Thread: Gays of California need your help, fundies trying to take their marriages away

Exclamation Gays of California need your help, fundies trying to take their marriages away

The LA Gay & Lesbian Center asked me to post this - they need your guys' help:

This is one of the most important e-mails I have ever sent to you—perhaps the most important. Please read on because I have alarming news.

In 56 days, 12 million Californians will go to the polls to elect a new President and weigh in on Proposition 8—the ballot measure that would eliminate our right to marry.

A number of public polls have shown that our side—the NO side—is ahead. This is much better than being behind, but the devil is in the details. An in-depth analysis of the polling reveals that fully 20% of the voters are still undecided.

We've learned from losses on other anti-gay ballot initiatives, here and in other states (Wisconsin, Colorado, etc.), that people lie to pollsters about their prejudices. There is typically a 7-10 point difference between what people tell the pollster about their views on LGBT rights and how they really vote. In other words 7-10% say they believe in equality but actually vote against us.

When you consider all of these factors, we’re in a dead heat on Prop 8.

So, we cannot rest easy—we must do everything we can to match the efforts of our opponents. Every single vote and donation counts!

That’s why I’m writing. We need you. It costs money to reach voters, and lots of it. That means we need you to give. And if you already have, we need you to dig deeper and give again. We need you to help in every way you can.

Our plan for defeating Prop 8 requires us to match anti-gay efforts dollar for dollar. We’ve been doing that. Until a few days ago, that is, when the right wingers behind Prop 8 did something really scary—they bought time to begin running their misleading and discriminatory TV ads a full week before we bought time to begin running ours.

Let me share with you why this is a concern:

Most ballot measure ads, that are not about corporate interests, begin running when voters receive their vote-by-mail ballots—this year that’s October 6. We bought air time to begin our ad run that week. Just days ago we learned our opponents bought time to begin running their ads on September 29—a full week prior to when the vote-by-mail ballots are received.

We're concerned because our analysis of undecided voters tells us that they may well make up their minds based on the first TV ads they see.

We cannot afford to let them get on the air first, especially when the race is so close!

That means we need to raise millions more to purchase an additional week of time. And, the longer we wait, the more expensive it gets to buy that time. So, we need money and we need it fast so we can get the biggest bang for our bucks.

You can help!

Go to the campaign website right now and make the largest donation you can afford.

It also would be enormously helpful if you would throw a house party to raise money from your friends and engage them. You can download a campaign house party kit that will walk you through all the steps. Also, if you’ll e-mail me, I’ll give you a referral code that will enable us to track the money you raise. (I’m going to have a thank you party for successful fund raisers).

You can also volunteer to help our field effort reach voters. In addition to television advertising, a phone call from a committed volunteer is one of the best ways to persuade undecided voters.

THANK YOU for taking some action today. We can win on November 4, but only if you and I and everyone gets involved.

Sincerely,

Lorri L. Jean
    Chief Executive Officer

Donations: http://www.lagaycenter.org/site/R?i=...2pYeDIYFeDhEVA..

House party kit: No on 8, Equality for All - Equality for All | House Party Kit..

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    Why can't fundies just leave us alone?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I ask myself that all the time Grimm. It seems to me if they were truly interested in the gays and the state of the gays souls they would simply love and accept the gays even if they don't agree with the gay lifestyle. You get way farther loving on your enemies than marginalizing them

You know, I have never understood why anyone would not want other people to marry? It's absurd. Does it affect their life (the ones who want to ban it)? Does it have some great impact on everything they do in the day!

Who cares! Everyone should be allowed to love and marry the person they are with.

And it really burns me up when I hear people like Larry Craig voting anti-gay and then he is a 'mo himself. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetopia View Post
    I ask myself that all the time Grimm. It seems to me if they were truly interested in the gays and the state of the gays souls they would simply love and accept the gays even if they don't agree with the gay lifestyle. You get way farther loving on your enemies than marginalizing them

Wait, wait didn't someone say that before about 2000 years ago? And these are the same people who swear they are doing His work.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Why can't fundies just leave us alone?
    and they asked you because their computers are broke?

us? there is no us? Your part of us is way up north.... way up north... go past the U.S. boarder and keep walking....

