Thread: Joe Biden's comments on special needs kids called 'new low'

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Joe Biden's comments on special needs kids called 'new low'

Biden's comments on special needs kids called 'new low'

(CNN) -- Sen. John McCain's campaign rebuked Sen. Joe Biden on Tuesday, saying the Democratic vice presidential nominee had "sunk to a new low" by raising a debate over who cares more for special needs children.
    Sen. Joseph Biden embraces a supporter during a campaign stop in Columbia, Missouri, on Tuesday.

The Republican camp's sharp response came after Biden said GOP advocates for children with birth defects should support stem cell research.

During a campaign event in Columbia, Missouri, Biden did not mention his Republican counterpart by name but said, "I hear all this talk about how the Republicans are going to work in dealing with parents who have both the joy ... and the difficulty of raising a child who has a developmental disability, who were born with a birth defect."

Biden's support of stem cell research is at odds with the position taken by the Republicans' vice presidential nominee, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, whose 5-month-old son, Trig, has Down syndrome.

Palin, an evangelical Christian, opposes stem cell research because it involves the use of human embryos, but her running mate, GOP presidential nominee McCain, does support stem cell research.

"Well, guess what, folks? If you care about it, why don't you support stem cell research?" asked Biden, the running mate of Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama.

Those comments brought a sharp response.

"Barack Obama's running mate sunk to a new low today, launching an offensive debate over who cares more about special needs children," McCain-Palin spokesman Ben Porritt said. "Playing politics with this issue is disturbing and indicative of a desperate campaign."

Biden spokesman David Wade insisted that the Delaware senator's comments were not directed at Palin.

"This is a clash of policies, not a clash of personalities," Wade said. "We've heard not a dime's worth of difference between the McCain-Palin ticket and the Bush administration on medical breakthroughs that millions of parents and doctors believe could save lives and transform the quality of life for countless Americans."

During her acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention last week, Palin told parents of children with disabilities that she would be "a friend and advocate in the White House."

But the Alaska governor's support for the disabled has come under scrutiny since McCain chose Palin to be his running mate nearly two weeks ago.
    Before her run for the vice presidency, advocacy for special needs programs had not been a central part of her political campaigns or during her administration, despite her sister's autistic son.

Palin signed a bill this year increasing special needs funding but frustrated some of the bill's co-sponsors by stepping in only at the last minute.

Sonya Kerr, an Anchorage attorney specializing in disability rights, filed a lawsuit against the state and Palin, alleging that there are not enough services for kids with special needs, specifically a child with autism.

"I would say, welcome, Gov. Palin, to our reality and what we've been trying to deal with for a long time," Kerr said. "I hope that it means that there will be support on a bipartisan basis for what people with disabilities need so we are not a bargaining chip in the political process."

Biden's comments on special needs kids called 'new low' - CNN.com

"Barack Obama's running mate sunk to a new low today, launching an offensive debate over who cares more about special needs children," McCain-Palin spokesman Ben Porritt said. "Playing politics with this issue is disturbing and indicative of a desperate campaign."
    Hypocrites. Remember Terri Schiavo?

That was pretty political. Useless turds.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Only people who think what he said was a 'new low' are the republicans.. I guess wanting stem cell research to help cure birth defects, is an easy cop out to some..
    Last edited by *DIVA!; September 9th, 2008 at 07:46 PM.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I love how they're the first to screech about something being 'political' considering they've run gays, abortion and 9/11 into the ground.

Typical republicanism: project your failures onto others and accuse them of doing exactly what you do
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Did you see the RNC 9/11 video..talk about politicizing...plus they are trying to link 9/11 to Iran in the piece that was played live at the convention.

Keith Olbermann Apologizes For RNC's Graphic 9/11 Tribute (VIDEO)
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

OMG.. does anybody really think Biden was "launching an offensive debate over who cares more about special needs children"?? Seriously???

This is crap.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    "Well, guess what, folks? If you care about it, why don't you support stem cell research?" asked Biden, the running mate of Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama.

Those comments brought a sharp response.
    I'm not exactly sure why his embracing the 'special needs' people and asking a simple question is a 'new low'

We need stem cell research now. Peoples lives depend upon new research.

"Playing politics with this issue is disturbing and indicative of a desperate campaign."
    Pot meet kettle.

Or how about this.. Psalms 5:9

"Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with destruction. Their throat is an open grave; with their tongue they speak deceit."

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Quote Originally Posted by stylejunkiex View Post
    Pot meet kettle.

Or how about this.. Psalms 5:9

"Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with destruction. Their throat is an open grave; with their tongue they speak deceit."

Wow, you just summed up much of fundie-dom and the conservative party using the bible. I love it.

I fight fire with fire. Thank you, sunday school.

Is Biden going to be more effecive in the future?

So far, boring.

Seriously.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    OMG.. does anybody really think Biden was "launching an offensive debate over who cares more about special needs children"?? Seriously???

This is crap.
    Yeah, I agree. He didn't say anything offensive to me. I have to admit I was excited by Palin because I thought she would help those of us with special needs kids being faced with those challenges herself. So much for that.

I guess this is what we can expect from the McCain camp through Election Day. Every time somebody calls them out on something they're going to whine and play the victim. Now, that may work for Palin, for a little while, but it's just going to make McCain look bad. I mean, the 'heroic POW' who withstood torture can't take a few hard questions or comments from Obama, Biden or the media?

Thread Information