Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Sullivan demands paternity test for Trig Palin

Default Andrew Sullivan demands paternity test for Trig Palin

Baby Talk

By Howard Kurtz
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008; 10:10 AM

Is it fair, at this stage of the game, to raise questions about Sarah Palin's baby?

Blogger Andrew Sullivan has been drawing flak in the online world for expressing skepticism about the circumstances surrounding the governor's pregnancy. He first weighed in on the question back on Aug. 31, when Internet rumors were swirling that 4-month-old Trig Palin may have been born not to the veep nominee, but to her 17-year-old daughter Bristol. A day later, the McCain campaign announced that Bristol Palin was five months pregnant, seemingly diffusing any controversy about Trig's birth.

Here's part of Sullivan's original Atlantic post on the topic: "The circumstantial evidence for weirdness around this pregnancy is so great that legitimate questions arise -- questions anyone with common sense would ask. The answers to those questions can easily be provided. . .

"Why would a 43-year-old woman, on her fifth pregnancy, with a Down Syndrome child, after her amniotic fluid has started to leak, not go to the nearest hospital immediately, even if she was in Texas for a speech? . . . Why did the flight attendants on the trip home say she bore no signs of being pregnant?"

Last week, Sullivan, a British conservative who became disgusted with the Bush administration and is a passionate advocate for Barack Obama, sent an e-mail query to the McCain campaign:

"I'm very sorry to say, it's come to this: can you confirm on the record that Trig Palin is Sarah Palin's biological son? . . . Since this is a crazy idea, it should be easy for you or someone to let me know, the most popular one-man political blog site in the world, what the truth is."

A day later, he followed up with a second note: "I asked a simple question akin to asking whether you can confirm that the sky is blue. Here's the question in case it got lost: can you confirm on the record that Trig Palin is Sarah Palin's biological son? Can I please get a response of some sort, even if it is that you will not respond?" The McCain camp, which provided the messages to The Washington Post, did not reply.

Why ask that question, with no supporting evidence? "Like any human being," Sullivan told me by e-mail, "I assume that this baby is hers. Of course I do. But as a journalist, my job is also to ask for confirmation or for evidence. And that is all I have done. By e-mail. Not on my blog. I would be remiss if I did not ask them to confirm it. At least that's my view of my responsibility. And I have published every single piece of evidence we have that he is. What else can I do?" He added that McCain aides "won't respond" but "seek to target the blogger asking the question."

Sullivan did post photos of a pregnant-looking Palin when the pictures surfaced.

Is this a case of the McCain folks trying to marginalize a critic, as in Monday's blast at the New York Times as being in the tank for Obama?

"These e-mails show two things," McCain spokesman Michael Goldfarb told me. "One, Andrew Sullivan has the biggest one-man ego on the planet. And two, the insanity that this campaign has had to put up with for the last month."

Why not release the hospital records and put this matter to rest?
    "Governor Palin has no history of health problems," Goldfarb says. "We believe that a candidate should be able to preserve some privacy in this process, and we're confident the American people will validate that judgment come election day."

Sullivan, one of the earliest bloggers, has been on a tear about Palin lately, calling her "a compulsive, repetitive, demonstrable liar." But it is the Trig question that has his critics, especially on the right, up in arms. For instance, the Weekly Standard's Jonathan Last, on his Galley Slaves blog, says: "Andrew Sullivan is once again openly using The Atlantic as a platform to demand that Sarah Palin 'prove' that she is mother of her youngest child. It is a disgrace for the magazine and everyone associated with it. One hundred and fifty years of storied history set ablaze in fortnight by a single writer."

There's a difference, obviously, between the fact-checked copy that goes into the magazine and the free-wheeling platform that Atlantic gives its bloggers. But Sullivan's Trig postings have troubled some of his colleagues, and he has been in a veiled debate with fellow Atlantic writer Ross Douthat, who wrote:
    "If you think that many of the same people who bleat the loudest about the evils of 'Rove-style' politics aren't happy to similarly dirty their hands for the sake of their own causes and candidates -- well, you need only look at some of the coverage of Sarah Palin's family to see how quickly principle gives way to expedience when power is at stake."

