Thread: Sarah Palin's E-mail-gate grows: Used Yahoo mail to conduct government business

Default Sarah Palin's E-mail-gate grows: Used Yahoo mail to conduct government business

Activist seeks Palin e-mails - Los Angeles Times
    From the Los Angeles Times
    Activist seeks Palin e-mails

A public records request includes more than 1,100 messages, including 40 copied to Palin's husband.
    By Karl Vick
    Washington Post

September 10, 2008

WASILLA, ALASKA Gov. Sarah Palin is being asked by a local Republican activist to release more than 1,100 e-mails she withheld from a public records request, including 40 that were copied to her husband, Todd.

Palin had claimed executive privilege for documents copied to her husband, who is not a state employee, in responding to an open records request in June made by Andree McLeod, an activist in Anchorage.

The administrative appeal filed Tuesday by McLeod's attorney, Donald C. Mitchell, argued that by copying Todd Palin on sensitive state correspondence, the governor and her aides shattered the privilege rightly afforded elected officials.

"She has allowed Todd Palin -- who has not been elected by the people of Alaska, who is not a state employee -- to entangle himself apparently as he sees fit in the operations of the executive branch of the state government," Mitchell said.

"From the case law, if government voluntarily opens up that internal decision-making to what I would call civilians, then that is waiver of that protection of the government policy decision-making process. That is what happened here, and it happened because Sarah Palin doesn't understand it," he said.

Todd Palin was frequently copied on e-mails relating to Alaska State Troopers and the union representing public safety employees, according to McLeod, who received four boxes of redacted e-mails in response to her request.

At the time, both Sarah and Todd Palin were complaining to the state public safety commissioner about a disciplinary matter involving her ex-brother-in-law, a state trooper.

Palin also routinely does government business from a Yahoo address, gov.sarah@yahoo.com, rather than from her secure official state e-mail address, according to documents already made public.

"Whoops!" Palin aide Frank Bailey wrote, after addressing an e-mail to the governor's official state address.

"Frank, This is not the Governor's personal account," a secretary reminded him.

Calls seeking response from the governor were not immediately returned.

Palin last month described McLeod as a disgruntled former employee, although in 2004 Palin endorsed her as a state House candidate "not afraid to stand up for what's right."

Mitchell's appeal, addressed to Palin in her capacity as the decision-maker on the earlier records request, questions the wisdom of the governor and her aides in shipping messages about state business between their public and private e-mail accounts "with complete and total abandon."

"There's a reason the governor should be using her own official e-mail channels, because of security and encryption," the lawyer said.

"She's running state business out of Yahoo?"
    CC'ing hubby on official business was bad enough, but using a web-based, commercial account for government business?? You'd think even computer-illiterate McCain would realize the recklessness with that. I guess the only privacy that matters is her own family's, unless she wants to trot them out for personal gain.

She had no business CC'ing her hubby on goverment affairs. If she had no problem forwarding Alaskan shit to him, then I shudder to think what she'd divulge to him about our National government affairs.

And the hackers will come out of the woodwork.. just wait... stupid woman using Yahoo email for all her official business. Stupid stupid stupid.

SVZ

yahoo is REALLY, REALLY easy to hack in to. like really easy.

I just got an email from the address. It is claiming I'm the next of kin and that there is a trunk of money waiting for me in Nigeria.

And the hackers will come out of the woodwork.. just wait...
    Feed her to the chans

What idiot conducts government business with a Yahoo account? Was she telling people how on a clear day she could see forever...and Russia?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    She had no business CC'ing her hubby on goverment affairs. If she had no problem forwarding Alaskan shit to him, then I shudder to think what she'd divulge to him about our National government affairs.

And the hackers will come out of the woodwork.. just wait... stupid woman using Yahoo email for all her official business. Stupid stupid stupid.
    Very stupid.

Elite Member

Now the stupidest thing about this article to me is if that truly is her yahoo email account how long til hackers get into it?

I'm sure theres just a ton of juicy stuff in that out box.

I hope they do & let us see it all!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I do, but I don't that could hurt more people than just her.

Thread Information