Ethics Adviser Warned Palin
    About Trooper Issue

Letter Described
    Situation as 'Grave,'
    Called for Apology
    By JIM CARLTON
    Wall Street Journal
    September 11, 2008; Page A8

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- An informal adviser who has counseled Gov. Sarah Palin on ethics issues urged her in July to apologize for her handling of the dismissal of the state's public safety commissioner and warned that the matter could snowball into a bigger scandal.
    Associated Press Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten (right) answers questions about the 'Troopergate' investigation on Tuesday.
    He also said, in a letter reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, that she should fire any aides who had raised concerns with the chief over a state trooper who was involved in a bitter divorce with the governor's sister.
    In the letter, written before Sen. John McCain picked the Alaska governor as his running mate, former U.S. Attorney Wevley Shea warned Gov. Palin that "the situation is now grave" and recommended that she and her husband, Todd Palin, apologize for "overreaching or perceived overreaching" for using her position to try to get Trooper Mike Wooten fired from the force.
    Mr. Shea was acting on his own in writing the letter, with no official capacity. In late 2006, Gov. Palin asked him to co-write an ethics report for Gov. Palin with then-House Democratic leader Ethan Berkowitz that recommended new financial-disclosure rules for elected and appointed officials in the statehouse. That report served as a key document for the ethics bill she later signed into law.
    After his initial letter in July, Mr. Shea followed up with another letter, dated Aug. 4, in which he told Gov. Palin that she probably couldn't legally shun a legislative investigation into the firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan.
    Gov. Palin has taken the opposite tack, hiring a private attorney to advise in a matter that has become known as "Troopergate." Seven Palin administration employees have refused to meet with the independent investigator. The McCain-Palin campaign has argued that the state legislature has no right to look into the matter. Palin spokesmen say the state personnel board is the appropriate investigative body, setting up a showdown between the state's legislative and executive branches.
    Associated Press Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin in Juneau, Alaska, on Sept. 5, 2007.
    The McCain-Palin campaign referred comment on the letters to the governor's office, which confirmed receipt of them. "While we can't always act on every idea, Gov. Palin thanks Mr. Shea for his counsel," Sharon Leighow, the governor's deputy press secretary, said in a statement.
    Members of the House and Judiciary committees overseeing the probe -- which lawmakers want wrapped up by early October -- meet Friday to consider issuing subpoenas to the governor's staff.
    Mr. Shea, in his Aug. 4 letter, warned Gov. Palin against taking her current approach. "My feeling is this is not a personnel matter. It doesn't have anything to do with the governing of the state of Alaska," he said in an interview this week.
    The governor has denied any wrongdoing in the matter and said the commissioner was removed over an unrelated budget dispute. After bipartisan committees of the state legislature in late July approved $100,000 to hire an independent investigator to see if any laws were broken, Gov. Palin pledged the full cooperation of herself and her staff.
    Ethics Adviser Warned Palin About Trooper Issue

Hit By Ban Bus!

Man ... troopergate ... librarian gate ... the bridge to nowhere gate... none of these things will ever resonate with the electorate.

I personally agree they are valid questions about who she is and what kind of leader she would be, but the large scale voting population never seems to care about these things for some reason - people need to stop focusing on the things in the past and focus on what she stands for cause she stands for some really scary things!

To give u a looking glass to look thru - no one cared about Bill Clinton and his numerous alleged indiscretions before he won ... and no one cared about Bush doing crazy lines of coke and avoiding the draft by being a Natl. guard rocket jockey then even avoiding his service on THAT during the Vietnam war!

People need to focus on issues, not on the past. Focus on issues that matter and Palin and McCain have serious problems!

You would have a point, except Troopergate isn't the past. She's currently under ethics investigation for abuse of power. That's a key issue when you're running to be vice-president. Some people who love Palin may not care about that, (not saying that you love Palin) but people who are on the fence will care because it plays into her credibility or lack thereof.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    You would have a point, except Troopergate isn't the past. She's currently under ethics investigation for abuse of power. That's a key issue when you're running to be vice-president. Some people who love Palin may not care about that, but people who are on the fence will care because it plays into her credibility or lack thereof.
    The ethics investigation is something lawyers will deal with and make go away ... they will only serve to make the media look like it is unfairly going after Palin, which will spread to every other relevant issue the media attacks Palin on to the general electorate.

If you read about the trooper thing you'll see the Trooper she went after is a total scumbag ... I don't mean to diminish your post or your concern - but in the grand scheme of things how it looks on a local level is drastically different than how it affects a national campaign.

In the end, the courts will end up siding with Palin on this matter - for right or wrong that will be the result and the story ... and it will go to diminish any other media report against her.

Much like Paula Jones, Mena Airport, or the Alabama National Gaurd it will be relegated in the public database as one of those outlandish conspiracy theories that do nothing but sheild her from any valid media critiques about her ability to lead on the issues.

I in no way mean to assault your view on the importance of the issue at hand ... just trying to speculate on the broader view of the political and media environment we live in.

Whew - thats alot of bs to type!

