Thread: Nancy Pelosi: John McCain's involvement 'a blip'

Default Nancy Pelosi: John McCain's involvement 'a blip'

Pelosi: McCain's involvement 'a blip'
    POLITICO
    House Speaker Nancy Pelosi took on the notion that John McCain has helped in the federal bailout negotiations Friday, calling the Arizona senator’s involvement “a blip.”

“He hasn't been involved in this, and now, as there's some discussion about putting this off, I don't think that we can do that,” Pelosi said on “Good Morning America.”
    “I think Sen. McCain's involvement is sort of a blip.”
    Pelosi called Thursday's meeting with the president, congressional leaders and the presidential candidates “disruptive” to the negotiations “because we had to begin writing the bill.”
    “We can't take the bill to the floor until the bill is written, and we were on a path to that. It took a whole afternoon. And that time is important to us,” Pelosi said.
    White House spokeswoman Dana Perino disagreed with Pelosi’s contention that the meeting was disruptive.
    “The meeting was a constructive thing to do, because everyone was able to lay it all out on the table, vent their frustrations if they had them,” Perino said on Fox. “There was a spirit of cooperation and understanding that we've got to come together and get this done.”
    Since McCain announced that he would suspend his campaign to focus on the economic crisis, Pelosi has contended that his help is unneeded.
    Describing the phone call she received from McCain shortly before he suspended his campaign, Pelosi told reporters during her weekly press conference that the Arizona senator “said that he was calling because nothing was happening, and there was no progress being made on all of this; he was calling a meeting, and would I come.”
    “Well, Senator, I have good news for you,” Pelosi responded. “Quite a bit has been done. The deliberations are going forward, and we make progress every day, and I don't see any reason for us to come to a meeting based on a premise that nothing is being done, because plenty is. We're moving in a forward direction, and we'd like to keep on our path to get that done.”
    Pelosi also insisted Friday that Democrats “simply don't” share responsibility for the problem.
    “The Democrats believe in free markets, and that's part of our system. But what the Republicans have done in, you know, the eight years that President Bush has been in office have had an anything-goes approach. No supervision, no regulation,” the California Democrat said.
    But while Pelosi and several other leading Democrats have characterized the GOP nominee’s involvement as a hindrance to the process, the McCain camp contends that he has played an important role in the negotiations.
    “With all respect to my colleagues, they could not be more wrong,” McCain confidant Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman said. “Particularly the ones who said that John somehow disrupted an agreement that was formed yesterday to solve this problem.”
    Lieberman said that McCain “felt that yesterday the best thing he could do is to listen and then try to work with all sides to make that happen. That's what he was doing all day yesterday.”
    Pelosi: McCain's involvement 'a blip'

McCain really didn't do anything but disrupt the process.

Mccain shouldn't have gotten involved at all.

It could've been worse. McCain could've sent Palin to D.C. to screw up the negotiations.

^^ She would have seen Virginia from there!!!

Seriously - now that she has been to the UN will it count as more foreign affairs experience?

^^That's how McCain will spin it. He'll say that since she saw the U.N. and did some photo-ops with a few world leaders that she's strong on foreign policy. And don't forget, Laura Bush said she's a quick study. So, Palin's probably ready to debate foreign policy with Henry Kissinger.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    ^^That's how McCain will spin it. He'll say that since she saw the U.N. and did some photo-ops with a few world leaders that she's strong on foreign policy. And don't forget, Laura Bush said she's a quick study. So, Palin's probably ready to debate foreign policy with Henry Kissinger.

^^That's how McCain will spin it. He'll say that since she saw the U.N. and did some photo-ops with a few world leaders that she's strong on foreign policy.
    Well I've ridden on planes before but that doesn't mean I'm qualified enough to FLY the fucking thing! HAHAHAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    Well I've ridden on planes before but that doesn't mean I'm qualified enough to FLY the fucking thing! HAHAHAHAHA
    If your name was Sarah Palin, you'd be a certified pilot/flight instructor.

And don't forget, Laura Bush said she's a quick study.
    If Palin's interview with Couric is any indication (after at least a few weeks of studying), apparently Laura's definition of "quick" isn't the same as mine.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    If Palin's interview with Couric is any indication (after at least a few weeks of studying), apparently Laura's definition of "quick" isn't the same as mine.
    Seriously, I'm stilll reeling from the train wreck. I could maybe take Mittens. Hell, at this point even Huckabee is looking pretty good. But this dunce scares the crap out of me. Wow, she is really, really unqualified to be where she is at.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Keep in mind that Laura is married to Dubya, and he's had eight years to study up on being a good president and didn't figure it out. So, by quick, she probably means in 20 or 30 years.

Now, now, don't be mean, remember what Charles Rangel said about her: "You gotta be kind to the disabled".

Thread Information