Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSNBC: who shouldn't be blamed

Default MSNBC: who shouldn't be blamed

FIRST THOUGHTS: WHO SHOULDN'T BE BLAMED

*** Who shouldn't be blamed: Just when you thought there couldn’t be any more twists and turns in this election year, the House yesterday rejected the Bush Administration’s $700 billion bailout package and the Dow plummeted. It's hard to find any blameless characters in this congressional bailout mess. But is it possible what Congress did yesterday was exactly what the voters wanted? The voters don't trust this current team in Washington -- or on Wall Street -- to do, well, anything.

Video: NBC's political director, Chuck Todd, offers his first read on the fallout for the presidential candidates following the failed financial bailout effort.

Here are some startling numbers from our last NBC/WSJ poll: 73% said we're on the wrong track; 65% disapprove of Bush’s job; 73% disapprove of the job Congress is doing; and only 19% have "a lot" of confidence in the federal government, and that's higher than the confidence level the public has in corporate America (11%) or the financial industry (10%). So given all these polling figures, is it any wonder the public logged so many calls into Congress demanding their members vote against this bill? By the way, while many (including us) are talking about a crisis in leadership in Washington, it is worth noting that a powerful bipartisan coalition against the bailout has come from both the left and the right.

*** "Lord of the Flies" inside the GOP: So who runs the Republican Party? Apparently nobody. Perhaps the most startling political development was the amazing lack of leadership on the GOP side of the aisle. Let's run down the list of Republican leaders who attempted to persuade skeptical House Republicans: President Bush, John McCain, Dick Cheney, and John Boehner. (We'd add Newt Gingrich to this list, but no one is quite sure if his last-minute support was actually cover for his behind the scenes whipping against the bill.) Bush's leadership and trust issues within his party has been evidenced for quite some time, and the icing on the Bush legacy cake is that fact that he could only convince FOUR Texas House Republicans to support his bill. And then there's John McCain, who last week decided to insert himself into the process and then (before the bailout failed) took credit for getting wavering House Republicans on board.

Perhaps he did get a few wayward House GOPers on board -- but it wasn’t enough. Now McCain gets a double stomach punch: He's stuck being seen as supportive of this bailout (which isn’t exactly popular with the conservative grassroots) and he gets to share in the blame for the defeat since he didn't have enough political capital to get this done (By the way, not a single member of the Arizona GOP delegation voted for this bill). Watching the McCain campaign deal with this yesterday, one could sense that they were fearful that they were going to look inept and take an even deeper political wound than they sustained last week.

*** Democrats can't escape blame: Pelosi missed a huge opportunity to become an historic speaker and instead invited comparisons to Tom DeLay by deciding to deliver a more partisan speech than necessary at the time. There would have been time for partisan politics AFTER the vote, but to do it before seemed like a strategic blunder.

Video: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi takes to the floor to announce "this legislation is not the end of the line," in the cleanup of the financial situation in the U.S. markets.

Pelosi played into the stereotype she had been very adept at avoiding most of these last two years. That said, did it really cost any GOP votes? Unlikely. But it did give the House GOP leadership a talking point to deflect from its own failure. Obama, who as McCain pointed out (probably jealously) kept a healthy distance from this process, didn't seem to try and exert any influence on some of the "no" votes from the progressive/liberal side of the Democratic caucus. A large chunk of those "no" voters were very early supporters of Obama during the primary. Would a true campaign by Obama to vote for this bill have persuaded another handful of Dems? Possibly. Then again, Democrats were never going to jump off this cliff by themselves. Still, what's another 12 votes at this point if this legislation is so necessary?

*** Profiles in political posturing: So while the "no" voters have tried to portray themselves as the courageous ones (and maybe they'll ultimately be proven right), it's interesting that some 90% of the members of Congress who are worried about the election hides -- either this November or in a GOP primary next cycle -- voted no. By our count, there appear to be, maybe, five potential profiles in courage (casting an unpopular vote with their constituents) with two members worth pointing out by name: Republican Jon Porter of Nevada, who is locked in an intense battle in Nevada's 3rd CD, and Democrat Jim Marshall, who never has an easy time at re-election in Georgia's 8th District.