The biggest problem:

This dude's facial hair. Holy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    The ethics investigation is something lawyers will deal with and make go away ... they will only serve to make the media look like it is unfairly going after Palin, which will spread to every other relevant issue the media attacks Palin on to the general electorate.

If you read about the trooper thing you'll see the Trooper she went after is a total scumbag ... I don't mean to diminish your post or your concern - but in the grand scheme of things how it looks on a local level is drastically different than how it affects a national campaign.

In the end, the courts will end up siding with Palin on this matter - for right or wrong that will be the result and the story ... and it will go to diminish any other media report against her.

Much like Paula Jones, Mena Airport, or the Alabama National Gaurd it will be relegated in the public database as one of those outlandish conspiracy theories that do nothing but sheild her from any valid media critiques about her ability to lead on the issues.

I in no way mean to assault your view on the importance of the issue at hand ... just trying to speculate on the broader view of the political and media environment we live in.

Whew - thats alot of bs to type!
    I get what you're saying, and I'm sure Palin will probably squirm out of this. And I've read up on Wooten, and he's a scumbag, but that still didn't give Palin the right to fire Wooten's boss because she had a vendetta against Wooten, since before she was elected governor, and then she wants to hide behind 'executive priviledge.' That sounds too much like Bush and Cheney. It's things like that which are what make Troopergate relevant. How she conducted herself as governor is a key indication as to how she'll conduct herself as VP or maybe president.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I get what you're saying, and I'm sure Palin will probably squirm out of this. And I've read up on Wooten, and he's a scumbag, but that still didn't give Palin the right to fire Wooten's boss because she had a vendetta against Wooten, since before she was elected governor, and then she wants to hide behind 'executive priviledge.' That sounds too much like Bush and Cheney. It's things like that which are what make Troopergate relevant. How she conducted herself as governor is a key indication as to how she'll conduct herself as VP or maybe president.
    I agree, I agree, I agree wholeheartedly!

But the thing about John and Jane Q. public is they just don't care to follow that kinda logic.

"And then she did this, and then she did that, and then this happened, and then that happened", you've already lost them - they are thinking about their mortgage, their job, and who their kids 1st grade teacher is.

It sounds cliche, but you got to hit them with one phrase, one blast, one idea attacks or it just goes right over them!

Like - if your daughter is raped by a homicidal maniac, Sarah Palin wants to force her to keep the child.

or- Sarah Palin wants to drill the balls out of one of the last pristine pieces of wildlife in the US just to drop the cost of oil by 3 cents.

There are a lot of probs. with Palin ... prob. is the dems are so chickenshit they tend to go after the wrong ones.

Here's my deal with the Dems. - ever since the '96 elections they have failed to motivate their base - they take it as some sort of assumption that Dems will turn out to vote and they reach for the middle ... which is why the last elections have been so close. Repubs. motivate their base - which is how they have won the last close battles.

Dems gotta get out and motivate their base - gotta avoid the wedge bullshit, make it about the issues, and get the hardcore Dems out in force to win this one. There are news reports that Ob ama is running a 50 state campaign - what a MORON! Hopefully Bill Clinton will come into the fold and convince him to run a targeted EC victory campaign ... watch out fot Billbo tho - don't think Hill is eyeing the 2012 campaign!

These people ... these "politicians" we call our leaders - I grew up with them, they are all over my family - let me tell you ... they are smart, fickle, and some of the most egotiscal people you will ever meet.

(Full disclosure - I'm independent - raised republican, then I grew up -I haven't decided yet)

Elite Member

I think the VP selection of Palin is motivating the hell out of Democrats. She scares the hell out of a lot of people, because she has this overreaching ambition and she's too much of a extremist. I think as many people will vote against her as they will for Obama.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^thats where the "I don't know her" strategy comes in ... can't be made to care either one way or another about someone you don't know.

I agree, I agree, I agree wholeheartedly!

But the thing about John and Jane Q. public is they just don't care to follow that kinda logic.

"And then she did this, and then she did that, and then this happened, and then that happened", you've already lost them - they are thinking about their mortgage, their job, and who their kids 1st grade teacher is.

It sounds cliche, but you got to hit them with one phrase, one blast, one idea attacks or it just goes right over them!

Like - if your daughter is raped by a homicidal maniac, Sarah Palin wants to force her to keep the child.

or- Sarah Palin wants to drill the balls out of one of the last pristine pieces of wildlife in the US just to drop the cost of oil by 3 cents.

There are a lot of probs. with Palin ... prob. is the dems are so chickenshit they tend to go after the wrong ones.

Here's my deal with the Dems. - ever since the '96 elections they have failed to motivate their base - they take it as some sort of assumption that Dems will turn out to vote and they reach for the middle ... which is why the last elections have been so close. Repubs. motivate their base - which is how they have won the last close battles.

Dems gotta get out and motivate their base - gotta avoid the wedge bullshit, make it about the issues, and get the hardcore Dems out in force to win this one. There are news reports that Ob ama is running a 50 state campaign - what a MORON! Hopefully Bill Clinton will come into the fold and convince him to run a targeted EC victory campaign ... watch out fot Billbo tho - don't think Hill is eyeing the 2012 campaign!