'us' being the worldwide homosexual agenda, deary.

And no, they didn't ask ME. They asked Americablog to forward on the message, which I did.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yes the homosexual agenda that shouldn't even be a damn issue. The government needs to get it's nose out of who wants to get married.

As Pierre Trudeau once said "The government has no business being in the bedrooms of the public."

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    ... way up north... go past the U.S. boarder and keep walking....
    U.S. boarder? Are we renting to the Chinese who hold all our debt yet? Oh, you mean border, as in the invisible line dividing Canada and the US.

Grimm, it amuses me to no end knowing that if you ever can down to my neck of the woods you'd have to traverse the Rainbow Bridge. Do the religious right realize that a bridge with a name that has alternative lifestyle type name links the US and Canada?

Honey, we built that bridge with disco light and glitterfarts. What do you think we're going to use when the Gay Rapture comes and we all march down to the states to recruit your sons and daughters?

Hit By Ban Bus!

In 56 days, 12 million Californians will go to the polls to elect a new President and weigh in on Proposition 8—the ballot measure that would eliminate our right to marry.

A number of public polls have shown that our side—the NO side—is ahead.
    I think (hope) Prop 8 is gonna fail miserably this time ... and to be honest it could be the straw that breaks the "moral majorities" back everywhere (quotes denote sarcasm).

Why Prop. 8 is a losing proposition - Los Angeles Times

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by cheetopia View Post
    U.S. boarder? Are we renting to the Chinese who hold all our debt yet? Oh, you mean border, as in the invisible line dividing Canada and the US.

Grimm, it amuses me to no end knowing that if you ever can down to my neck of the woods you'd have to traverse the Rainbow Bridge. Do the religious right realize that a bridge with a name that has alternative lifestyle type name links the US and Canada?
    I may be your version of the religious right but at least I haven't started calling people racists and homophobes just because they don't agree with me. Thank you Mr.Grimm

As for rainbow.... phfft ask anyone who knows anything about the ATL Elton John lives here know what I'm talking about? Talk it, we walk it.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    I may be your version of the religious right but at least I haven't started calling people racists and homophobes just because they don't agree with me. Thank you Mr.Grimm
    I love how you do the typical right-wing thing of twisting what I said:

I said:

IF YOU SUPPORT A GAY BASHING, RACIST, BIGOTED POLITICAL TICKET THEN YOU ARE ENDORSING GAY BASHING, RACIST AND BIGOTED POLICIES AND ARE THEREFORE, BY PROXY, A GAY BASHER, RACIST AND BIGOT YOURSELF BECAUSE THOSE POSITIONS AND POLICIES ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT A PROBLEM FOR YOU AND YOU SUPPORT SOMEONE SPEAKING IN FAVOR OF THEM.

It's not "because you disagree" with me. Was that simple enough for you? Do I need to bust out the crayons?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    IF YOU SUPPORT A GAY BASHING, RACIST, BIGOTED POLITICAL TICKET THEN YOU ARE ENDORSING GAY BASHING, RACIST AND BIGOTED POLICIES AND ARE THEREFORE, BY PROXY, A GAY BASHER, RACIST AND BIGOT YOURSELF BECAUSE THOSE POSITIONS AND POLICIES ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT A PROBLEM FOR YOU AND YOU SUPPORT SOMEONE SPEAKING IN FAVOR OF THEM.
    THANK YOU, Grimm! Why can't people understand that it's that simple?

If you choose someone with those beliefs it WILL bleed into the decisions they'll make in the future. And weren't not talking food preferences here, these are serious issues and they will influence the laws that are passed. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Thread Information