Thread: President Bill Clinton to hit campaign trail for Barack Obama

Default President Bill Clinton to hit campaign trail for Barack Obama

NEW YORK - Barack Obama revealed Wednesday that former President Clinton, once the presidential nominee's nemesis, will campaign for him during the weeks leading up to Election Day.

"There's nobody smarter in politics," Obama said on CBS' "Late Show with David Letterman," scheduled to air Wednesday night. "And he is going to be campaigning for us over the next eight weeks, which I'm thrilled by."

The two were scheduled to have lunch Thursday at Clinton's office in New York. Clinton spokesman Matt McKenna said the former president would campaign for Obama at a yet-to-be announced site in Florida on Sept. 29, with plans for more fundraising and events in the works.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton already has been hitting the trail for Obama.
    During the Democratic presidential primary, the former president acted as his wife's chief defender from Obama's successful challenge to her candidacy, which strained relations between him and Obama. Clinton portrayed Obama as too inexperienced for a presidential run, and Obama said sometimes it was hard to tell which Clinton he was running against.

The two didn't speak for nearly a month after the campaign ended, but their silence ended when Obama called and the former president offered to do whatever he could to help Obama win.

Obama said there are parallels between his campaign against Republican John McCain and Clinton's 1992 race against incumbent GOP President George H.W. Bush. He said both came during tough economic times.

"He was young and people were still trying to figure out whether or not the guy was up to the job," Obama said of Clinton. "And so I think having him talk about why we need to change the economy in a fundamental way so it works for middle-class families so that they can get ahead, so that they can send their kids to college, I think he'd be a great advocate to have on behalf of the campaign."

Letterman asked Obama if he would consider Bill Clinton for a Cabinet position if he wins.

"I think if you are a former president, you don't take Cabinet positions," Obama said to laughter from the audience. "I think it's sort of been there, done that. It's sort of like getting Mickey Mantle to play AAA. You don't do it. But obviously you consult with him as often as you can, because, look, there are only a handful of people who have actually done the job."
    President Clinton to hit campaign trail for Obama - Yahoo! News
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Elite Member

All Bill needs to say is that he's gotten to know Obama, and he believes in him and his ideas. Done deal.

Git on out there,Clinton!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I wonder if Clinton chose the date....It's Rosh Hashanah.....won't get much of a Jewish turn out.....sounds like Slick Willie to me....'Yeah, I'll make an appearance for you in the state where you're trying to get the Jewish vote, but I'll do it on the High Holidays when no one will come'
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Mighty nice of Bill, all things considered. I'm sure that President Clinton did not enjoy being called a racist. Somehow I feel sure that if Obama loses it will be Bill and Hillary's fault. No good deed goes unpunished.

For some reason, I see the Democrats at this point in 2008 as Superfriends coming out in droves to get Obama elected. Seriously.

Bill Clinton was the only/last Democratic President able to attend the DNC after Jimmy Carter.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    All Bill needs to say is that he's gotten to know Obama, and he believes in him and his ideas. Done deal.
    Uh. not really. I supported Clinton but I am not an ultimate follower. What was good 15 yrs ago isn't necessarily good now so not everyone feels that way

I'm glad Bill is hitting the trail for Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Mighty nice of Bill, all things considered. I'm sure that President Clinton did not enjoy being called a racist. Somehow I feel sure that if Obama loses it will be Bill and Hillary's fault. No good deed goes unpunished.
    And I'm sure Obama didn't like being categorized as a 'fairytale' either. But that's politics. They're both big boys, they can handle it.

And, yeah, you're right, no good deed goes unpunished. Obama constantly praised Hillary's historic campaign, and gave her and Bill prime speaking roles at the conventions, and yet he still gets accused of having 'stolen' the nomination from poor Hillary and 'snubbed' her for VP.

Just had to post, cause I called that Clinton was up to something with the high holidays in this thread two weeks ago. I know Bill

Bill Clinton: I'll campaign for Obama 'after the Jewish holidays'

(CNN) — Bill Clinton praised Sarah Palin Wednesday, saying he found the Alaska governor an “appealing person” and her and her family “gutsy, spirited and real.”

“I think that she and her husband and their kids come across gutsy, spirited and real,” he said in an interview to be broadcast Wednesday night. “I have significant disagreements with her about any number of social and economic issues but I find her an appealing person and I think that it’s best to say that Senator McCain looks like he knew what he was doing. He picked somebody who gave him a lot of energy, a lot of support.”

Clinton said Palin’s selection also helped Barack Obama, because it brought more Democratic money and volunteers to his campaign.

Clinton told reporters in New York Monday he knows why the Alaska governor is attracting massive crowds on the campaign trail.

"I come from Arkansas, I get why she's hot out there," Clinton told reporters in New York, according to the Associated Press. "Why she's doing well."

"People look at her, and they say, 'All those kids. Something that happens in everybody's family I'm glad she loves her daughter and she's not ashamed of her. Glad that girl's going around with her boyfriend. Glad they're going to get married,'" he said.

Referencing Palin's 5-month old child who has Down Syndrome, Clinton also said Monday that voters will think, "I like that little Down syndrome kid — one of them lives down the street, they're wonderful children.”

On Wednesday, the former president fired back at critics who’ve questioned his level of support for Obama, and have called on him to attack John McCain. “Well, if you look at the speech I gave in Denver and the speech Hillary gave, I think it would be hard to question the depth of our feeling and the fact that we gave good reasons for why we were supporting Senator Obama and Senator Biden,” he told King.

“….I think you can argue that [Hillary Clinton] has done more than all other runner-ups have in the Democratic Party in 40 years. We have been quite clear on this. We’re not party-wreckers, and we believe that the country needs to take a different course.

He also said some Democrats were so “enthralled, as all of our strongest supporters are, that they don’t think you’re for them unless you’re dumping on somebody else. I personally think that is not a good strategy to win this election,” he said. “That is, everybody wants Hillary or me or, for that matter, Senator Obama or Senator Biden just to say bad things about Senator McCain or Governor Palin. Those people are already for us.”

Clinton told King he would be hitting the campaign trail for Obama in Florida, to Ohio, to northeast Pennsylvania, and Nevada “at a minimum" in October, “after the Jewish holidays” are over.

"Are you kind of feeling Jewish that you're waiting until after the Jewish holidays?" asked King.

"No. But I think it would be — if we're trying to win in Florida, it may be that — you know, they think that because of who I am and where my political base has traditionally been, they may want me to go sort of hustle up what Lawton Chiles used to call the 'cracker vote' there.

"But Senator Obama also has a big stake in doing well in the Jewish community in Florida, where Hillary did very well and where I did very well. And I just think respecting the holidays is a good thing to do," he said.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Bill Clinton: I’ll campaign for Obama ‘after the Jewish holidays’ « - Blogs from CNN.com
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Bill can't decide which dick he wants to suck.

Obama needs to bring in the Jewish vote but these are the high holidays and not a time to schedule speaking engagements. After Yom Kippur he will get the attention needed.

Bill clinton needs to stop helping the opponent.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information