Here are some other ways to slice and dice the "no" votes. Every Arizona House Republican voted against McCain's wishes; seven of the 11 Illinois House Democrats voted the way Obama wanted. Of the 24 retiring House Republicans who are not on the ballot for anything in November, 19 voted for the bailout, four voted against, and one didn't vote. Of the five statewide candidates still in the House, all but one voted AGAINST the bailout, including both Democratic Udalls and Republicans Pearce of New Mexico and Hulshof of Missouri. Only Maine's Tom Allen, who is a massive underdog to Susan Collins in Maine, voted “yes” of the state-widers.

First thoughts: Who shouldn't be blamed - First Read - msnbc.com
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

If dear Nancy had kept her mouth shut-but noooo! So we will never know what would have happened. She never misses an opportunity to be a Democrat instead of an American. And that,dear friends is what is staring us in the face should McCain win. The thought of her edging toward the Presidency is awful. Can you imagin-Palin and Pelosi? Good grief.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's not Nancy's fault. Congress votes on bills, not speeches.

The people who voted no are the people responsible for voting no. No one else.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

It's Nancy's fault that she's a cunt.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congress wasn't voting on a cunt, they were voting on a bill.

Yeah, the republicans had their feelings hurt (not like they havent been bashing Dems for 20 years, saying vastly more horrible things) so they voted out of SPITE?

Are you for fucking real?

and people are defending that? they're defending 100 something adults acting like children having a tantrum?

wtf are people smoking and where can i get some
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Fuck 'em all, I hate every bloody handed one of them. If they want to give away that much money, put it into the pockets of Americans so we can spend it, create jobs, and bolster the economy. TRICKLE UP. Yeah, that's the ticket. Fuck giving that kind of money to the morons responsible for this mess in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    It's not Nancy's fault. Congress votes on bills, not speeches.

The people who voted no are the people responsible for voting no. No one else.
    Oh hell yes it is. She allowed herself to be used as a scapegoat. She could have stayed above it,but was unable to resist an "I told you so" to a bunch of dimwits looking for something to get miffed about. She walked right in.
    Furthermore THIS Congress votes on God knows what. They are a collective bunch of self serving twits-not mature people like we need.Congress is SUPPOSED to vote on bills not speeches,but some of them actually did just that. She gave them the ammo-they pulled the trigger. I don't think they were really going to vote for it anyway,but as I said-now we will never know.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

No, I agree its not Pelosi's fault, but she sure as hell deserves all the shit that can be thrown at her. That BS she pulled was so ridiculous and uncalled for.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

In the end, the rethugs own it. Maybe she did it on purpose. Maybe she's smarter than the average bear

Still, the rethugs should vote like adults.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Again, if members of Congress decide to ignore what is Constitutionally required of them, to vote on legislation, that is their own personal decision.

If the House Republicans are more concerned with what Nancy Pelosi's opinion of them is than the actual experiences and struggles of the everyday American, that is their own choice as well.

Sasha, I'm going to wait for the day that a politician announces their policy of TRICKLE UP ECONOMICS!!

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Has anyone here actually bothered to read the bill they voted on? It's awful! It gives scary amounts of power to those in the administration that might abuse it. It would allow Paulson to do things such as take US taxpayer dollars and bail out international banks at his own discretion without ANY oversight along with many other powers of control. Basically it hands control for our economy, credit lines, mortgages to one man! The bill is available for anyone to read online and last night Republican s and Democrats were on MSNBC explaining in great detail why it was a bad bill because it allowed one individual too much sweeping power, not due to any speech giving by Pelosi.

it's my understanding that such was the original bill, but that the dems said oh no way, fuck that.. stuffed in controls, capped CEO packages and put in a bunch of oversight.. and that was the one that failed

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Both bills contained too much power for Paulson (sic?) and from what I was hearing last night the new one wasn't much of an improvement on the original.

Both bills were horrible. Full of pork that had nothing to do with the economic crisis. And with the majority of the American public opposed to the bailout, this ended as it should.

Why and the world should any US citizen and taxpayer bail out foreign banks? Screw that.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information