Sullivan responded to his detractors last week:
    "All this blog has done is ask for facts and context about a subject that the Palin campaign has put at the center of its message, facts about a baby held up at a convention as a political symbol for the pro-life movement, and cited in Palin's acceptance speech. You do that, you invite questions about it. I make absolutely no apologies for doing my job. I find the account of her pregnancy and labor provided by Palin to be perplexing, to put it mildly, and I have every right to ask questions about it, especially since we have discovered that this woman lies more compulsively and less intelligently than the Clintons."

Howard Kurtz - Baby Talk - washingtonpost.com
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Everything is just so fucking absurd.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I saw Andrew on Bill Maher's show about a week ago. He's kind of inconsistent in his views, but at least someone's asking for a paternity test. Where's Maury when you need him?

Elite Member

Count me in as one of the suspicious but the DNA test will never happen.

She's fucking up enough on her own. We do not need a dna test that would harm her children needlessly. They are her victims too. They suffer enough on a daily basis.

We all know she walked next door to Russia and stole that baby.

Also Andrew Sullivan HATES Palin with a deep passion. But I think there is lots of ammo on Palin than the baby story but I agree there is something fishy about the whole thing and its interesting that she hasnt released her medical records.

If she looked that pregnant in her 8th month (the baby was premature,
    right?), then how come her staff didn't know she was pregnant until
    she told them in her 7th month? You go from nothing to that in one
    month, in your fifth pregnancy?
    And when you're that big, the crew on the airplane had no clue she
    was pregnant? It's not like she's fat overall, in this pic it's really just
    the bump. No matter how much (and how late!) photographic "proof"
    becomes available, there's still something fishy going on.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

As much as I hate Palin, the baby is a non-issue at this point. I still don't believe Palin's the mother, but we don't need to push for a paternity test. Because then it becomes another excuse for McCain to paint her as the 'victim of sexism,' and take the focus from the real issues.

I think in one of the interviews she stated that Trig was 4 months old but hes closer to 5/6 months now. For a mother she sure doesnt keep facts for her child's age right.

Leave her alone y'all; she has a vagina and babies. What more do you want from her?

Bronze Member

I don't much agree with Andrew Sullivan, but I do think this issue needs to be investigated.

F*ck it! When you are running for V-P of the U.S. (also meaning that there is a serious chance you could be President) your whole life becomes an open book. Palin has gotten in WAY over her head in a million ways, her idiocy being only one.

Remember in the 90's when "character" was the big issue for Republicans? They said Bill Clinton did not have "character" enough to be a respectable President. Now, I don't much like Clinton myself, but he was impeached for a BJ! Bush and Cheney are war criminals, yet Clinton was impeached for jizzing on a moronic girl's blue dress. If that is an impeachable issue, then the paternity of Palin's supposed son is up for discussion too!

It's pretty clear by all of the deflection that the initial rumor is indeed accurate, and if that is the case, this woman is not even fit to be a mother, let alone a world leader!

JMHO
    Last edited by rebelpleb; September 26th, 2008 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    We all know she walked next door to Russia and stole that baby.

Elite Member

I don't know whose baby Trig is but I don't really think it's my business, I'm naturally curious but I don't think Bristol needs to be scrutinized like this. She's 17, that's a hard age, add to that she's pregnant, engaged and mom's running for VP of the US. I could have done without knowing about Monica Lewinsky too.

If Bristol Palin is woman enough to willfully spread her legs and procreate (once that we know of, quite possibly twice) then she can take a little bit of scrutiny about her behavior while living under her mama's roof/rule.

I think it's totally our business that her mom who wants to be our veep might be underhanded enough to outright lie and pull a stunt like this.

If Bristol Palin gets hurt, it's a small price to pay IMO. And one that she and her own mom are to blame for.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information