Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama says 'enough' about 'lipstick' smear

Default Barack Obama says 'enough' about 'lipstick' smear

ABC News: Obama Says 'Enough' About 'Lipstick' Smear

'Lipstick on a Pig' Phrase Stirs Increasingly Negative Presidential Campaign

By KATE SNOW and JAKE TAPPER
    Sept. 10, 2008

Sen. Barack Obama angrily challenged Republican claims that he insulted Gov. Sarah Palin by using the expression "lipstick on a pig" to describe Sen. John McCain's attempts to paint himself as an agent of change, calling the GOP indignation "phony outrage and Swift boat politics."

Obama: McCain would rather have the story about "phony and foolish diversions."

"What their campaign has done this morning is the same game that makes people sick and tired about politics in this country," Obama told students at Granby High School in Norfolk, Va.
    Obama was referring to a new Web video that states that Obama called Palin a pig, as well as demands by the GOP's Palin Truth Squad that he apologize to Palin for the remark, insisting it was a direct shot at the Republican vice presidential candidate.
    "She is the only one of the four candidates for president, or the only vice presidential candidate who wears lipstick," said former Massachusetts Gov. Jane Swift, a member of the Palin Truth Squad. "I mean, it seemed to me a very gendered comment."

Watch Gov. Sarah Palin's Exclusive Interview With ABC News' Charlie Gibson Beginning Thursday

Palin had highlighted her use of lipstick during her acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention by calling herself a "hockey mom" and joking that the only difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull was lipstick. Obama did not sound like he intended to apologize during his campaign stop this morning in Virginia.

"Spare me the phony outrage, spare me the phony talk about change," he scoffed.
    "The McCain camp would much rather have this be about phony and foolish diversions," Obama said. He said it was reminiscent of earlier Republican campaign tactics of "lies, phony outrage and Swift Boat politics."

The Swift Boat politics was a reference to a GOP campaign to raise questions four years ago about Sen. John Kerry's service in Vietnam, despite the fact that he won three Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star and a Silver Star.
    "Enough," Obama said and began a speech about the economy.

Nevertheless, the Republicans made clear they are not giving up on the issue.

"Obama stepped in it," a McCain aide told ABC News and the campaign believes it will resonate with women voters.
    The uproar began when Obama ridiculed the argument by the GOP ticket of McCain and Palin that they would be the team to change the politics of Washington, taking over a theme that had been Obama's campaign mantra.

GOP Angry Over Obama Comment

"'We're really gonna shake things up in Washington,'" Obama said, mocking McCain's claim to offer change. "That's not change. That's just calling something the same thing, something different. But you know you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

"You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change. It's still going to stink after eight years. We've had enough of the same old thing! It's time to bring about real change to Washington. And that's the choice you've got in this election," Obama said.

Told of the whole quote, Swift suggested that Obama was also calling his opponents "an old rotten fish."
    Democrats tried to dismiss the Republican accusation.

"Enough is enough. The McCain campaign's attack tonight is a pathetic attempt to play the gender card said Obama campaign senior adviser Anita Dunn.

"This phony lecture on gender sensitivity is the height of cynicism and lays bare the increasingly dishonorable campaign John McCain has chosen to run," Dunn said.

"That expression is older than my grandfather's grandfather," said Obama spokeswoman Jen Psaki. "And it means that you can dress something up but it doesn't change what it is. He was talking pretty clearly about the fact that you can't just call yourself change when you've voted with George Bush 90 percent of the time."

Hit By Ban Bus!

If he gives in and apologizes to the pig I am gonna be pissed!

Rove is using this to get women pissed off at Obama, and chances are the more stupid ones who are enamored with the fact that she has a vagina will believe Rove.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I am often embarassed by our political candidates and this is pretty high on the list. If I were one of the GOP females trotted out to make an issue of this I would kick up a huge fuss and I would be collecting MAJOR political chits for such b.s. They just sound whiny and ignorant. There are so many legitimate things they totally disagree about but it's all Rovitics AGAIN. What the heck is different about the GOP not caring how many time they blatently contradict themselves from day to day or hour to hour at the direction of Karl Rove and the parade of lobbyists running the Bush (I mean) McCain's campaign? I truly wish the American public were smart enough to see through this, but then again I have been accused of being a blind optimist.

