Thread: Sarah Palin's allies sue to halt Troopergate investigation

Default Sarah Palin's allies sue to halt Troopergate investigation

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- Allies of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin asked a judge Tuesday to halt the state Legislature's investigation into the firing of her public service commissioner, calling the probe a "McCarthyistic" inquisition.

The five Republican state lawmakers who filed suit said the two Democrats and the former Anchorage prosecutor leading the probe "are unable to hold the balance between vindicating their own political interests and the interests of those who are being investigated."
    Palin, the Republican nominee for vice president, is battling allegations that she and her advisers pressured then-Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan to fire a state trooper going through a bitter custody dispute with Palin's sister -- and that Monegan was terminated when he refused. Palin says she fired Monegan over budget issues, and denies any wrongdoing.
    One of those named in the lawsuit, Sen. Kim Elton, declined comment Tuesday.
    Elton, the Democratic chairman of the bipartisan Legislative Council that commissioned the probe, and state Sen. Hollis French -- another Democrat and the lawmaker overseeing the investigation -- were named as defendants. So was Stephen Branchflower, the former Anchorage prosecutor hired to investigate Monegan's firing.
    The lawsuit alleges that Elton, French and Branchflower "are conducting a McCarthyistic investigation in an unlawful, biased, partial and partisan political manner in order to impact the upcoming Alaska general and national presidential elections."

Palin originally pledged to cooperate with the investigation that the Alaska Legislative Council commissioned in July. But since becoming Sen. John McCain's running mate, campaign spokesmen have lashed out at the probe as "tainted" and "partisan," and fought to get the state Personnel Board to launch its own probe.
    "I think it's fair to say that the governor is not going to cooperate with that investigation so long as it remained tainted and run by partisan individuals who have a predetermined conclusion," McCain-Palin campaign spokesman Ed O'Callaghan said Monday.
    In particular, campaign officials singled out comments French made to ABC News that they said suggested the investigation could yield criminal charges or an "October Surprise" for the GOP ticket. And they accuse the probe of being "hijacked" by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's campaign -- a charge the Obama campaign dismissed as "complete paranoia."
    Monegan said he was repeatedly pressured to take action against State Trooper Mike Wooten, Palin's ex-brother-in-law, before his July dismissal.
    Monday, the McCain-Palin campaign released documents it said bolster its argument that Monegan was fired over budget disputes and "egregious insubordination."

Palin allies sue to halt trooper probe - CNN.com

Quote Originally Posted by Belindagogo View Post
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- "I think it's fair to say that the governor is not going to cooperate with that investigation so long as it remained tainted and run by partisan individuals who have a predetermined conclusion," McCain-Palin campaign spokesman Ed O'Callaghan said Monday.
    It's unbelievable how these people lie and get away with it.

First of all, this investigation began before she was even asked to be VP, so how could the Dems have tainted it?

Secondly, there was a 12-0 vote to launch the investigation, and a majority vote in a Republican-led committee to authorize subpoenas.
    I don't call that partisan at all!!

What's really scary to me is that she thinks she is above the law. She fires people left and right for all sorts of bizarre reasons and then when someone calls foul, she won't talk. Remind you of anyone???

People should really be scared. I thought these so-called "reformers" were all for "transparent government."

If she ends up in the White House, I really fear for our country.

Quote Originally Posted by betagrl View Post
    It's unbelievable how these people lie and get away with it.

First of all, this investigation began before she was even asked to be VP, so how could the Dems have tainted it?

Secondly, there was a 12-0 vote to launch the investigation, and a majority vote in a Republican-led committee to authorize subpoenas.
    I don't call that partisan at all!!

What's really scary to me is that she thinks she is above the law. She fires people left and right for all sorts of bizarre reasons and then when someone calls foul, she won't talk. Remind you of anyone???

People should really be scared. I thought these so-called "reformers" were all for "transparent government."

If she ends up in the White House, I really fear for our country.
    Yup. She said she would cooperate many times. Now that her ass is going to be fried for her own actions, she's trying to weasel her way out of it. And she campaigned as a reformer!

I really am afraid that if she makes it to the White House and McCain croaks, then we'll have some sort of constitutional crisis because of some dumb thing she did. She can't cooperate with the legislature on an ETHICS investigation. How the hell would she work with congress?

If she's innocent, she should release all the information she has been holding captive, so that way the investigation can be sewn up ASAP, and she can be cleared of the charges.

Done.

Except she ain't gonna do that. Suing to derail a government investigation well within state procedure (an investigation with the blessing and urging of Republicans to boot) looks really, reaaaaaaaally bad.

so democrats wanting an investigation is a 'partisan witchhunt', but 5 repubs trying to stop it is... what? Not partisan?

LOL
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information