Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Conservatives turning on John McCain

  1. #1
    Elite Member Penny Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Posts
    21,646

    Default Conservatives turning on John McCain

    David Brooks writes in the New York Times that Sarah Palin is unqualified:

    In the current Weekly Standard, Steven Hayward argues that the nation's founders wanted uncertified citizens to hold the highest offices in the land. They did not believe in a separate class of professional executives. They wanted rough and rooted people like Palin.
    I would have more sympathy for this view if I hadn't just lived through the last eight years. For if the Bush administration was anything, it was the anti-establishment attitude put into executive practice.
    And the problem with this attitude is that, especially in his first term, it made Bush inept at governance. It turns out that governance, the creation and execution of policy, is hard. It requires acquired skills. Most of all, it requires prudence.
    ...
    Sarah Palin has many virtues. If you wanted someone to destroy a corrupt establishment, she'd be your woman. But the constructive act of governance is another matter. She has not been engaged in national issues, does not have a repertoire of historic patterns and, like President Bush, she seems to compensate for her lack of experience with brashness and excessive decisiveness.
    Ross Douthat agrees at the Atlantic:
    Now that we've seen the entirety of the Palin-Gibson tete-a-tete, I concur with Rich Lowry and Rod Dreher. The most that can be said in her defense is that she kept her cool and avoided any brutal gaffes; other than that, she seemed about an inch deep on every issue outside her comfort zone. Yes, the questions were tougher than the ones that a Tim Kaine or Tim Pawlenty probably would have been handed, but they were all questions that a vice-presidential nominee needs to be able to answer. And there's no way to look at her performance as anything save supporting evidence for the non-hysterical critique of her candidacy - that it's just too much, too soon - and a splash of cold water for those of us with high hopes for her future on the national stage.
    And in the Washington Post, Richard Cohen goes off on McCain, seizing on the Palin pick as a sign of how far gone the candidate is:
    McCain has turned ugly. His dishonesty would be unacceptable in any politician, but McCain has always set his own bar higher than most. He has contempt for most of his colleagues for that very reason: They lie. He tells the truth. He internalizes the code of the McCains -- his grandfather, his father: both admirals of the shining sea. He serves his country differently, that's all -- but just as honorably. No more, though. ...
    His opportunistic and irresponsible choice of Sarah Palin as his political heir -- the person in whose hands he would leave the country -- is a form of personal treason, a betrayal of all he once stood for. Palin, no matter what her other attributes, is shockingly unprepared to become president. McCain knows that. He means to win, which is all right; he means to win at all costs, which is not.

    Conservatives Turn On McCain-Palin


    Shit, meet fan.

  2. #2
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    Richard Cohen goes off on McCain, seizing on the Palin pick as a sign of how far gone the candidate is:
    McCain has turned ugly. .


    You don't say?



    LoL. I can't get enough of this pic.

  3. #3
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,489

    Default

    they may not like McCain....but they like a guy who's center- right a lot more than they'll like a Dem

    they'll hold their noses and vote mccain regardless.......just like the dems will vote Obama even if they don't like him
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  4. #4
    Elite Member cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay florida
    Posts
    4,804

    Default

    Ha! as soon as I saw this I knew it was goiing to say Washington Post and The Atlantic..figures...& means nothing
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

  5. #5
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    18,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    And in the Washington Post, Richard Cohen goes off on McCain, seizing on the Palin pick as a sign of how far gone the candidate is:
    McCain has turned ugly. His dishonesty would be unacceptable in any politician, but McCain has always set his own bar higher than most. He has contempt for most of his colleagues for that very reason: They lie. He tells the truth. He internalizes the code of the McCains -- his grandfather, his father: both admirals of the shining sea. He serves his country differently, that's all -- but just as honorably. No more, though. ...
    His opportunistic and irresponsible choice of Sarah Palin as his political heir -- the person in whose hands he would leave the country -- is a form of personal treason, a betrayal of all he once stood for. Palin, no matter what her other attributes, is shockingly unprepared to become president. McCain knows that. He means to win, which is all right; he means to win at all costs, which is not.
    Conservatives Turn On McCain-Palin


    Shit, meet fan.
    It's what I said before, in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Watching that video is totally depressing. Not just because we
    see an aging (or old) man clenching his teeth through questions
    he doesn't want to or can't answer. Not just because he's old
    and has health issues.
    But because of his sheer determination to do anything, say
    anything to sacrifice his country's and the world's stability
    for the benefit of his own, final, ambition and vanity.
    It's sickening
    .
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

  6. #6
    Elite Member NicoleWasHere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    kcmo
    Posts
    14,473

    Default

    I wanna kill myself, because I totally took the title of this thread the wrong way, just now.

  7. #7
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Sarah Palin has many virtues. If you wanted someone to destroy a corrupt establishment, she'd be your woman.
    I think refusing to cooperate with Troopergate, and highering her ex-classmates for high-profile government jobs that they weren't qualified for, means she's the LAST woman to take on a corrupt establishment.

  8. #8
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    they'll hold their noses and vote mccain regardless.......just like the dems will vote Obama even if they don't like him
    I disagree with that statement. I vote for who I think is a better candidate for the presidency of the U.S. and A (Borat) LOL.

    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    I wanna kill myself, because I totally took the title of this thread the wrong way, just now.
    Dear Lawd. What did you think it said, Nicole? LOL

  9. #9
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    I disagree with that statement. I vote for who I think is a better candidate for the presidency of the U.S. and A (Borat) LOL.
    you can disagree of course...but we weren't discussing how you vote....

    but if you think 'Conservatives' are going to vote for a pro-choice, pro-gun control, liberal dem........well, we'll have to disagree.....because then they wouldn't be conservatives.....
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  10. #10
    Elite Member sluce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Top Secret Spy for Leann Rimes
    Posts
    37,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    Ha! as soon as I saw this I knew it was goiing to say Washington Post and The Atlantic..figures...& means nothing
    and the New York Times?

  11. #11
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,489

    Default

    ^^ conservative bastions all
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  12. #12
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    you can disagree of course...but we weren't discussing how you vote....

    but if you think 'Conservatives' are going to vote for a pro-choice, pro-gun control, liberal dem........well, we'll have to disagree.....because then they wouldn't be conservatives.....
    Ouch. Snappy.
    I didn't say you singled me out, I was just stating, that is how I vote.

  13. #13
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    Ouch. Snappy.
    I didn't say you singled me out, I was just stating, that is how I vote.

    Didn't mean it that way...

    Sorry, droll doesn't come across well on the internet...
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  14. #14
    Elite Member cmmdee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Eva's Love Den
    Posts
    25,572

    Default

    ^^ No sweat. Tensions run high in these politico threads.
    So let's put our differences aside for a GR Hug.



    ...

    All right, enough of that. I am still not voting for Mccain. I keed. LOL.

  15. #15
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,489

    Default

    I'll drink to that babe



    I never did know how to stop
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 21st, 2008, 05:03 PM
  2. John Cusack takes on John McCain in political ad
    By mrs.v in forum Latest Gossip
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: June 13th, 2008, 03:47 PM
  3. Barack Obama criticizes John McCain on Senate floor, McCain hits back hard
    By witchcurlgirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: May 26th, 2008, 09:32 PM
  4. Barack Obama/John F. Kennedy vs. John McCain/Barry Goldwater
    By Fluffy in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 26th, 2008, 12:29 AM
  5. John McCain not yet energizing conservatives
    By kingcap72 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: February 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •