Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John McCain's latest stunt, bash VP moderator Gwen Ifill BEFORE debate

Default John McCain's latest stunt, bash VP moderator Gwen Ifill BEFORE debate

McCain laments selection of Ifill
    POLITICO
    Hours ahead of the vice presidential debate, Sen John McCain (R-Ariz.) criticized the selection of PBS's Gwen Ifill as moderator because she is writing a book called "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama."

“Frankly, I wish they had picked a moderator that isn’t writing a book favorable to Barack Obama — let's face it," McCain said on "Fox & Friends." "But I have to have confidence that Gwen Ifill will handle this as the professional journalist that she is. ...
    "Life isn’t fair, as I mentioned earlier in the program."
    Ifill is moderator and managing editor of "Washington Week" and senior correspondent of "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer." She is viewed as one of Washington's fairest journalists.
    The propriety of her selection as moderator for tonight's debate between Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) and Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.) was questioned by conservatives after the Drudge Report drew attention to her book, to be published in January.
    McCain took a different tack the day before, telling Fox News in another interview: "I think that Gwen Ifill is a professional, and I think that she will do a totally objective job because she is a highly respected professional. Does this help that if she has written a book that is favorable to Senator Obama? Probably not, but I have confidence that Gwen Ifill will do a professional job. And I have that confidence."
    Palin told conservative radio host Sean Hannity on Wednesday that the supposed conflict would just make her "try harder." Here's their exchange:
    HANNITY: Let me ask you one last question. There's been this issue that the moderator of tomorrow night's debate, Gwen Ifill, is apparently writing a book to come out the time the next president takes office, and apparently, I actually have the tape, and I'll play it for you. This is Gwen Ifill talking about the book and it seems very favorable to Barack Obama, I want to ask you out of this if you're concerned about it.
    IFILL: My name is Gwen Ifill. I am the moderator and managing editor of Washington Week and a senior correspondent for the News Hour with Jim Lehrer. The title of the book is "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama." It's taking the story of Barack Obama and extending it to cover a whole new generation of black politicians who are doing similar things in different ways.
    HANNITY: Your thoughts, Governor, is that a concern at all to you?
    PALIN: You know, I'm not going to let it be a concern. Let me just tell you that John McCain has been in an underdog position before, and this ticket, I think it is safe to say, is in an underdog position. But that's what makes us work harder. It makes us want to communicate more clearly and profoundly with the electorate, letting them know what the contrasts are between these two tickets, It's motivating to me, even, to hear Gwen's comments there because, again, it makes us work that much harder, and it provides even more fairness and objectivity and choices for the voters on Nov. 4, if we try that much harder.
    Here McCain's exchange on "Fox & Friends," as released by Fox News Channel:
    HOST BRIAN KILMEADE: Right now a recent study says and the polls reflect that Barack Obama is gaining ever since this crisis has landed in everyone’s kitchen table, why is that?
    McCAIN: Because life isn’t fair. ... He certainly did nothing for the first few days. I suspended my campaign, took our ads down, came back to Washington, met with the House folks and got on the phone, and also had face to face meetings.
    HOST GRETCHEN CARLSON: Do you think it will work to your advantage [having Ifill moderate the debate given her book] because people will really be looking at her questions?
    McCAIN: Frankly, I wish they had picked a moderator that isn’t writing a book favorable to Barack Obama. Let’s face it. But I have to have to have confidence that Gwen Ifill will handle this as the professional journalist that she is. ... Life isn’t fair, as I mentioned earlier in the program.
    McCain laments selection of Ifill
    First off, Ifill's book was announced back in July, and it was getting press coverage when both McCain and Obama agreed on ALL of the moderators. This is just another stunt by McCain.

And I like how he whines like a five-year-old about how 'it's not fair' that the financial crisis has helped Obama in the polls.

But I bet if she wrote a book that was unfavorable to Obama, he'd be ok with Ifill as moderator.

He agreed to have her be the moderator Aug 6th.
    The book is not anything new.

1) the campaign didn't know about the book when they selected her, even though it had been announced weeks before. That's incompetence.

2) NOW Mctard has an issue with it? Distraction

3) We finally have a quote from him directly
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    He agreed to have her be the moderator Aug 6th.
    The book is not anything new.
    If McCain weren't lagging in the polls it would be a non issue.

Elite Member

HOST BRIAN KILMEADE: Right now a recent study says and the polls reflect that Barack Obama is gaining ever since this crisis has landed in everyone’s kitchen table, why is that?

McCAIN: Because life isn’t fair. ... He certainly did nothing for the first few days. I suspended my campaign, took our ads down, came back to Washington, met with the House folks and got on the phone, and also had face to face meetings.
    Doesn't McCain mean that he got in the way, offered no constructive advice, and basically got on everyone's already frayed nerves during that whole stunt?

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

He's just setting up the reason that Palin will not do well tonight.

Elite Member

Republican voters will support her no matter what it seems. Even if she does poorly tonight, they will place the blame on the moderator for asking biased/hard questions, on Biden for being sexist, on the liberal media for pointing out her incoherent ramblings...for people who like her there's nothing that will change their minds.

People who have already decided on Obama know Palin is ignorant. The only thing this debate will accomplish is to open the eyes of some undecided voters on what a clusterfuck the McCain/Palin ticket is.

Elite Member

The bloom has come off Palin's bush. ABC Evening News mentioned that one reason McCain is starting to lag behind Obama is that people are starting to have doubts about Palin. If it's being mentioned on broadcast TV, then it must really be getting bad for the McCain camp. It's all falling apart.

Guys, whatever. You are all just bitter jellus fatties who wish you were a POW like McOld!!!!!!!!!!!!

McCAIN: "Because life isn’t fair. ... " This should be his new campaign slogan. Vote for McCain because life isn't fair.

President McCain, what message would you like to send to the familes who lost everything in your latest war. "Tell them life isn't fair."

I have this disturbing feeling the "palin retard" thing has been a total put on persona, and that she'll somehow hold her own against biden tonight.

Rethugs never do anything at face value.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^Nothing would surprise me. But I can't believe she's that good of an actress.

We are having a debate watching party tonight. I even printed out Sarah Plain bingo cards palinbingo

Can't wait to see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I have this disturbing feeling the "palin retard" thing has been a total put on persona, and that she'll somehow hold her own against biden tonight.

Rethugs never do anything at face value.
    I think so too. Her debates for the Alaskan Governorship was much better than her interviews and it showed her pretty knowledgeable about those issues- but on the other hand this debate will involve national, international and economic knowledge and 4 weeks is not enough prep to get all the basics let alone the indepth knowledge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information