Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sergeant Jopek's bracelet

Default Sergeant Jopek's bracelet

Family Told Obama NOT To Wear Soldier Son's Bracelet... Where is Media?

By Warner Todd Huston (Bio | Archive)
    September 28, 2008 - 03:53 ET
    • <LI class=last_task>

**UPDATE - 09/28/08 PM**
    Barack Obama played the "me too" game during the Friday debates on September 26 after Senator John McCain mentioned that he was wearing a bracelet with the name of Cpl. Matthew Stanley, a resident of New Hampshire and a soldier that lost his life in Iraq in 2006. Obama said that he too had a bracelet. After fumbling and straining to remember the name, he revealed that his had the name of Sergeant Ryan David Jopek of Merrill, Wisconsin.
    Shockingly, however, Madison resident Brian Jopek, the father of Ryan Jopek, the young soldier who tragically lost his life to a roadside bomb in 2006, recently said on a Wisconsin Public Radio show that his family had asked Barack Obama to stop wearing the bracelet with his son's name on it. Yet Obama continues to do so despite the wishes of the family.

Story Continues Below Ad ↓

Radio host Glenn Moberg of the show "Route 51" asked Mr. Jopek, a man who believes in the efforts in Iraq and is not in favor of Obama's positions on the war, what he and his ex-wife think of Obama continually using their son's name on the campaign trail. (h/t D. Keith Howington of www.dehavelle.com)
    Jopek began by saying that his ex-wife was taken aback, even upset, that Obama has made the death of her son a campaign issue. Jopek says his wife gave Obama the bracelet because "she just wanted Mr. Obama to know Ryan's name." Jopek went on to say that "she wasn't looking to turn it into a big media event" and "just wanted it to be something between Barack Obama and herself." Apparently, they were all shocked it became such a big deal.
    But, he also said that his ex-wife has refused further interviews on the matter and that she wanted Obama to stop wearing the reminder of her son's sacrifice that he keeps turning into a campaign soundbyte. This begins at about 10 minutes into the radio program. (Download radio show HERE)
    TRANSCRIPT

He should have honored the mothers wishes instead of trying to one-up McCain
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

did he stop wearing it after she expressed her views? did she try to contact him?

Ooops, article doesnt say.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

who knows..Lets hope so! But the thing is that she expressed her views and he continued to wear it on the campaign trail and at the debate..
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

really? where does it say that.

Oh there it is. They asked him to stop wearing it.

K, did they write him a letter? Call him? Did he say HAHAHAH NO, fuck you guys?

.. or did they just go on some radio show and bitch?

Frankly, he got the bracelet and then went on to tell the country about it (you know, put a face on war) and now the family is pissy about it?

Really?

They wanted a presidential candidate to have a dead kids momento but didn't actually want any light to be shed on the reasons for him dying?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

There is more to this story.

Soldier's Mother "Ecstatic" about Obama's Bracelet
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 --- 4:40 p.m.

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The mother of a Wisconsin soldier who died in Iraq says she was "ecstatic" during Friday's debate when Senator Barack Obama mentioned the bracelet she gave him in honor of her son.

Tracy Jopek of Merrill told The Associated Press on Sunday she was honored that he remembered Sgt. Ryan David Jopek, who was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb.

She criticized Internet reports that suggested Obama exploited her son for political purposes.

She acknowledges e-mailing the campaign in February asking that Obama not mention her son in speeches or debates.

But she says Obama's mention on Friday was appropriate because he was responding after Senator John McCain said a soldier's mother gave him a bracelet.

Jopek says Obama's comment rightfully suggested there's more than one viewpoint on the war.

it's all over the news grimm..Why dont you search it yourself..i have found several stories on it but I am not going to post every one..You just choose to believe he is such a perfect person that he would never do such a thing..None of them are perfect..
    Rip Mom

k, so some people say she's pissed, and some people say she loved it.

good job, media.

I guess you missed the above story in your searches though. It must be because Obama is THE ANTI CHRIST.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    it's all over the news grimm..Why dont you search it yourself..i have found several stories on it but I am not going to post every one..You just choose to believe he is such a perfect person that he would never do such a thing..None of them are perfect..
    Why don't you get the whole story first. This has been ALL over the internet for days. Read my post above.

Family Asked Obama Not to Wear Son's Bracelet?

