Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Democrats adding 500 Billion in pork to bailout bill

Angry Democrats adding 500 Billion in pork to bailout bill

(09-22) 13:19 PDT WASHINGTON, (AP) --
    Congress is scrambling to pass the Pentagon budget, aid for flood and hurricane victims and $25 billion in loans for Detroit automakers in a late-session burst of activity that's flying under the radar compared with efforts to bail out Wall Street.

Funding for veterans health care and homeland security programs is also in the mix as Democratic leaders ponder what other items should catch a ride on must-do legislation to keep the government running beyond the Oct. 1 start of the 2009 budget year.

A stopgap bill must pass to avoid a government shutdown, so Democrats are viewing it as a locomotive to pull past a skeptical White House measures such as the automaker loan and a doubling of home heating subsidies for the poor.

Passage of the bill is complicated by the question of how much further oil exploration to permit off the U.S. coast. Democrats are seeking to attach a plan to open waters 50 miles off the Pacific and Atlantic coasts to oil and natural gas development, though only if the adjacent states agree to it.
    Republicans and the White House want to completely lift current restrictions on coastal drilling, and President Bush' veto pen gives them the edge.

Discussions on the budget are far overshadowed by the ongoing debate over a $700 billion bailout plan for Wall Street. But the amount of money at stake including a $488 billion Pentagon funding bill that hasn't seen a second's worth of public debate or review is almost as great.

Details of the emerging legislation remain secret, but its outlines have come out in interviews with aides to both the House and Senate Appropriations committees, as well as aides to top House and Senate leaders.

The legislation is coming together in a remarkably secretive process in which decisions are concentrated in the hands of just a few lawmakers such as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey, D-Wis.

The unusual process means thousands of lawmakers' pet projects of the very sort blasted by GOP presidential nominee John McCain on the campaign trail would escape scrutiny, including up to $5 billion worth of such "earmarks" in the defense budget alone.

Congressional leaders hope to pass the budget legislation this week, but several issues remained undecided Monday. For starters, it wasn't clear how much the White House would be willing to accept.

Bush has threatened to veto bills that don't cut the number and cost of earmarks in half or cause agency operating budgets, taken together, to exceed his request.

While top-level congressional leaders haven't made final decisions, elements of the year-end budget package are likely to include:
    _Stopgap government funding. Most federal agencies would see their budgets frozen at current levels for several weeks or even into March. Lawmakers want to avoid a postelection "lame duck" session, but fear the White House will force them to return to session in November in hopes Congress would approve a free trade pact with Colombia.
    _Security-related budgets. More than $600 billion to fund the 2009 budgets for the Pentagon, Homeland Security Department and the Department of Veterans Affairs.
    _Disaster aid. Up to $25 billion in emergency funding for victims of Gulf Coast hurricanes, midwestern floods and other natural disasters.
    _Automaker loans. More than $7 billion is provided to subsidize $25 billion in loans to help the "Big Three" U.S. automakers retool their plants to build cleaner, more energy efficient cars.
    _Heating subsidies. Democrats want to double the budget to $5.1 billion for a popular program providing heating subsidies for the poor.

Democrats were also weighing whether to try to add another extension of unemployment benefits to the year-end budget package. Another option would be to add the unemployment insurance coverage to a subsequent $50 billion-plus measure to stimulate the economy with infrastructure spending, aid to states and additional food stamp benefits.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

And Bush will be dumb enough to sign it.

Pentagon budget, disaster aid set to advance

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

The article didn't even say wtf the pork was. I love that.

"ZOMG TEH DEMOCRATS ARE TRYING TO SPEND TEH MONIES!!!! but we wont tell you on what and then we'll blame it on suepr secrecy!!!11"

wtf ever. Come back when you have something to report, not just baseless hysteria.

And frankly, anybody upset that Dems are trying to spend a trifling amount on USEFUL stuff (like helping poor people not freeze to death in winter) needs to take a look at the last 8 years, the massive debts and deficits and the current stupidity and wonder "gee, who's been spending all that money?"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ No, no, Grimm. The last 8 years never happened. The Bush administration did wonders for the U.S., haven't you heard?

I heard it was all Clinton's fault.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ It was! Clinton is evil and invaded countries that did nothing to us and had the lowest approval ratings of any president EVER! Dontcha know?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    The article didn't even say wtf the pork was. I love that.

