Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin can dress a moose but she can't hide her true self

Default Sarah Palin can dress a moose but she can't hide her true self

Palin can dress a moose but she can't hide her true self

STANLEY CROUCH
    SYNDICATED COLUMNIST
    Ours is a country capable of almost constant surprise, especially when the chips are down. That is why the appearance of Sarah Palin is the most startling thing to happen in American politics since Barack Obama took Iowa back in January.

Give them a reason, and they will gather behind you. John McCain gave them Sarah Palin, and they gathered.

Whether through a combination of desperation, condescension and sheer lucky nerve, or something else altogether that no one can explain, McCain and the Republicans have taken charge for the moment. They finally have succeeded in completely appropriating and redefining all of Obama's campaign themes of change while pretending 24 years after Geraldine Ferraro that the elephants are far more willing to shake things up than the donkeys have ever been.

Palin even lifted Obama's unprecedented theme of embracing miscegenation, perhaps to fight liberal stereotypes of conservatives as white racists. Plucky to nearly the bursting point, Palin observed her husband was proud of his Alaskan Indian blood, which was another way of saying: "Hey, guys and gals, our kids are all American and they aren't pure white, either! Barack Obama, you can sit down and stop bragging."

Yes, Sarah Palin comes from the kind of women who helped win the West, no doubt about it. They walked next to wagon trains across the country, had children under the most hazardous circumstances imaginable and lived through weather as bad as the country could be beautiful. They fought, killed or were captured and enslaved by the Indian tribes who resisted the expansion of the United States. If her membership in the National Rifle Association did not imply all of that, Fred Thompson did when he asserted that she would be the first VP candidate capable of correctly dressing -- meaning butchering -- a downed moose.

These are the kinds of things that make Palin more one of the boys than even most of the boys are. So while remaining the loving mother of five, Palin also has the credentials to be a proxy male who can go in the door of the men's club and not be sneered at unless one is willing to take her on in a target-shooting contest.
    Like it or not, that is a big step.

But hunting moose, owning a firearm and being opposed to abortion are not the things that bother me most about Palin.

Here's a short list: It easily can be proven that she did not lead the fight against "the bridge to nowhere"; that she is not opposed to pork-barrel earmarks and has actually fought for them; that she seems to believe as much or more in a Christian theocracy than in American democracy. And in one of the most well-received moments in her Republican National Convention speech, Palin made it quite clear: Terrorism is a good-enough reason to destroy or ignore the Constitution.

"Al-Qaida terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America ... he's worried that someone won't read them their rights," she said in ripping her Democratic rival.

She might be pretty enough for Rush Limbaugh to call "a babe"; she might shoot well enough to be nicknamed "Annie Oakley" and she may even have squeaky-clean but gritty charm. But, when the sun goes down and nobody else is around, Sarah Palin kneels to and bows low before the language that can prepare the way to totalitarianism. Always a dangerous thing.

She does not seem to realize -- though all of our friends and every last one of our enemies do -- that the constitutional rights at which she sneers are what separate this nation from the totalitarian regimes in most of the world.

Changing from what we are into one of those kinds of regimes is not what I believe the American people want, and that is what I believe will save us from embracing a self-described pit bull with lipstick.
    For all of the indications to the contrary, I think that Barack Obama is right when he says that the American people are not stupid. They might not be able to dress a moose, but they can usually recognize a pig in a poke. With or without lipstick.

Stanley Crouch is a columnist for the New York Daily News; crouch.stanley@gmail.com.

Palin can dress a moose but she can't hide her true self

And in one of the most well-received moments in her Republican National Convention speech, Palin made it quite clear: Terrorism is a good-enough reason to destroy or ignore the Constitution.

"Al-Qaida terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America ... he's worried that someone won't read them their rights," she said in ripping her Democratic rival.
    I thought that section of her speech was disturbing. The Bill of Rights apparently doesn't mean much to Republicans or Republican speechwriters any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I thought that section of her speech was disturbing. The Bill of Rights apparently doesn't mean much to Republicans or Republican speechwriters any longer.
    "I would rather have a clean government than one where quote First Amendment rights are being respected, that has become corrupt. If I had my choice, I'd rather have the clean government." John McCain

No wonder ole Johnny Boy described her as his soul mate. It looks like they share the same two brain cells.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Hit By Ban Bus!

I totally agree! What kind of people are we if we ignore the most basic thing we believe in just because we are "scared" of something.

It is the most spineless, cowardly argument I have ever heard. The ugliest part of the Bush Admin. has been ignoring the basic human rights our Constitution stands for ...

Repubs like to argue "the Constitution only covers Americans" but thats bull - if we are gonna pretend we are the beacon of freedom, our laws have to apply to everyone - there was a certain document in our history that preceded the Constitution and it said something like, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights"

More fear tactics. That's all that entire administration, who is now running McSame's campaign, knows.

That's the problem: giving US rights to terrorists. They aren't American and are out to destroy America. And we want to treat them like they're one of us.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Fear, baby, fear.

Not fear, reality.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

^^ No. This campaign, just like Bush's was run on fear.
    There is no disputing that.

Yeah, the torture and kangaroo court stuff really gets at the truth, not to mention advances our cause around the world.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Not fear, reality.
    It must be frightening to live your life so filled with fear based on a false reality? Meanwhile the person putting the fear into you is doing all he can to antagonize the terrorists and making them hate us even more. He will make your fear come to fruition.

Doesn't mean much to Democrats either..... who as the majority in Congress just renewed the throwing away our fourth ammendment rights along with those same Republicans.

Two sides, same coin

But to be a devil's advocate:

I wonder if Daniel Pearl and Nick Berg were given their rights...........

The Brits weren't willing to give the IRA their rights.....

but of course it's that old evil US that's everyone assumes was the first to pull this....We weren't and we won't be the last
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I hate politicians who use fear on the public- During the 80 and early 90s we didnt get this shit as much with the IRA. But with the Islamic nuts we have the government trying to instill more draconian measures in the name of security.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Doesn't mean much to Democrats either..... who as the majority in Congress just renewed the throwing away our fourth ammendment rights along with those same Republicans.

Two sides, same coin

But to be a devil's advocate:

I wonder if Daniel Pearl and Nick Berg were given their rights...........

The Brits weren't willing to give the IRA their rights.....

but of course it's that old evil US that's everyone assumes was the first to pull this....We weren't and we won't be the last
    Of course they weren't. They were not killed in America. America is supposed to be the higher standard. What good will it be if we just stoop to their level, and not uphold our constitution?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information