Politics | Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 8:14:39 am PST
    According to Newsbusters, the family of the fallen soldier whose name is on a bracelet that Barack Obama wears asked Obama to stop wearing it.
    Barack Obama played the “me too” game during the Friday debates on September 26 after Senator John McCain mentioned that he was wearing a bracelet with the name of Cpl. Matthew Stanley, a resident of New Hampshire and a soldier that lost his life in Iraq in 2006. Obama said that he too had a bracelet. After fumbling and straining to remember the name, he revealed that his had the name of Sergeant Ryan David Jopek of Merrill, Wisconsin.
    Shockingly, however, Madison resident Brian Jopek, the father of Ryan Jopek, the young soldier who tragically lost his life to a roadside bomb in 2006, recently said on a Wisconsin Public Radio show that his family had asked Barack Obama to stop wearing the bracelet with his son’s name on it. Yet Obama continues to do so despite the wishes of the family.
    UPDATE at 9/28/08 9:34:31 pm:
    The AP says: Soldier’s mom defends Obama’s mention of bracelet.
    Well, sort of. She did ask Obama not to wear it, but now says she’s fine with it.

Rip Mom

She asked him not to then she was fine with it..whatever
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by betagrl View Post
    Why don't you get the whole story first. This has been ALL over the internet for days. Read my post above.
    looks like there is more to the story..like 2 sides..
    Rip Mom

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The mother of a Wisconsin soldier who died in Iraq says she was "ecstatic" when Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama mentioned during Friday's debate the bracelet she gave him in honor of her son.

Tracy Jopek of Merrill told The Associated Press on Sunday she was honored that Obama remembered Sgt. Ryan David Jopek, who was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb.

Jopek criticized Internet reports suggesting Obama, D-Ill., exploited her son for political purposes.

"I don't understand how people can take that and turn it into some garbage on the Internet," she said.

Jopek acknowledged e-mailing the Obama campaign in February asking that the presidential candidate not mention her son in speeches or debates. But she said Obama's mention on Friday was appropriate because he was responding after Sen. John McCain, the Republican nominee, said a soldier's mother gave him a bracelet.

"I've got a bracelet, too, from Sergeant - from the mother of Sergeant Ryan David Jopek, given to me in Green Bay," Obama said during the debate. "She asked me, 'Can you please make sure another mother is not going through what I'm going through?' No U.S. soldier ever dies in vain because they're carrying out the missions of their commander in chief. And we honor all the service that they've provided."

Jopek says Obama's comment rightfully suggested there's more than one viewpoint on the war.

She wouldn't directly say whether she wanted Obama to refrain from mentioning the bracelet again, but said she hopes the issue will just go away.

"I think these bracelets should be looked upon as an honor that both candidates wear them to respect the troops," Jopek said. "My request to both of them is that they honor the troops by lifting the conversation to the issues, and that they continue to live up to the standards our military deserves."

2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.
    *scratches head*

scratch away..
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    She asked him not to then she was fine with it..whatever
    It was comments from her ex-husband, not her that started this whole controversy.

"His response in the debate was exactly that, a response, after John McCain put it out there first," she said. "I think it was an appropriate response -- he was just saying there's another side to the story, there's two different viewpoints."

Obama's comment sparked a number of angry comments from bloggers who suggested Obama was exploiting her son's death to score political points. Jopek said those bloggers might have heard comments that her son's father made on Wisconsin Public Radio on March 20.

In an interview with Glen Moberg, National Guard Staff Sgt. Brian Jopek said his ex-wife asked Obama not to wear the bracelet at any further public appearances. But Obama was still apparently wearing it, he said.

"So, that's his own choice. I mean that's something Barack Obama, that's a choice that he continues to wear it despite Tracy asking him not to," he told Moberg.

Tracy Jopek said she didn't hear the interview but that her ex-husband, who is currently stationed in Cuba, mischaracterized her viewpoint. An e-mail message sent to Brian Jopek through his daughter on Sunday was not immediately returned.

"I think he knew my intention, he understands it was a gesture between me and Sen. Obama," she said. "It was just little piece of peace for us. I don't understand how people can take that and turn it into some garbage on the Internet."
    source: Soldier's mom defends Obama's mention of bracelet -- chicagotribune.com
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

We still had a laugh when he said " I have a bracelet too" I would have laughed if it was the other way around..sounds like 2 kids on the playground..
    Rip Mom

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information