Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John McCain takes lead in national poll

Default John McCain takes lead in national poll

McCain takes lead in national poll - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

Posted by Foon Rhee, deputy national political editor September 16, 2008 10:32 AM

Is John McCain peaking too early?

Riding momentum from the Republican convention and buzz from running mate Sarah Palin, McCain has taken the lead in another national poll, but it's still 50 days to the election and there are three presidential debates to come.

The George Washington University "Battleground Poll" released today gives McCain a 46 percent to 40 percent lead over Democrat Barack Obama among likely voters. They were statistically tied in the same survey last month.

Like other surveys, the poll shows that the economy is clearly the most important issue for voters. It also shows McCain leading Obama on being a strong leader (51 percent to 37 percent) and keeping the country safe (57 percent to 33 percent), but Obama with a clear edge on bringing change to Washington (52 percent to 34 percent).

Obama remains ahead on "fighting for people like me" (48 percent to 42 percent) and "uniting the country" (47 percent to 39 percent). But McCain is making up ground on those latter two perceptions.
    The poll was conducted Sept. 7-11 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.
    sigh @ some of the blog comments.

Just goes to show how bitterly this country is divided. Why anyone would think our country is on the right track baffles me. Do they not read newspapers and see what is happening to our country? Oy vey.

Anyway, the state polls are what matter. It's going to be a tight race, but Obama/Biden are drawing huge, huge crowds of supporters and he's got a top-notch ground game. McCain needs Palin by his side, otherwise no on cares. I imagine that's going to start grating on his nerves. .Republican men don't typically enjoy playing second fiddle to a woman (okay I realize that's a stereotype!).

Those who are dumb enough to vote for the McSame ticket should be
    allowed to get their wishes granted. But only if the wiser part of the
    country can then have its own ticket to take care of business for them.
    In other words: no more United states of America, but the Republican
    States of America and the Democratic States of America a.k.a. the
    Wrong and the Right states of America.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by betagrl View Post
    Just goes to show how bitterly this country is divided. Why anyone would think our country is on the right track baffles me. Do they not read newspapers and see what is happening to our country? Oy vey.

Anyway, the state polls are what matter. It's going to be a tight race, but Obama/Biden are drawing huge, huge crowds of supporters and he's got a top-notch ground game. McCain needs Palin by his side, otherwise no on cares. I imagine that's going to start grating on his nerves. .Republican men don't typically enjoy playing second fiddle to a woman (okay I realize that's a stereotype!).
    The mistake that McCain is making, besides picking Palin as VP, is that he's trying to make her the foundation of his campaign. But with the constant scandals coming out about her on a daily basis, when she implodes it's going to backfire on McCain in a major way.

Bronze Member

I don't see where McCain is making Palin the foundation of his campaign. I just watched him at lunch and he didn't mention her once.

Could it be that you are reacting to how the media, etc. have put her to the forefront?
    According to my day planner, I don't give a f^ck.

^^ I firmly disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Feebes View Post
    I don't see where McCain is making Palin the foundation of his campaign. I just watched him at lunch and he didn't mention her once.

Could it be that you are reacting to how the media, etc. have put her to the forefront?
    I say Palin is the foundation of McCain's campaign because he barely travels anywhere without her, because she's the one that draws the crowds that he can't draw. The conservative base is united behind McCain's campaign, but only because of Palin. Until Palin came along conservatives were lukewarm toward McCain.

And Palin is getting so much media coverage because of the mountain of scandals that she's bringing with her. Which McCain could have avoided if he had actually met her more than once and done a thorough background check on her.

Sadly, many in this country would rather vote for a white man who can only lead the country further into ruin than an ethnic man who could offer a glimmer of hope.

Ignorance rears its head. How much of the country will the beast have for lunch before people open their eyes?

neither are the best in my opinion
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

I would like more info on the polls? Did they call the pollsters? Were they landline only numbers, which older people have? What time of day did they call, etc... These polls are garbage.

When I was in the Obama office last night, there were three new volunteers, women aged 40-50. So I think these polls are exaggerated.

^ I don't put much stock in them either and it's hard to know who to believe. Gallup came out today with a poll saying that McCain/Obama are pretty much tied at this point.

RealClearPolitics - RealClearPolitics Poll Averages

This is my personal preference because they consolidate results from various polls and provide the sample size.

^thanks

The current stats show they are statistically tie.

General Election: McCain vs. Obama

Poll Date Sample McCain (R) Obama (D) Spread
    RCP Average 09/05 - 09/15 -- 46.3 45.0 McCain +1.3
    Gallup Tracking 09/13 - 09/15 2800 RV 47 46 McCain +1
    Hotline/FD Tracking 09/13 - 09/15 909 RV 42 46 Obama +4
    Rasmussen Tracking 09/13 - 09/15 3000 LV 48 47 McCain +1
    Newsweek 09/10 - 09/11 1038 RV 46 46 Tie
    Battleground* 09/07 - 09/11 1000 LV 48 44 McCain +4
    Associated Press/GfK 09/05 - 09/10 812 LV 48 44 McCain +4
    FOX News 09/08 - 09/09 900 RV 45 42 McCain +3

just bear in mind that's it's not just polls....we don't elect based on the popular vote.......it's that darn electoral college, that's where it all counts.....
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information