Thread: Todd Palin: 'first dude' or 'shadow governor?'

Default Todd Palin: 'first dude' or 'shadow governor?'

Todd Palin: 'first dude' or 'shadow governor?'

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- He's the man Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin affectionately calls her "first dude."
    Todd Palin was introduced to the nation at the Republican National Convention as a blue-collar oil worker, a laid-back father of five and a world-record-holding snowmobile racer.
    Todd and Sarah met in high school at a basketball game and eloped in 1988, six years after graduation. Todd grew up in Alaska and is part Eskimo. He's an avid outdoorsman and champion of the Iron Dog snowmobile race.
    He's worked in Alaska's oil industry and as a fisherman. But in recent times, he's had another role. Some call him the "Shadow Governor."
    In government circles and among the family's acquaintances, Todd Palin is known as his wife's greatest adviser and most loyal protector. One family friend said, "Todd is incredibly supportive and is willing to do whatever it takes to help Sarah."
    Todd may appear quiet, almost shy, but he's made quite an impression on his wife's running mate, Sen. John McCain. On the campaign trail this month in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, McCain said, "He's not afraid of Washington, D.C.! He can take them on!"
    Alaskans interviewed by CNN say Todd Palin has plenty of influence.
    He's not on the state payroll, but lawmakers say he is a central figure in his wife's policy agenda.
    Stephen Branchflower is one man who certainly thinks so. Branchflower was hired by the Alaska Legislature to investigate Governor Palin's firing of the state's top cop - Walt Monegan - and whether the Palins pressured him to fire the governor's former brother-in-law, trooper Mike Wooten.
    Sarah Palin has said Wooten repeatedly threatened her family amid a bitter divorce from her sister. She claims that he even threatened to kill her father, an accusation that Wooten denies.
    Branchflower wants to subpoena Todd Palin because the governor's husband "has spoken to numerous government employees. ... He's such a central figure to the events."
    Sarah Palin has denied exerting any pressure to have anyone fired. Todd Palin hasn't spoken publicly about the case, but his wife's attorney said Thursday Mr Palin would not comply with the subpoena request. The McCain campaign said the Legislative Council was no longer carrying out "a legitimate investigation because it has been subjected to complete partisanship and does not operate with the authority that it had at the time of its initial authorization." How much power does Todd Palin have in Alaska politics? »
    CNN has seen thousands of e-mails released this year from the governor's office that show that Todd Palin was copied on hundreds of them. The topics of the e-mails ranged from public criticism of Sarah Palin to her meetings with corporate leaders.
    Andrew Halcro, who ran as an independent against Sarah Palin for governor in 2006 and is a critic of the Palins, wants to know why Todd Palin was being copied on state correspondence.
    Halcro wrote a blog post about Todd Palin called "Shadow Governor" and says, "Todd plays the role as kind of the fixer."
    Even Halcro found himself the subject of e-mails that Todd Palin was copied on. He wants to know why.
    "This whole process, and the whole string of e-mails, to me really raise some red flags," Halcro said.
    But campaign spokeswoman Meg Stapleton explained, "There is spousal privilege in that the governor is asking him to print them off or take care of business."
    Alaska lawmakers say Todd Palin is a fixture at the state Legislature. So much so, some say they've joked about getting buttons that read, "What would Todd do?"
    One of those lawmakers is Lyda Green, a Republican and state Senate president who is not friends with the Palins.
    "I had a meeting I requested with the governor. ... I was particularly surprised that Todd was there. I had never seen a spouse stay in the room through the meeting."
    The campaign said, "Todd's role has not been inappropriate."
    The campaign also confirms that Todd Palin has taken two trips with state commissioners to survey Alaskan mines and one to survey part of the proposed route for a natural gas pipeline, his wife's top goal. The state paid for those trips, according to the campaign, because they were considered "state business" since Todd Palin is trying to expand Alaska's work force.
    Now he's spending plenty of time out of state -- at his wife's side -- as she criss-crosses the country. A far cry from juggling the cooking and carpooling for their five children.
    Todd Palin: 'first dude' or 'shadow governor?'

I'm curious as to why someone who claims to be such a 'maverick' has to have her husband so closely involved in her policy-making decisions when he's 1) not a politician and 2) not on the state payroll?

Doesn't her church preach that women listen and obey their husbands who are the real heads of the households. I think this is what they are really hiding about Troopergate, its the fact that her husband who isn't the elected official yet has an obvious influence. This will also raise questions about her role of nom VP

they said the same about Bill and Hillary Clinton...except the genders were reversed

I know I often discuss business with my SO, and he does the same with me.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    they said the same about Bill and Hillary Clinton...except the genders were reversed

Discussing business with your SO is one thing, having them dictate your decision-making in business is another.

And people did say the same thing about Hillary, and she got crucified for it.

And if she got the presidential nom - Hillary being married to a previous president would definitely raise alot of flack.

And it does goes both ways.

I don't recall Hillary being cc'd on Bill's emails, which is a violation of government confidentiality in the federal government and in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I don't recall Hillary being cc'd on Bill's emails, which is a violation of government confidentiality in the federal government and in Alaska.
    Perhaps not emails, but she certainly sat in on cabinet meetings and advised on policy and was soundly critcized for it. As was Roslyn Carter.

A cabinet meeting and policy advisement would be way more in the center of power than just an email.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Perhaps not emails, but she certainly sat in on cabinet meetings and advised on policy and was soundly critcized for it. As was Roslyn Carter.

