Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fact checking Barack Obama

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Default Fact checking Barack Obama

FactChecking Obama
    August 29, 2008
    He stuck to the facts, except when he stretched them.

We checked the accuracy of Obama's speech accepting the Democratic nomination, and noted the following:

• Obama said he could “pay for every dime” of his spending and tax cut proposals “by closing corporate loopholes and tax havens.” That’s wrong – his proposed tax increases on upper-income individuals are key components of paying for his program, as well. And his plan, like McCain’s, would leave the U.S. facing big budget deficits, according to independent experts.
    • He twisted McCain’s words about Afghanistan, saying, “When John McCain said we could just 'muddle through' in Afghanistan, I argued for more resources.” Actually, McCain said in 2003 we “may” muddle through, and he recently also called for more troops there.
    • He said McCain would fail to lower taxes for 100 million Americans while his own plan would cut taxes for 95 percent of “working” families. But an independent analysis puts the number who would see no benefit from McCain’s plan at 66 million and finds that Obama’s plan would benefit 81 percent of all households when retirees and those without children are figured in.
    • Obama asked why McCain would "define middle-class as someone making under five million dollars a year"? Actually, McCain meant that comment as a joke, getting a laugh and following up by saying, "But seriously ..."
    • Obama noted that McCain’s health care plan would "tax people’s benefits" but didn’t say that it also would provide up to a $5,000 tax credit for families.
    • He said McCain, far from being a maverick who’s "broken with his party," has voted to support Bush policies 90 percent of the time. True enough, but by the same measure Obama has voted with fellow Democrats in the Senate 97 percent of the time.
    • Obama said "average family income" went down $2,000 under Bush, which isn't correct. An aide said he was really talking only about "working" families and not retired couples. And – math teachers, please note – he meant median (or midpoint) and not really the mean or average. Median family income actually has inched up slightly under Bush.
    Analysis
    Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama accepted his party's nomination Aug. 28, speaking before more than 84,000 people in Denver's Mile High football stadium. Some of his comments were worthy of a ref's yellow flag.

Rest of the article at FactCheck.org: FactChecking Obama

I do not understand how people expect tax cuts, but also expect other things to be done. Perhaps not the best thread to ask this..but...I just do not understand that.
    I've read that the country that has the most taxes, actually takes the best care of its residence from birth to death. I think its Sweden? But I'm not 100pct sure.
    I'd rather pay a lot of taxes and know I am set for life, then pay less and less and wondering who is going to look after me when I am too old to work.

He said McCain, far from being a maverick who’s "broken with his party," has voted to support Bush policies 90 percent of the time. True enough, but by the same measure Obama has voted with fellow Democrats in the Senate 97 percent of the time.
    Except the Dems weren't the ones running the country into the ground like Bush did.

Amen to that,King!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Except the Dems weren't the ones running the country into the ground like Bush did.
    serious question, just wonder if you or anyone knows off the top of your head. i thought the democrats led in the senate and/or house, and have for the past four years??

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

You can 'fact check' Obama till the cows give diesel and unleaded and he would STILL have far fewer lies than Mooselini. He has this thing called personal integrity, something that Mooselini talks a lot about but doesn't seem to have more than a smallish inkling of.

"He twisted McCain’s words about Afghanistan, saying, “When John McCain said we could just 'muddle through' in Afghanistan, I argued for more resources.” Actually, McCain said in 2003 we “may” muddle through, and he recently also called for more troops there."

Sounds more like McCain flip-flopped.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by cheetopia View Post
    You can 'fact check' Obama till the cows give diesel and unleaded and he would STILL have far fewer lies than Mooselini. He has this thing called personal integrity, something that Mooselini talks a lot about but doesn't seem to have more than a smallish inkling of.

I don't disagree with you.. but those are our opinions.

We see so much about John McCain and Sarah Palin on here I thought it would be good to see both sides.

I'm voting for Obama but I certainly don't agree with everything he says or does.

serious question, just wonder if you or anyone knows off the top of your head. i thought the democrats led in the senate and/or house, and have for the past four years??
    Yes.. but I believe it's only been 2 years???

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    No, Democrats have only controlled since January 2007. Even then, they lack the 2/3 majority needed to override a veto from Bush.

The "Magic 60" would give Democrats a filibuster-proof majority, and the keys to true power in the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    The Dems have only controlled the House and Senate since January 2007. Now that's not to say that the Dems are perfect, but like I wrote before, the Dems aren't the ones who ran the country into the ground like Bush did.

For those people that want to get a clearer view of Obama, McCain, Palin and Biden they should check out the CNN Revealed programs on all four of them.

McCain's advisor was called out this morning on Meet The Press for a serious stretching of facts aout sex education for 5 year olds. He said they should be warned about inappropriate adult touching,etc-and they should. It was stretched to the point of breaking when McCain approved a message saying it would involve far greater indepth teaching! That is just low. McCain knew full well what he meant.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^That was one of the lowest political ads I've ever seen. Especially since they used a picture of Obama smirking. IMO it was even subtle racism...

^^ "Protect your children, Obama's on the loose!!"

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    ^^That was one of the lowest political ads I've ever seen. Especially since they used a picture of Obama smirking. IMO it was even subtle racism...
    If you think that's low, just wait until the 527's get rolling in a few days. I think it's gonna get even dirtier.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."-Einstein

^^ UGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sickened to think of what is loaded into the cannons waiting to fire, but I'm even more sickened that people will BELIEVE the fucking LIES!!! No wonder the Bush/Rove wants a weak education system, it produces a nation of ignorant minds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information