Thread: Video Music Awards spur promise ring debate

Default Video Music Awards spur promise ring debate

VMAs spur debate over ‘promise rings’ - Parenting & Family - MSNBC.com

After VMA host derided Jonas Brothers, Jordin Sparks defended purity vow
    By Mike Celizic
    TODAYShow.com contributor
    updated 8:27 a.m. PT, Tues., Sept. 9, 2008

A British comics jokes at the Video Music Awards about the Jonas Brothers and their purity rings have been decried as tasteless in most quarters but they have also renewed the debate over what direction high school sex education should take.

The conflict is between the abstinence-only approach to sexual education favored by the Bush White House and some faith-based communities and a comprehensive discussion of human sexuality advocated by many clinicians.

VMA host Russell Brand left no question where he stands during the program, taking a shot at the three Jonas Brothers and their vow to remain virgins until marriage. In response, singer Jordin Sparks proudly showed off her own purity ring and returned the volley: I just have one thing to say about promise rings, she announced to the audience. It's not bad to wear a promise ring, because not everybody guy or girl wants to be a slut.

Sex-education advocate Martha Kemper and abstinence activist Denny Pattyn took up the battle Tuesday with TODAY co-host Meredith Vieira.

Dueling debaters

Are we so threatened by a message of morals and values that these young men who chose to wear a ring were attacked? asked Pattyn, the founder of a program called the Silver Ring Thing, in which teens pledge to remain virgins until marriage. Whats the fear here? Why cant we have an alternate message about waiting until youre married to have sex? Why cant we have those values? What are we afraid of?

Kemper, a vice president of the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States, agreed that attacking anyone for their beliefs is wrong. But, she said, In the same way, though, I think we have to be really careful not to say, If you dont wear a purity ring, youre a slut. We cant make that either-or, either you have morals or you dont. I think we have to be careful to respect everybodys decisions.

While being careful not to criticize teens who take purity pledges, Kemper said theyre not for everyone. The problem is that in too many communities what were seeing is programs like Dennys replacing more comprehensive sexuality education, she said. These programs arent giving young people the information they need to make decisions now and in their future.

The issue is very much in the national consciousness. The hit movie Juno dealt with a 16-year-olds unplanned pregnancy. Britney Spears 17-year-old sister, Jamie Lynn Spears, got pregnant by her boyfriend and recently delivered a baby. And Bristol Palin, the 17-year-old daughter of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, sat on stage during the Republican National Convention with the 18-year-old young man who impregnated her. Sarah Palin is an advocate of abstinence-only sex ed.

Disputed findings
    Clinicians say that Bristol Palin and Spears demonstrate the dangers of not teaching kids about sex and the use of condoms to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted diseases and unwanted pregnancies. The United States has one of the highest rates of teen pregnancy in the developed world. Government statistics show that in 2006, more than 400,000 babies were born in this country to mothers aged 15-19.

Various government and independent studies show that teens who take purity pledges typically put off becoming sexually active for about 18 months longer than teens who dont. But, several studies warn, when the pledge-takers do become active, they are more likely to have unprotected sex and to engage in risky sexual practices.
    The abstinence advocates reject the findings. Those studies are flawed, Pattyn flatly told Vieira. He cited a study done by the conservative Heritage Foundation that shows that the purity pledgers are more likely to be high achievers in school and engage in fewer risky behaviors. He also said that condoms are not as effective as advertised and has said that he does not want his own teenage daughters to use them, even if they break their own purity pledges.
    Advocates of comprehensive sexual education programs say that condoms lose effectiveness if people dont know how to use them.
    The idea is that condoms need to be used consistently and correctly, and if were not telling them how to do that, they cant, Kemper said.

I just have to ask, does it include backdoor sex? Probably, in Spark's case.

What these folks don't get is no one cares. They are a marketing tool to tweens, but I don't think anyone *but* tweens believes they are real after Britney Spears.

Oh, and historically the whole abstinence thing was never meant to apply to men. It was merely economic because it insured that men would not end up raising another man's child. Men were entitled and expected to indulge when it suited them.

He also said that condoms are not as effective as advertised and has said that he does not want his own teenage daughters to use them, even if they break their own purity pledges.
    Wait, what? Am I reading this right? He doesn't want his daughters using condoms if they do have sex despite their pledge, because they aren't as effective as advertised? If they're going to have sex anyway, then what does he propose as an alternative to std prevention?

Last edited by Ravenna; September 9th, 2008 at 06:19 PM.

purity rings are just another quasi religious bullshit paradigm.

Great, so you don't want to fuck. Fabulous. So why do you need a stupid ring?

Oh right! You want to join a CLIQUE so you can LOOK DOWN ON PEOPLE who aren't part of it, even if you fuck entire football teams on the sly.

People who wear purity rings are highschool dropout retards with no personal identity, and thus are defined with what they do with their fuckbits.

Well, how illuminating for them. You're a 1 dimensional twit in an exclusive clique and all the attention is on your crotch.

... you're basically a cheerleader.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

Well, how illuminating for them. You're a 1 dimensional twit in an exclusive clique and all the attention is on your crotch.

... you're basically a cheerleader.
    Lmao...so true, great comparison...
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Who cares if they wear rings as long as they're being educated on safe sex.

At least these rings are better than the bracelets girls were wearing a few years ago. Every color symbolized something they had done with a guy. (Sex, BJ, etc..).

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I don't have any problem with people making the decision to put off sexual activity until they are more mature or perhaps married. I don't even have a problem with them wearing special rings. What I do take issue with is this sense of special entitlement these folks walk around with. I've yet to see a gal wearing one of these rings acting smug and superior about it that isn't giving the entire defense lineup of the football team blowjobs between quarters at the game.

Gold Member

I have a problem with Sparks comment. Just because you decide to have sex before marriage, does not make you a slut.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten89 View Post
    I have a problem with Sparks comment. Just because you decide to have sex before marriage, does not make you a slut.
    Oh yeah.. a bit over the top!

i am so sick of retarded fuckwits that equate virginity with purity and fetichise it like that.
    i'm sick of people making big announcements about their virginities. it's idiotic.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information