"ZOMG TEH DEMOCRATS ARE TRYING TO SPEND TEH MONIES!!!! but we wont tell you on what and then we'll blame it on suepr secrecy!!!11"

wtf ever. Come back when you have something to report, not just baseless hysteria.

And frankly, anybody upset that Dems are trying to spend a trifling amount on USEFUL stuff (like helping poor people not freeze to death in winter) needs to take a look at the last 8 years, the massive debts and deficits and the current stupidity and wonder "gee, who's been spending all that money?"
    Yes it did. Go read it again. Its at the very end.

And darlin, before you start slamming me or anyone else who posts articles contrary to your views, realize that they are written by someone else. If everyone posted articles based on your feeble line, nothing would be in the politics section, let alone your posting anything from your oh so reliable and accurate sources as well.

But keep up your deflection of FACTS, Grimm.

As for blaming Bush, I have been one of the most vocal critics of his spending.

Uh, the stuff at the end is what the budget would likely entail originally. The article is suggesting that OTHER things will be added, in super secret by the Dems to it.

they decline to say what tho.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Yes it did. Go read it again. Its at the very end.

And darlin, before you start slamming me or anyone else who posts articles contrary to your views, realize that they are written by someone else. If everyone posted articles based on your feeble line, nothing would be in the politics section, let alone your posting anything from your oh so reliable and accurate sources as well.

But keep up your deflection of FACTS, Grimm.

As for blaming Bush, I have been one of the most vocal critics of his spending.
    I'll slam people for posting articles that have no content or follow a typical pattern of saying hysterical things while failing to provide the evidence to back it up.

this is a pattern. Ive noted it. These articles obviously appeal to you in some way, thus you bear the brunt for posting it. You're not responsible for the content itself, but it's like posting an opinion.. ultimately you put it out on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Uh, the stuff at the end is what the budget would likely entail originally. The article is suggesting that OTHER things will be added, in super secret by the Dems to it.

they decline to say what tho.
    This bail out bill isn't about including things that were proposals for another budget. See, you complain the loudest about spending yet you can't even muster the balls to criticize those who are adding addition crap to a proposed bill that is already suspect.

this is a pattern. Ive noted it. These articles obviously appeal to you in some way, thus you bear the brunt for posting it. You're not responsible for the content itself, but it's like posting an opinion.. ultimately you put it out on here.
    If this isn't the biggest case of pot kettle black I've ever seen! Man, thanks for the laugh today. Cheers!

You're not even making any sense. Spending on responsible things is fine. The article STILL HAS NOT OUTLINED WHAT THE PORK IS. There's a tiny paragraph right at the end about Dems trying to spend money to help less fortunate people with unemployement. That's it?

I'm sorry, maybe cutting back the ridiculous defense budget the Rethugs love to line their own pockets with would help offset that SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE tiny bit of spending? Whynot take it away from the detroit retards who refuse to adapt with the times? Nahhhh can't do that...

_Disaster aid. Up to $25 billion in emergency funding for victims of Gulf Coast hurricanes, midwestern floods and other natural disasters.

Why would this be considered pork? This is something that's desperately needed.

^^Because it dares to help the people of this country,and does not line the pockets of the already filthy rich. How dare those evil dems try to do some good for anyone.

Democrats were also weighing whether to try to add another extension of unemployment benefits to the year-end budget package. Another option would be to add the unemployment insurance coverage to a subsequent $50 billion-plus measure to stimulate the economy with infrastructure spending, aid to states and additional food stamp benefits.
    I didn't know adding things to help out the American people was considered 'pork.' God forbid, the Congress actually help out the taxpayers, and not just the wealthy, in this $700 million bailout. Those damn Democrats. And, somehow, this will wind up being Obama's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post

Why would this be considered pork? This is something that's desperately needed.
    Nah, it's the heating one since it's last.
    _Heating subsidies. Democrats want to double the budget to $5.1 billion for a popular program providing heating subsidies for the poor.
    Some people don't care if the poor in Michigan or in other parts freeze to death.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    This bail out bill isn't about including things that were proposals for another budget. See, you complain the loudest about spending yet you can't even muster the balls to criticize those who are adding addition crap to a proposed bill that is already suspect.
    Since when is "disaster aid" to those in the USA "crap?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information