A cabinet meeting and policy advisement would be way more in the center of power than just an email.
    But Palin's husband didn't just get CC'd emails. He was constantly at the state house sticking his two cents into policy, and he's also a big part of that pipeline that they're building in Alaska. Not to mention, when Palin had to sit down and go over the state's budget, she didn't do it with the legislatures. She sat down with her budget director and her husband.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    But Palin's husband didn't just get CC'd emails. He was constantly at the state house sticking his two cents into policy, and he's also a big part of that pipeline that they're building in Alaska. Not to mention, when Palin had to sit down and go over the state's budget, she didn't do it with the legislatures. She sat down with her budget director and her husband.
    and exactly as I explained, so did Hillary Clinton and Roslyn Carter and Eleanor Roosevelt- who was our greatest first lady...they all sat in on cabinet meetings and were directly involved in policy making.

I don't condemn any of those first ladies for being involved in policy, so I cannot condemn this man for the exact same thing.

and exactly as I explained, so did Hillary Clinton and Roslyn Carter and Eleanor Roosevelt- who was our greatest first lady...they all sat in on cabinet meetings and were directly involved in policy making.

I don't condemn any of those first ladies for being involved in policy, so I cannot condemn this man for the exact same thing.
    They should ALL be condemned for being involved in policy-making decisions, since none of them were politicians. Their spouses were elected to make policy decisions, not them. I had an issue with Hillary doing it back then, and I have an issue with Todd Palin doing it now. And I'd have an issue with it if Michelle Obama were to do it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    They should ALL be condemned for being involved in policy-making decisions, since none of them were politicians. Their spouses were elected to make policy decisions, not them. I had an issue with Hillary doing it back then, and I have an issue with Todd Palin doing it now. And I'd have an issue with it if Michelle Obama were to do it, too.

It's always happened though...so then almost all presidents would be guilty of it....

There's Nancy Reagan. She wielded more influence and power over all aspects of the presidency than any other First Lady in recent memory. From helping to get Don Regan, Al Haig, Lyn Nofziger, and James Watt (and others) fired, to setting the president's schedule and shaping his media image, Nancy Reagan was, as one news commentator put it, "a respected and feared political operative." The president even conceded that it was Nancy who got him to soften his "Evil Empire" rhetoric about Communism and to become "the peace president." At one point, this wife of one our most conservative presidents appeared on the cover of Ms. magazine and was defended by the former president of NOW for her political activism.

Go back even further and find Edith Wilson, who single-handedly ran the executive branch while her husband, Woodrow, recovered from a stroke. During that period, Mrs. Wilson interviewed and recommended candidates for Cabinet positions, negotiated with Congressional leaders on the president's behalf concerning the controversial League of Nations treaty, and ultimately was praised in the media as "a capable 'President'." It should have fallen to the VP, but Edith Wilson did it.

This is the way many long term couples behave, there's an old expression- pillow talk- and women close to power have long influenced politics

It's always happened though...so then almost all presidents would be guilty of it....

There's Nancy Reagan. She wielded more influence and power over all aspects of the presidency than any other First Lady in recent memory. From helping to get Don Regan, Al Haig, Lyn Nofziger, and James Watt (and others) fired, to setting the president's schedule and shaping his media image, Nancy Reagan was, as one news commentator put it, "a respected and feared political operative." The president even conceded that it was Nancy who got him to soften his "Evil Empire" rhetoric about Communism and to become "the peace president." At one point, this wife of one our most conservative presidents appeared on the cover of Ms. magazine and was defended by the former president of NOW for her political activism.

Go back even further and find Edith Wilson, who single-handedly ran the executive branch while her husband, Woodrow, recovered from a stroke. During that period, Mrs. Wilson interviewed and recommended candidates for Cabinet positions, negotiated with Congressional leaders on the president's behalf concerning the controversial League of Nations treaty, and ultimately was praised in the media as "a capable 'President'." It should have fallen to the VP, but Edith Wilson did it.

This is the way many long term couples behave, there's an old expression- pillow talk- and women close to power have long influenced politics
    I don't have a problem with politicians discussing issues with their spouses. That's a given. But when the spouse becomes a key part of the policy-making process, that's where I have the problem. The spouse wasn't elected by the voters to do anything, so they shouldn't be helping to shape policy.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    Doesn't her church preach that women listen and obey their husbands who are the real heads of the households. I think this is what they are really hiding about Troopergate, its the fact that her husband who isn't the elected official yet has an obvious influence. This will also raise questions about her role of nom VP
    You know I always wondered how this would work if Sarah Palin became President. Fundies believe that women are supposed to obey their husbands and be second in command in the household. How would the fundamentalists react to her being the head of the entire US including the military? How does Todd Palin deal with this his wife being such a dominant force? It goes against what they believe.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    You know I always wondered how this would work if Sarah Palin became President. Fundies believe that women are supposed to obey their husbands and be second in command in the household. How would the fundamentalists react to her being the head of the entire US including the military? How does Todd Palin deal with this his wife being such a dominant force? It goes against what they believe.
    That's what I've been wondering now since Palin was announced. Most of the fundies I've known (and I used to attend a fundie church) used to murmur, clack and complain about Hillary Clinton having any role at the WH beyond picking out new china based on that wives be subservient to your husbands rule. They even complained about her running for Congress in another state for the same stupid reason.

So, now, just because Hitler Barbie is mouthing the same platitudes they worship and carries the AoG seal of approval while doing things totally contrary to what she supposedly believes they are willing to overlook the hypocrisies to vote her in? Did someone hand out crazy pills to the evangelical voters or just lobotomize all of them while the rest of us had our heads turned?

I was surprised to see her even looking so stylin' considering most AoG and fundie Church of the Holy Basement types frown on makeup and clothing that doesn't come almost to your ankles and fit like a long abandoned potato sack.

What gives?

Thread Information