Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joe Biden's senior moment

Default Joe Biden's senior moment

Biden garbles Depression history

Joe Biden's denunciation of his own campaign's ad to Katie Couric got so much attention last night that another odd note in the interview slipped by.

He was speaking about the role of the White House in a financial crisis.

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed," Biden told Couric. "He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

As Reason's Jesse Walker footnotes it: "And if you owned an experimental TV set in 1929, you would have seen him. And you would have said to yourself, 'Who is that guy? What happened to President Hoover?'"

Ben Smith's Blog: Biden garbles Depression history - Politico.com

Poor Joe's actually been in a bit of trouble all week......not even including the ad condemnation
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Biden: 'No coal plants here in America'

Some great rope line video from Joe Biden's recent Ohio swing, where he was asked by an anti-pollution campaigner about clean coal -- a controversial approach in Democratic circles for which Obama has voiced support, particularly during the Kentucky primary.

Biden's apparent answer: He supports clean coal for China, but not for the United States.

"No coal plants here in America," he said. "Build them, if they're going to build them, over there. Make them clean."

"We’re not supporting clean coal," he said of himself and Obama. They do, on paper, support clean coal.

The answer seems to play into John McCain's case that Obama has been saying "no" to new sources of energy.

In the primary, Biden opposed Obama's push for clean coal, which is seen as a way of maintaining or expanding America's coal-burning power plants -- many of which are in rust belt swing states.

"I don't think there's much of a role for clean coal in energy independence, but I do think there's a significant role for clean coal in the bigger picture of climate change," he told Grist last year. "Clean-coal technology is not the route to go in the United States, because we have other, cleaner alternatives," he said, but added that America should push for a "fundamental change in technology" to clean up China's plants.

Biden also was not shy on his own clean energy credentials.

"The first guy to introduce a global warming bill was me 22 years ago. The first guy to support solar energy was me 20 years ago," he said, apparently referring to the 1986 Global Climate Protection.

Think Progress has some more context, and Jake Tapper reports that Obama this morning rebuked Biden on a separate issue, his quick opposition to a federal bailout.

Today, Senator John McCain pounced on Biden's remarks.

"I am going to put in place the priorities and policies that will create jobs in Ohio. One important way that we are going to create jobs here is with the development of additional nuclear plants and through investments in clean coal technology," he said. "[Obama's] running mate here in Ohio recently said that they weren’t supporting clean coal."

Biden spokesman David Wade responded by calling McCain's statement "yet another false attack from a dishonorable campaign."

He continued: "Senator McCain knows that Senator Obama and Senator Biden support clean coal technology. Senator Biden’s point is that China is building coal plants with outdated technology every day, and the United States needs to lead by developing clean coal technologies."

But the error here does seem to be Biden's, and his remarks, and his apparent return to his primary position Tuesday, were striking because just three days ago, he praised the possibilities of coal to a crowd at the United Mine Workers of America annual fish fry in Castlewood, Va.

“You know we have enough coal in the United States of America to meet out needs domestically for the better part of the next hundred to 200 years,” Biden said before launching into a critique of McCain’s energy priorities, slamming his support for billions in tax breaks for oil companies as the industry rakes in record profits.

“Imagine ... what Barack and I can do taking that $4 billion … and investing it in coal gasification, finding out what we can do with carbon sequestration, finding out how we can burn the coal that you dig that can free us from being dependent on foreign oil countries and at the same time not ruin the environment. That’s within our capacity to do it, if you give me $4 billion I promise you, I promise you we will find the answer,” Biden said.

He linked the ticket’s support for coal with their call to have U.S. automakers produce plug-in electric cars. “Where’s that [electricity] come from? That comes from a utility. What do utilities burn? They burn coal mostly.”

Ben Smith's Blog: Biden: 'No coal plants here in America' - Politico.com

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Obama on Biden's Initial Opposition to AIG Bailout: "Joe Should Have Waited"

September 23, 2008 9:41 AM
    "What has been clear during this entire past ten days is John McCain has not had clarity and a grasp on the situation," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., told NBC's Matt Lauer in an interview that ran this morning.

Lauer was talking about how Obama hit Sen. McCain for flip-flopping on the AIG bailout -- saying he opposed it one day then announce he supported it the next day.

But, as Lauer pointed out, scarcely three minutes after McCain said he opposed the AIG bailout last week, "in an interview with Meredith Vieira, Joe Biden, your running mate was asked the exact same question, 'should the federal government bailout AIG?' And he said, 'No, the federal government should not bailout AIG.'" (As we noted at the time.) "And I think that in that situation," Obama said, "I think Joe should have waited as well."

"But it's the kind of thing that drives people crazy about politics," Lauer said. "It sounds like you were trying to score some political points against John McCain using his words, when your own running mate had used very similar words."

"No, hold on a second Matt," Obama said. "I think what drives people crazy about politics is the fact that somebody like John McCain who for 26 years has been an advocate for deregulation, for 26 years has said the market is king and then starts going out there suggesting somehow that he's a populist who's been railing against Wall Street and regulation -- that's what drives people crazy about politics."

Political Punch

Let's weigh Biden's senior moment against McCain's continual senior moments.

Methinks Biden needs to have a phonecall with Obama to figure out which argument they're going with LOL

However, did anybody notice that Obama owned up to it? Amazing! A politician owning up to something!

Anyhoo..

Either or, clean coal is nothing of the sort. It's just sequestering the Co2 and other gaseous uglies underground or, god forbid, in the ocean
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I don't agree with everyone coming down on Joe for what he said. This is what I like about him personally and him being on the ticket. Joe wil say what he feels, period. He's not going to be a freakin' toady for anyone. He's going to disagree with Barack and promote healthy discussion re issues. isn't that his job?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I think Biden needs to have a talk with Obama about their campaign ads.