These people ... these "politicians" we call our leaders - I grew up with them, they are all over my family - let me tell you ... they are smart, fickle, and some of the most egotiscal people you will ever meet.

(Full disclosure - I'm independent - raised republican, then I grew up -I haven't decided yet)
    I get what you're saying about John & Jane Public. The people who don't really bother to read up on the issues tend to just focus on 'he said, she said.' Or whether or not they can relate to the person, which is how we got stuck with Dubya for 8 long years.

And I agree that the Dems need to motivate their base with a target issue, which should be the economy. And the Dems do need to learn how to go on the attack more instead of ALWAYS finding themselves on the defensive.

And I'm independent, even though I tend to vote Democratic.

Hit By Ban Bus!

And I agree that the Dems need to motivate their base with a target issue, which should be the economy.
    The economy ... or the fact that if your Mom or Sister was raped and impregnated, Sarah Palin would force you to keep the child .... WTF?

I mean ..... WTF?

The economy ... or the fact that if your Mom or Sister was raped and impregnated, Sarah Palin would force you to keep the child .... WTF?

I mean ..... WTF?

The Dems need to avoid making abortion an issue. Because something tells me that with Palin choosing to have a Down Syndrome baby, and her daughter being pregnant, the Republicans might be moving into making abortion the new wedge issue like they did with gay marriage in 2004. And that's when things are really going to get ugly.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The Dems need to avoid making abortion an issue. Because something tells me that with Palin choosing to have a Down Syndrome baby, and her daughter being pregnant, the Republicans might be moving into making abortion the new wedge issue like they did with gay marriage in 2004. And that's when things are really going to get ugly.
    To be honest - I think the "abortion" issue will work against the repubs in this case - I think even most repubs who stand against abortion will find it repugnant when they learn Palin favors anti-abortion even in the case of incest or rape.

If the Dems can spin the issue not about Abortion, but abortion when it comes to rape and incest, they might have their own wedge issue.

To be honest - I think the "abortion" issue will work against the repubs in this case - I think even most repubs who stand against abortion will find it repugnant when they learn Palin favors anti-abortion even in the case of incest or rape.

If the Dems can spin the issue not about Abortion, but abortion when it comes to rape and incest, they might have their own wedge issue.
    Maybe. But something tells me whichever party makes abortion a key talking point is going to watch it blow up in their face. So, I'd rather that be the Republicans.

Lawmakers vote to subpoena Todd Palin - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com

MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lawmakers vote to subpoena Todd Palin
    Alaska lawmakers vote to subpoena 13 witnesses in Troopergate probe
    The Associated Press
    updated 1:38 p.m. PT, Fri., Sept. 12, 2008
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska lawmakers voted Friday to subpoena the husband of Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice presidential candidate, in a move that transformed a messy state personnel issue into a national campaign controversy.

The lawmakers acted at the request of Stephen Branchflower, who is in the midst of an investigation into the governor's dismissal of the state's director of public safety.

Branchflower said he also wants to interview the governor, but omitted her from the 13-person list of subpoena targets he presented to the lawmakers overseeing his investigation.

Branchflower said Todd Palin is "such a central figure. ... I think one should be issued for him."

Thomas Van Flein, a private attorney hired to represent the governor, did not immediately return calls for comment.

Two Democrats and one Republican voted for the subpoenas, rejecting attempts by the other two Republicans on the panel to delay them until after the November election.

Sen. Charlie Huggins, a Republican from Palin's hometown of Wasilla, appeared in camouflage pants on a short break from moose hunting to cast his vote. He lamented the political maneuvering that he saw as trying to interfere with the investigation.

"I see all this duck-foot action under the water," Huggins said. "Let's just get the facts on the table.

The Legislature hired Branchflower to examine whether Palin ousted her public safety commissioner in July because he had refused to fire state trooper Mike Wooten. Wooten went through a messy divorce from Palin's sister, and the investigation essentially is looking at whether Palin used her power to try to settle a personal score.

One member of Palin's administration was caught on tape discussing personal information about Wooten, raising questions of how he knew those details.

The investigation — known as "Troopergate" — began before Palin was chosen as Sen. John McCain's running mate. Since then, Palin's supporters have argued that the investigation is politically motivated, and urged lawmakers to turn the matter over to the three-member State Personnel Board, which is appointed by the governor and charged with handling ethics complaints.

Palin has said she fired the commissioner, Walt Monegan, over disagreements about budget priorities. Monegan says he received repeated e-mails and phone calls from Palin, her husband and her staff expressing dismay over Wooten's continued employment.

Branchflower also asked for a subpoena for the phone records of one Palin administration official, Frank Bailey. Bailey was recorded calling an Alaska State Trooper lieutenant and discussing confidential information about Wooten, including his job application and worker's compensation claim. In a deposition taken by Palin's attorney, he testified that he never saw Wooten's file, but instead received the information from Todd Palin.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: Lawmakers vote to subpoena Todd Palin - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2008 MSNBC.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information