Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering, facing the ugly in people..

Default Volunteering, facing the ugly in people..

I signed up to call people in a neighboring state for Obama. They give you a script to follow, along with the numbers to call. I was 5 phone calls in when the ugliness started. I didn't get Barack's first name out before the cursing and racial slurs started flying, I said thank you and have a great day, and hung up..went on to the next call. Next caller, listed as an elderly lady(should be easy, HA!), she let me finish the whole calling on behalf of Obama, and Warner before she told me "I spoke well, but I ain't voting for no nigger." This went on for 3 more phone calls and as I was dialing the fourth number I decided to give it a rest for a while. The fourth phone call was another elderly lady who answered all of my questions, told me she appreciated my call, and that she prays that Obama wins.
    I know that there are people out there who will not vote for Obama, fine. However, the blatant racism and rudeness is uncalled for. I knew that calling this state wouldn't be easy, but I didn't think they would pull out all their 'southern charm' out on me. I am a very pleasant person, I do speak well, and would never be anything less than respectful while making these phone calls, however my faith in humanity is quickly dwindling!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

where the hell do you live, bumfuck retardville?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^LOL@Grim.

I'm not shocked. But it's not just about race. Anytime you call people out of the blue, for whatever reason, you're going to run into a lot of anger and attitude. Hell, a few years ago I used to have a part-time telemarketing job and I got cursed out so much it wasn't funny. It's part of the terrority.

^^You're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    where the hell do you live, bumfuck retardville?
    No, I live in Maryland, and I was calling Virginia!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Virgina should probably be napalmed.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Wouldn't waste any time worrying about such idiots.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Pffftt Virginia is a lovely place.

As for the elderly & racism, the way that woman said that reminds me of my grandparents. They were so sincere & matter-of-fact in their racism. They didn't express any hate really, but they would drop the N-bomb here & there & stereotype like crazy, and just seemed to think that sorry, those are the facts (as opposed to their thinking.) It was useless to argue with them about it. They didnt' seem to mean any harm, but they were racists nonetheless. Seems like this is not uncommon in the elderly.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Very sad and much more common than we'd probably think.

SSDiva,sorry about that stuff,but good for you for volunteering.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

That is a shame. Be proud that you kept dignity and respect and not fight on the phone. I'd be speechless.

^^ I dont think I could handle it either but your doing a wonderful thing especially dealing racists morons

Sadly I'm not shocked by this. I knew someone who made calls for Hillary Clinton during the primaries and she told me that a number of people she called referred to her as a "dyke" and various other rude names.... people can be awful sometimes. On the bright side, there are tons of open minded, smart and nice people out there also. SSDiva keep on doing what you're doing, try not to let the idiots get to you. And you should be proud of yourself for keeping your composure, a lot of people wouldn't be able to do that.

I think there is some mentality with some elderly folks of a certain age. I know a lady in my parents' church who privately says, "I just can't vote for a black." Doesn't say it publicly though.

SS-just focus on the good people. If they go into a racist rant,quietly push the off button!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^McJag, I can't hang up on them. I don't want to make his campaign look bad in anyway. The last thing we need is someone on tv saying an Obama volunteer hung-up on them, or worse. But, I'd like to introduce that one guy to some Bmore locals!!

Thanks for the encouragement. After taking time out to cook dinner, I made more calls. I actually talked to a few republicans who weren't disrespectful, and actually asked about info on Obama. I have a few more people to go before I am through my 25, and I just signed up for 50 in Maryland. However, I don't think I am going to go door to door in VA..I am a little chicken now, it's not like they will actually send me to Richmond, or Tysons Corner..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I think some thoughtful Repulicans are having private second thoughts. You could be making a huge difference just my answering questions they have no one else to answer. I admire your courage . I guess I can see your point about not hanging up on the ranters,but I think I would-with glee. Now we know why I would not make a good volunteer!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information