Thread: Bill Clinton: Don't 'overly parse' John McCain's request to delay debate

Default Bill Clinton: Don't 'overly parse' John McCain's request to delay debate

Former President Bill Clinton defended Sen. John McCain's request to delay the first presidential debate, saying McCain did it in "good faith" and pushed organizers to reserve time for economy talk during the debate if the Friday plans move forward.

Appearing on Good Morning America Thursday, Clinton told ABC News' Chris Cuomo that McCain's push to postpone the debate would only be a good political move if both candidates agreed. McCain announced on Wednesday that he would "suspend" his presidential campaign to come to Washington to help negotiate a financial bailout bill

"We know he didn't do it because he's afraid because Sen. McCain wanted more debates," Clinton said, adding that he was "encouraged" by the joint statement from McCain and Sen. Barack Obama.

"You can put it off a few days the problem is it's hard to reschedule those things," Clinton said, "I presume he did that in good faith since I know he wanted -- I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country and so I don't think we ought to overly parse that."

If the debate moves forward as planned for Friday night, Clinton says "they should be able to talk about this some of the debate because it is a security issue."

The former president thought Bush's address Wednesday night on the economic crisis had a "positive reaction".

"I thought it was the clearest statement of why we're in the fix we're in, at least what the nature of it is and why some national action is needed," Clinton said.

He said that both Democrats and Republicans "should move as quickly as they can" on the president's economic rescue plan but that both parties "want to know exactly how this $700 billion is going to be invested..to stabilize the system."

President Bush's bipartisan meeting on the economic crisis will take place at 4pm at the White House, both Obama and McCain will be in attendance.

Political Radar: Bill Clinton: Don't 'Overly Parse' McCain Request to Delay Debate
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

for the last time: WILL BILL CLINTON PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP

Can he go 5 fucking minutes without helping the opposition? Obama needs to leash him right fucking now.

Jesus CHRIST
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bill really needs to remember what candidate he's suppose to be supporting. He's not doing himself any favors by constantly cutting McCain/Palin so much slack.

^^ Bill does remember who he is supporting...

It's just not the candidate everyone thinks he should be supporting.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I really do believe he is doing this to give the appearance of taking the high road. Then he will slam them down when he goes on the road to promote Obama.

Yeah, Hillary for 2012.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

It's just not the candidate everyone thinks he should be supporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yeah, Hillary for 2012.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    for the last time: WILL BILL CLINTON PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP

Can he go 5 fucking minutes without helping the opposition? Obama needs to leash him right fucking now.

Jesus CHRIST
    Actually, Bill is being very smart and helpful to Obama. Bill won 2 elections because he played it smart. He knew that the Dem base would never vote for GHWB, the key to winning over the liberal leaning Repubs, Independents and other undecideds is to appeal to their centrist nature. If you ALWAYS hammer the other side those voters up for grabs will view you as uncompromising and too far to the left. McCain is known for working with both sides (although there is a very legit, but silent, basis for saying he hasn't done so under GWB - Lieberman love does not count). I think Clinton is helping Obama counter that perceived bipartisan reputation that McCain has. McCain has been stupid and squandered his bipartisan reputation by picking Palin as his veep - who only appeals to those voters who would never have considered voting for Obama in the first place - he's alienating the folks in the middle and losing A LOT of support.

Although, I do agree that my first inclination is to yell at Bill to shut it, until I let my brain over rule my emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Am beginning to think that Bill just loves the attention and that everyone is asking him what he thinks. Megalomaniac.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Bill won 2 elections because he played it smart.
    He did not. Ross Perot re-entered the race. Bush took a big hit and Clinton took a smaller one. If Perot had stayed out of the race, Bush very well could have won that election. I admire Clinton a great deal, but his '92 did not happen the way he tells it. The entire race was much more complicated than some realize.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
    He did not. Ross Perot re-entered the race. Bush took a big hit and Clinton took a smaller one. If Perot had stayed out of the race, Bush very well could have won that election. I admire Clinton a great deal, but his '92 did not happen the way he tells it. The entire race was much more complicated than some realize.
    That is true. To an extent, Perot had an effect on GHW Bush in the '92 election similar to that of Ralph Nader on Gore in the 2000 election.

Thread Information