Thread: "The 65 mpg car Ford won't sell in the US"

Default "The 65 mpg car Ford won't sell in the US"

The 65-mpg car Ford won't sell in US

The Fiesta ECOnetic could compete with hybrids and help remake Ford's image. But big obstacles are keeping the vehicle out of the US market.

By BusinessWeek
    If ever there was a car made for the times, this would seem to be it: a sporty subcompact that seats five, offers a navigation system and gets a whopping 65 miles to the gallon. Oh, yes, and the car is made by Ford Motor (F, news, msgs), known widely for lumbering gas hogs.

Ford's 2009 Fiesta ECOnetic goes on sale in November. But here's the catch: Despite the car's potential to transform Ford's image and help it compete with Toyota Motor (TM, news, msgs) and Honda Motor (HMC, news, msgs) in its home market, the company will sell the little fuel sipper only in Europe.

"We know it's an awesome vehicle," says Ford America President Mark Fields. "But there are business reasons why we can't sell it in the U.S." The main one: The Fiesta ECOnetic runs on diesel.

Automakers such as Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz have predicted for years that a technology called "clean diesel" would overcome many Americans' antipathy toward a fuel still often thought of as the smelly stuff that powers tractor-trailers.

Diesel vehicles now hitting the market with pollution-fighting technology are as clean as, or even cleaner than, gasoline-powered cars, and they are at least 30% more fuel-efficient.

Yet while half of all cars sold in Europe last year ran on diesel, the U.S. market remains relatively unfriendly to the fuel.

Taxes aimed at commercial trucks mean diesel costs anywhere from 40 cents to $1 more per gallon than gasoline. Add to this the success of the Toyota Prius, and you can see why only 3% of cars in the U.S. use diesel.

"Americans see hybrids as the darling," says Global Insight auto analyst Philip Gott, "and diesel as old tech." None of this is stopping European and Japanese automakers, which are betting they can jump-start the U.S. market with new diesel models. Mercedes-Benz by next year will have three cars it markets as BlueTec. Even Nissan Motor (NSANY, news, msgs) and Honda, which long opposed building diesel cars in Europe, plan to introduce them in the United States in 2010.

But Ford, whose Fiesta ECOnetic compares favorably with European diesels, can't make a business case for bringing the car to the United States.

First of all, the engines are built in Britain, so labor costs are high. Plus the pound remains stronger than the greenback. At prevailing exchange rates, the Fiesta ECOnetic would sell for about $25,700 in the United States.

By contrast, the Prius typically goes for about $24,000.

A $1,300 tax deduction available to buyers of new diesel cars could bring the price of the Fiesta to around $24,400. But Ford doesn't believe it could charge enough to make money on an imported ECOnetic. Ford plans to make a gas-powered version of the Fiesta in Mexico for the United States. So why not manufacture diesel engines there, too?

Building a plant would cost at least $350 million at a time when Ford has been burning through more than $1 billion a month in cash reserves. Besides, the automaker would have to produce at least 350,000 engines a year to make such a venture profitable.

"We just don't think North and South America would buy that many diesel cars," Fields says.

The question, of course, is whether the U.S. will ever embrace diesel fuel and allow automakers to achieve sufficient scale to make money on such vehicles.

California certified VW and Mercedes diesel cars earlier this year, after a four-year ban. James N. Hall, of auto researcher 293 Analysts, says that bellwether state and the Northeast remain "hostile to diesel."

But the risk to Ford is that the fuel could take off, leaving the carmaker to play catch-up -- despite having a serious diesel contender in its arsenal.

This article was reported and written by David Kiley for BusinessWeek.
    I can't imagine that no one would be interested in buying this car in the US; all gas stations offer diesel, and the price difference between this car and a hybrid is not that significant...!

Stuff like this makes me think narrow-minded Ford deserves to go under.

It "won't sell" so they won't even try? Idiots.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Of course not. Car industry = in bed with oil industry

less gas used = less profits
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ Well it will be their loss when the Asian models come out to play. I heard you couldnt even giveaway an SUV these days.

Anyone that buys an SUV nowadays is a moron.

I know someone with a diesel truck, that has a system that runs on half diesel, half vegetable oil. So he has an agreement with one of the fast food restaurants, he takes their old grease, puts it through a filtering system in his garage which filter out all the leftover nugget chunks, etc... and then puts it in his gas tank with diesel fuel. Saving thousands on gas in a year.

Oh, he drives a Ford F350.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    Stuff like this makes me think narrow-minded Ford deserves to go under.
    Me too. Just like when they did away with their electric car models a few years ago. Just think what hot sellers they would have been if they had kept growing the line.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post

I know someone with a diesel truck, that has a system that runs on half diesel, half vegetable oil. So he has an agreement with one of the fast food restaurants, he takes their old grease, puts it through a filtering system in his garage which filter out all the leftover nugget chunks, etc... and then puts it in his gas tank with diesel fuel. Saving thousands on gas in a year.

I saw a man interviewed who did this also. He said his car does create an odor of frech fries. Does your friend experience this too? I'd be terrified I would be craving McDonald's fries all day!

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post

I will never give up my suvs..ever..We have 2 and my husband has an f350 dully diesel..Would never think of putting grease in the tank but tons of people here re doing it..If we can afford to drive them then we shouldnt be getting flack for it.Ill never go back to a car or mini suv
    Last edited by cupcake; September 18th, 2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: misspelling
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    I will never give up my suvs..ever..We have 2 and my husband has an f350 dully diesel..Would never think of putting grease in the tank but tons of people here re doing it..If we can afford to drive them then we shouldnt be getting flack for it.Ill never go back to a car or mini suv
    Really? Even when gas rises to 5, 6 or 7 dollars a gallon?

yup! My husband does the long distance traveling but he is self employed too we write our gas off..I just get around the city no more than 20 miles per day..I get 11mpg he gets 12.5..I think Lincoln has or is coming out with a suv hybrid that might be worth taking a look at
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I saw a man interviewed who did this also. He said his car does create an odor of frech fries. Does your friend experience this too? I'd be terrified I would be craving McDonald's fries all day!
    Yup!!

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    yup! My husband does the long distance traveling but he is self employed too we write our gas off..I just get around the city no more than 20 miles per day..I get 11mpg he gets 12.5..I think Lincoln has or is coming out with a suv hybrid that might be worth taking a look at
    Still seems like a waste of money.

^^And harsh on the environment.

Thread Information