Considering all of the smear jobs that Rove and the GOP have done over the past 8 years they're in no position to be offended about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    If he gives in and apologizes to the pig I am gonna be pissed!
    If Obama buckles and apologizes to Miss Mooseballs I'm going to lose respect for him.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Rove is using this to get women pissed off at Obama, and chances are the more stupid ones who are enamored with the fact that she has a vagina will believe Rove.
    Of course. It's all part of the strategy to keep the media on the meme of "Clinton Voters for McCorpse".

There goes Mccain's campaign making a big deal about nothing.

And they are blowing it out of proportion.

This woman better deal with ?s being asked instead of hiding like she has.

I dont' remember Hilary blaming everything on sexism or asking people to be soft on her cause she has a vagina.

Well she called herself a pitball with lipstick- that means she can take as much as she can give back but where is she. Oh yeah hiding to cram on 101 how to be a VP.

I love Obama's slam down - the McCain camp walked into that - his own daughter states that he uses this saying as well.

Meghan McCain: My Dad Says "Lipstick On A Pig"

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    ^I like her .... I know, I need help.

The lipstick thing is just so bizarre ... given the situation Obama is in with Dem woman being in play after he beat Hillary and with McCain nominating Palin as an obvious end run to win them over - it is so crazy to hear him give them obvious ammunition no matter how trivial it is.

It makes we wonder if he said it on purpose expecting a different reaction, which I doubt, but?

I wish I coulda seen video of Gibbs and Axelrods reaction when he said it.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

How Rovolting!

Some excerpts from CNN

Other politicians have also used the phrase in recent years, including Vice President Dick Cheney, Sen. Maria Cantwell of Washington state, Sen. James Inhofe of Oklahoma, Sen. Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, Rep. John Mica of Florida and Rep. Tom Tancredo of Colorado, among others.

McCain ally Mike Huckabee took Obama's side on the issue, saying he didn't think it was a swipe at Palin. "It's an old expression, and I'm going to have to cut Obama some slack on that one. I do not think he was referring to Sarah Palin; he didn't reference her. If you take the two sound bites together, it may sound like it," he said on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes."

"But I've been a guy at the podium many times, and you say something that's maybe a part of an old joke and then somebody ties it in. So, I'm going to have to cut him slack."
    'Lipstick on a pig': Attack on Palin or common line? - CNN.com

I read somewhere that this has gone from a campaign about policy to a campaign about personalities...I would have to say Obama has both while McCain is lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Speaking of lipstick on pigs, where has Cheney been hiding lately? Perhaps hunting in his new 'friend's" great white north??
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    Some excerpts from CNN

'Lipstick on a pig': Attack on Palin or common line? - CNN.com

I read somewhere that this has gone from a campaign about policy to a campaign about personalities...I would have to say Obama has both while McCain is lacking.
    McRove's very own CAMPAIGN MANAGER said this himself. He told the press. They are avoiding any talk about policies.

Their campaign has specifically and openly taken the strategy to make the presidential race about NON-issues.

War, environment, corruption, bankruptcy, health care crisis, etc. etc. etc. don't exist anymore, just Hanoi Hilton, mooseburgers, and lipstick.

BE IT KNOWN ONE AND ALL, from hence forward the term "Lipstick" shall belong solely to Sarah Palin, Governor of the Great State of Alaska and quaratined candidate for Vice President of these United States of America. Any unauthorized use of the term"Lipstick" - unless used for the title of a GOP book or from the mouth of Mister McCain or any of his Rovian henchfolk (term to include henchwomen), is heretofore deemed SEXIST, CHAUVANISTIC and an UNBRIDLED ATTACK on Mrs. Palin. Any woman (but we don't want those freaks that sleep with women, were born men and live as women or otherwise disagree with our interpreation of the Bible) is obligated to take great umbrage to the use of the heretofore mentioned term. You shall express your shock and great injury at the nearest News outlet. If you are a man, you shall, at all times, express great sorrow at the insensitivity of the use of the term "Lipstick" in any unauthorized manner - no matter how illogical the reaction may be.

Carry on now...

Sorry but all I could think of when I heard this was how I can't wait for Saturday Night Live to kick off again. I really do believe they should start their new season earlier especially when there is a Presidential election going on. They are going to have a field day with Palin and the lipstick!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information