Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blaming the blacks: Desperate conservatives criticize VP debate moderator Gwen Ifill

Default Blaming the blacks: Desperate conservatives criticize VP debate moderator Gwen Ifill

Controversy brews up around VP debate moderator Ifill - CNN.com

Controversy brews up around VP debate moderator Ifill
    • Story Highlights
    • PBS' Gwen Ifill set to moderate Thursday's vice presidential debate
    • Conservative Web sites are criticizing her new book featuring Barack Obama
    • National Review's Geraghty: "further evidence of a jaw-dropping double standard"
    • Ifill was criticized for her facial expressions after Sarah Palin's RNC speech
    From Ed Hornick and Rebecca Sinderbrand
    CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Controversy swirled over vice presidential debate moderator Gwen Ifill one day before the face-off between Gov. Sarah Palin and Sen. Joe Biden, after new scrutiny was drawn to her upcoming book about Barack Obama.

In stories published Wednesday on NationalReview.com and WorldNetDaily's Web site, conservative commentators noted that "Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama" -- first announced several months ago -- is slated to be released around the inauguration of the next president in January 2009.

"...as if we needed any further evidence of a jaw-dropping double standard, we have to contemplate the sheer impossibility that someone who wrote a positive biography of [John] McCain being chosen to moderate a debate," wrote National Review.com's Jim Geraghty on Wednesday.

The book, published by Doubleday, has not yet been released to critics or the public.

Ifill discussed the book in a interview with The Washington Post on September 4, well before the Commission on Presidential Debates announced the debate moderators.

The McCain campaign said it had not seen Ifill's Post interview, or been aware of her book, until Tuesday. Using ineptitude as an excuse again, eh guys? McCain told CNN's Juan Carlos Lopez that the situation concerned him but that he was sure Ifill would be professional.

The Washington-based journalist is traveling to St. Louis and has not yet said publicly whether she might acknowledge the book on air before the start of Thursday night's debate. Watch analysts weigh in on Thursday's debate

"Right now Gwen is in St. Louis. Her focus is on the debate. ... I don't think it's anything she needs to worry about or address. It's in her bio, there have been articles about it," said PBS spokeswoman Anne Bell.

In the Post article by Howard Kurtz, host of CNN's "Reliable Sources," Ifill lashed back at criticism over moderating the debate.

"I'm in great demand -- everyone wants to talk to me -- but I'm not speaking for the whole race," Ifill said. "My job is to be a reporter. I cannot be the great interpreter. It's not my job to be on someone else's air telling them what black people think."

Ifill told Kurtz that as Obama accepted his party's nomination for president, a white television reporter asked her: "Aren't you just blown away by all of this?" She said she was not.

"Aren't you in the tank?" the reporter wondered, according to the article.

Kurtz also points out that "on one level, Ifill says, she views this moment as the daughter of a black minister who marched in civil rights demonstrations and who she wishes were alive to see what Obama has achieved."

Ifill told Kurtz, "I still don't know if he'll be a good president. I'm still capable of looking at his pros and cons in a political sense." Besides, Ifill says, "no one's ever assumed a white reporter can't cover a white candidate."

Ifill also discussed the upcoming book in the Kurtz interview.

She said her book would cover new black political leaders such as Obama, Gov. Deval Patrick of Massachusetts and Newark Mayor Cory Booker.

"We're very lazy when we think about race in this country. We try to put it in a box. It's Jesse [Jackson] versus Al [Sharpton], or Jesse and Al versus everyone else," she told Kurtz. "We love simplistic conflict. She's right...

There's a whole group of people who have Ivy League degrees and immense accomplishments who actually benefited from the things their parents were fighting for."

In the book, Ifill takes a look at the black political movement's beginnings during the Civil Rights movement that gave way "to a generation of men and women who are the direct beneficiaries of the struggles of the 1960s," according to the Amazon.com.

The Web site notes that Ifill drew on interviews from "power brokers" such as former Secretary of State Colin Powell, Vernon Jordan, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, and many others, as well as "her own razor-sharp observations and analysis of such issues as generational conflict and the 'black enough' conundrum, Ifill shows why this is a pivotal moment in American history.'

Ifill has been criticized in the past for her performance as a moderator -- most notably in 2004's vice presidential debate between Dick Cheney and ex-Sen. John Edwards. Edwards lashed out at Cheney's ties to Halliburton, to which Cheney responded: "I can respond, Gwen, but it's going to take more than 30 seconds."

Ifill shot back: "Well, that's all you've got."

And most recently, some PBS viewers complained about Ifill's facial expressions after Palin's acceptance speech during the Republican National Convention in September, according to the Associated Press.

"Those viewers apparently believed Ifill didn't seem
    sufficiently excited," the AP's David Bauder wrote Wednesday.

"We are all subject to that kind of scrutiny," Ifill told Bauder. "If you're frowning to think after a long night on your feet ... you're not even aware that your face is frowning to think. You're just thinking."

"I know where my head was," the Washington-based journalist also told the AP. "So that's what counts."
    Ifill made news Tuesday after it was reported she broke her ankle in her Washington home while carrying debate prep material.