(CNN) – Joe Biden said in an interview Monday that an ad put out by his campaign making fun of John McCain’s computer illiteracy was “terrible.”
    In light of several negative ads put out by both campaigns, CBS’s Katie Couric asked Biden if he is disappointed with the tone of campaign, noting the Obama ad that derides McCain for admitting he doesn’t know how to use a computer.
    "I thought that was terrible, by the way," Biden replied.
    "Why'd you do it then?” responded Couric.
    "I didn't know we did it,” Biden answered, “and if I'd had anything to do with it, we would have never done it.”
    At the end of the ad a picture of Biden with Obama is displayed as Obama says “…and I approve this message.” Couric pointed out that – as with every campaign ad – Obama did approve it.
    “I don't think anything was intentional about that,” said Biden. “They were trying to make another point.”
    The McCain camp pounced on the remark, saying, “Barack Obama has brought the sleazy gutter politics of Chicago to our national stage, exposing his call for a ‘new politics’ as a lie and embarrassing even his own running mate with the low road campaign he's running.”
    Biden dials back 'terrible' comment
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I don't agree with everyone coming down on Joe for what he said. This is what I like about him personally and him being on the ticket. Joe wil say what he feels, period. He's not going to be a freakin' toady for anyone. He's going to disagree with Barack and promote healthy discussion re issues. isn't that his job?
    I don't have a problem with him disagreeing with Obama on certain points. But he needs to make sure that he doesn't criticize his own campaign and give the Republicans ammunition against Obama. But he's not an idiot like Palin, so I cut him some slack.

Oh Like McTard has any, ANY wiggle room concerning "gutter politics"..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I heard a rumor the other day.

Notice how there are very few items that say Obama/Biden? A few shirts, mainly pins, bumper stickers, banners. Appearantly, someone from a local radio station called Obama's camp and asked when there were going to be more materials with Biden's name on it. The response is that they are being produced and will be ready in 2-3 weeks.

Now, does anyone REALLY think that it takes that long for the items to be produced? Not when they have all the money in the world that they could pay out to get a rush job.

Rumor is, the reason why there aren't many items available is because after the VP debate, Joe Biden is going to have a medical or family issue that is going to cause him to drop out as running mate.

Thus, Obama can bring in Hillary as VP, and the Palin upswing will be diminished.

I have no idea if there's any validity to this theory, but I thought it was interesting. I really don't care if VP is Biden or Hillary, just as long as McCain doesn't make it in the White House, I would vote for a monkey at this point.

I heard that rumor too but based on what I know locally I will say it is just a rumor. Joe and Barack need to talk more often for sure.

I think he's trying to get kicked off the ticket. For realz!

His rant on 'not taking my guns' last week was hilarious.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post

Notice how there are very few items that say Obama/Biden? A few shirts, mainly pins, bumper stickers, banners. Appearantly, someone from a local radio station called Obama's camp and asked when there were going to be more materials with Biden's name on it. The response is that they are being produced and will be ready in 2-3 weeks.

Now, does anyone REALLY think that it takes that long for the items to be produced? Not when they have all the money in the world that they could pay out to get a rush job.

Rumor is, the reason why there aren't many items available is because after the VP debate, Joe Biden is going to have a medical or family issue that is going to cause him to drop out as running mate.

Thus, Obama can bring in Hillary as VP, and the Palin upswing will be diminished.

I have no idea if there's any validity to this theory, but I thought it was interesting. I really don't care if VP is Biden or Hillary, just as long as McCain doesn't make it in the White House, I would vote for a monkey at this point.

Hmmm.... and if Obama put Hillary on his ticket, you think that'd really help him win? Or miserably lose?

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Obama on Biden's Initial Opposition to AIG Bailout: "Joe Should Have Waited"

September 23, 2008 9:41 AM
    "What has been clear during this entire past ten days is John McCain has not had clarity and a grasp on the situation," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., told NBC's Matt Lauer in an interview that ran this morning.

Lauer was talking about how Obama hit Sen. McCain for flip-flopping on the AIG bailout -- saying he opposed it one day then announce he supported it the next day.

But, as Lauer pointed out, scarcely three minutes after McCain said he opposed the AIG bailout last week, "in an interview with Meredith Vieira, Joe Biden, your running mate was asked the exact same question, 'should the federal government bailout AIG?' And he said, 'No, the federal government should not bailout AIG.'" (As we noted at the time.) "And I think that in that situation," Obama said, "I think Joe should have waited as well."

"But it's the kind of thing that drives people crazy about politics," Lauer said. "It sounds like you were trying to score some political points against John McCain using his words, when your own running mate had used very similar words."

"No, hold on a second Matt," Obama said. "I think what drives people crazy about politics is the fact that somebody like John McCain who for 26 years has been an advocate for deregulation, for 26 years has said the market is king and then starts going out there suggesting somehow that he's a populist who's been railing against Wall Street and regulation -- that's what drives people crazy about politics."

Political Punch
    Ha! I watched that this morning..too funny!!!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    Hmmm.... and if Obama put Hillary on his ticket, you think that'd really help him win? Or miserably lose?
    win
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post

I don't think that rumor has any credibility. I think the Republicans started that rumor. The focus of the Obama campaign has been registering voters, not printed materials like yard signs, which have been in short supply for Obama/Biden. Yard signs don't vote. And the registration deadline for most states is early October, when the VP debate is scheduled.
    FiveThirtyEight.com: Electoral Projections Done Right: BREAKING: Obama Campaign Organizers Trying To Win Election Instead of Get You Yard Signs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information