Thread: Forum sells 'Obama Waffles' with racial stereotype

Default Forum sells 'Obama Waffles' with racial stereotype

Forum sells 'Obama Waffles' with racial stereotype - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON Activists at a conservative political forum snapped up boxes of waffle mix depicting Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama as a racial stereotype on its front and wearing Arab-like headdress on its top flap.
    Values Voter Summit organizers cut off sales of Obama Waffles boxes on Saturday, saying they had not realized the boxes displayed "offensive material." The summit and the exhibit hall where the boxes were sold had been open since Thursday afternoon.
    The box was meant as political satire, said Mark Whitlock and Bob DeMoss, two writers from Franklin, Tenn., who created the mix. They sold it for $10 a box from a rented booth at the summit sponsored by the lobbying arm of the Family Research Council.
    David Nammo, executive director of the lobbying group FRC Action, said summit organizers were told the boxes were a parody of Obama's policy positions but had not examined them closely.
    Republican Party stalwarts Newt Gingrich and Mitt Romney were among speakers at the forum, which officials said drew 2,100 activists from 44 states.
    While Obama Waffles takes aim at Obama's politics by poking fun at his public remarks and positions on issues, it also plays off the old image of the pancake-mix icon Aunt Jemima, which has been widely criticized as a demeaning stereotype. Obama is portrayed with popping eyes and big, thick lips as he stares at a plate of waffles and smiles broadly.
    Placing Obama in Arab-like headdress recalls the false rumor that he is a follower of Islam, though he is actually a Christian.
    On the back of the box, Obama is depicted in stereotypical Mexican dress, including a sombrero, above a recipe for "Open Border Fiesta Waffles" that says it can serve "4 or more illegal aliens." The recipe includes a tip: "While waiting for these zesty treats to invade your home, why not learn a foreign language?"
    The novelty item also takes shots at 2004 Democratic nominee John Kerry, Obama's wife, Michelle, and Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.
    The Obama campaign declined to comment.
    Wearing white chef's aprons, Whitlock and DeMoss were doing a brisk business at noon Saturday selling the waffle mix to people crowded around their booth. Two pyramids of waffle mix boxes stood several feet high on the booth's table.
    "It's the ultimate political souvenir," DeMoss told a customer.
    Asked if he considered the pictures of Obama on the box to be racial stereotypes, Whitlock said: "We had some people mention that to us, but you think of Newman's Own or Emeril's there are tons and tons of personality-branded food products on the market. So we've taken that model and, using political satire, have highlighted his policies, his position changes."
    The socially conservative public policy groups American Values and Focus on the Family Action co-sponsored the summit.

I can't believe people like this still exist.

I don't like wish bad on to others, but please go away soon kthxbai.

Hit By Ban Bus!

"Point box toward Mecca for tastier waffles."

Is what it says there in red ... alright - so it is racist, terrible and disgusting, but I gotta admit ... that part made me laugh. (I know, I know, I'm going to hell)

Just Ignorant...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

But these are the same people that claim Palin is the victim of constant sexism.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Well they did paste her head on a half naked woman... Not nearly as offensive as the Obama waffles IMO, but still ridiculous!

It should all stop.. none of it is necessary.

Stick to the issues people..

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    But these are the same people that claim Palin is the victim of constant sexism.
    King, racism doesn't exist anymore, don't you know? Anyone whoclaims racist or racially prejudice on anything is "using the race card".

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    Well they did paste her head on a half naked woman... Not nearly as offensive as the Obama waffles IMO, but still ridiculous!

It should all stop.. none of it is necessary.

Stick to the issues people..
    Actually, I think her 'fans' did that, as they photoshopped her head onto a Vogue cover.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Thread Information