Ifill said that would not hinder her from traveling to the debate.

Ifill's career spans decades. Previously to working at PBS, Ifill was a reporter for NBC News, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Baltimore Sun and Boston Herald American.
    Why did they wait until NOW to bring up this "concern" when everyone already knew about it? Could it have anything to do with Obama smashing McCain in the polls?

Synopsis

In THE BREAKTHROUGH, veteran journalist Gwen Ifill surveys the American political landscape, shedding new light on the impact of Barack Obama’s stunning presidential campaign and introducing the emerging young African American politicians forging a bold new path to political power.

Ifill argues that the Black political structure formed during the Civil Rights movement is giving way to a generation of men and women who are the direct beneficiaries of the struggles of the 1960s.

She offers incisive, detailed profiles of such prominent leaders as Newark Mayor Cory Booker, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, and U.S. Congressman Artur Davis of Alabama, and also covers up-and-coming figures from across the nation.

Drawing on interviews with power brokers like Senator Obama, former Secretary of State Colin Powell, Vernon Jordan, the Reverend Jesse Jackson, and many others, as well as her own razor-sharp observations and analysis of such issues as generational conflict and the "black enough" conundrum, Ifill shows why this is a pivotal moment in American history.

THE BREAKTHROUGH is a remarkable look at contemporary politics and an essential foundation for understanding the future of American democracy.

I'm sure they are putting this out there in anticipation of Palin's dismal performance on Thursday.
    Last edited by Belinda; October 1st, 2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling

I predict a last-ditch effort made by McCain's camp before the debate. Something about "conflict of interest" or "damn liberals"...

If Gwen is fair, there should be no issue here. She did a nice job in 2004.

Curious, though. If a conservative writer were picked to be a debate moderator, would anyone have an issue with it?

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

McCain sure didn't have a problem with her 2 months ago despite news of the book being out. SURPRISE.

John McCain must be demented if he chose Gwen Ifill to moderate the vice presidential debate WEEKS AFTER she had announced she was doing a book about race in America in the Obama age, but now, 24 hours before the debate, McCain is suddenly upset about Ifill's book.

He wasn't upset about it two months ago when he PICKED Ifill to be the moderator. But now he is. 24 hours before the debate, when it's too late to do much other than cancel the debate. Isn't that interesting.

It's one more example of John McCain's erratic behavior, behavior that is getting more and more confused and incomprehensible. Is McCain's strange behavior related to the mysterious physical malady we reported on earlier today (many thought it looked like a mini-stroke, but others have suggested it could be a reaction to Alzheimer's medicine), or is it simply John McCain makes a desperate move to shut down the debate now that his rash choice for vice president has proven herself to be a blithering idiot?

Remember, just last week McCain tried to shut down the VP debate due to the economic crisis. And now it's Gwen Ifill "suddenly" being biased, when McCain himself chose her two months ago.

Let this be a warning to everyone in the media. John McCain will destroy your reputation, if it will get him one step closer to the White House.

Oh, and one final point. Drop Ifill. I don't care. Pick Judy Woodruff instead. Just don't pick a man instead, because that's what McCain wants. I suspect McCain believes a man will be nicer to Palin than a woman would be, or McCain wants a man asking the hard questions, so it will look like two mean men beating up the poor helps future commander in chief of the United States Armed Forces. Don't give McCain the pleasure. Pick another woman and be done with it. And watch Judy eat her alive.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ And he doesn't have a problem with her now. He stated today he doesn't care as long as she is objective. He said:
    ""I think that Gwen Ifill is a professional, and I think she will do a totally objective job, because she is a highly-respected professional," McCain said.

if he didnt have a problem with it, it wouldnt be all over the news
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    if he didnt have a problem with it, it wouldnt be all over the news
    He has publicly stated today he had no problem with it, as the exact quote above shows.

Show me a quote from McCain himself to the contrary, not a commentary from a blog, and you have a story. Otherwise, its a non issue.

It's not McCain, it's his proxies. They're the ones being pissy about it. He's not going to get on air, nuts as he is, and start haranguing her.

I'm no Palin supporter, but the moderator should always be fair and objective- I hope she is.

she better be.

i dont think anybody would complain about a moderator unless they didnt do their job properly.

be fair down the line. No pussyfooting, no being 'easy' on poor wilting flower Palin (who's had enough freeebies given to her and enough coddling) and no favoring one over the other.

Faux News has already started putting out there that if Ifill starts asking about foreign policy issues, she'll be showing bias toward Biden because of his experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    He has publicly stated today he had no problem with it, as the exact quote above shows.

Show me a quote from McCain himself to the contrary, not a commentary from a blog, and you have a story. Otherwise, its a non issue.

Absolutely. This is how politics works in America.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Faux News has already started putting out there that if Ifill starts asking about foreign policy issues, she'll be showing bias toward Biden because of his experience.
    Shocker!

I expect her to parrot McCain on foreign policy anyway. I want Gwen to ask unexpected questions. That'll be the real test.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    She's being biased towards experience? Maybe Palin should have some experience then. If she doesn't, maybe she shouldn't be a fucking candidate.

Idiots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information