Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'We're gonna frickin' lose this thing'

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default 'We're gonna frickin' lose this thing'

We're Gonna Frickin' Lose this Thing
    Adam McKay
    Sept 8

"Stop saying that!" my wife says to me. But this is not a high school football game and I'm not a cheerleader with a bad attitude. This is an election and as things stand now, we're gonna frickin' lose this thing. Obama and McCain at best are even in the polls nationally and in a recent Gallup poll McCain is ahead by four points.

Something is not right. We have a terrific candidate and a terrific VP candidate. We're coming off the worst eight years in our country's history. Six of those eight years the Congress, White House and even the Supreme Court were controlled by the Republicans and the last two years the R's have filibustered like tantrum throwing 4-year-olds, yet we're going to elect a Republican who voted with that leadership 90% of the time and a former sportscaster who wants to teach Adam and Eve as science? That's not odd as a difference of opinion, that's logically and mathematically queer.

It reminds me of playing blackjack (a losers game). You make all the right moves, play the right hands but basically the House always wins. I know what you're going to say " But I won twelve hundred dollars last year in Atlantic City!" Of course there are victories. The odds aren't tilted crazy, but there is a 51%-49% advantage. And in the long run, the house has to win. The house will win.

So what is this house advantage the Republicans have? It's the press. There is no more fourth estate. Wait, hold on...I'm not going down some esoteric path with theories on the deregulation of the media and corporate bias and CNN versus Fox...I mean it: there is no more functioning press in this country. And without a real press the corporate and religious Republicans can lie all they want and get away with it. And that's the 51% advantage.

Think this is some opinion being wryly posited to titillate other bloggers and inspire dialogue with Tucker Carlson or Gore Vidal? Fuck that. Four corporations own all the TV channels. All of them. If they don't get ratings they get canceled or fired. All news is about sex, blame and anger, and fear. Exposing lies about amounts of money taken from lobbyists and votes cast for the agenda of the last eight years does not rate. The end.

So one side can lie and get away with it. Now let's throw in one more advantage. Voter caging and other corruption on the local level with voting. Check out the article here on HuffPost about Ohio messing with 600K voters. If only five thousand of those voters don't or can't vote that's a huge advantage in a contest that could be decided by literally dozens of votes. That takes us to about a 52 to 48% advantage.

I'm not even getting into the fact that the religious right teaches closed mindedness so it's almost impossible to gain new voters from their pool because people who disagree with them are agents of the devil. I just want to look at two inarguable realities: A) we have no more press and B) the Repubs are screwing with the voters on the local level.

I'm telling you, we're going to lose this thing. And afterwords we'll blame ourselves the same way we did with Gore and Kerry (two candidates a thousand times more qualified to lead than W Bush.) Just watch.. McCain wins by a point or two and we all walk around saying things like "Obama was too well spoken." "Biden wasn't lovable enough." "I shouldn't have split those eights." "Why did I hit on 16? Why?!"

HuffPo

Probably. The population is dumb and facile soundbites work better than the truth.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Nothing surprises me.
    That fucktard was re-elected last time so that speaks VOLUMES. And he did win in the most curious ways...

Random but funny

I've long believed peoples' prejudices and fears regarding an African-American in the White House would come leaking out. Now is the time for the rubber to meet the road, and those deep, dark prejudices are floating to the surface. Unfortunately, I'm convinced McCain will win because of it.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Yup. I guess the last 8 years just haven't been bad enough.

*shrugs*

Oh well. Let Rome burn.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    Nothing surprises me.
    That fucktard was re-elected last time so that speaks VOLUMES. And he did win in the most curious ways...

Random but funny

Geez, glad I'm not running for Miss America or whatever. My answer would be

Maybe because some people are backwards dumbasses?

Not another 4 years of the same shit. I just can't take it anymore. Can I just move to Canada and come back for the next election? It's just too much anymore.

well, then you wouldn't win, would you??

ETA - that was in response to hotncmom's pageant reply....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I'm pretty sure 'Murrica is too ass-backwards for that to happen anyway. People have somehow gotten even more stupid in the last 20 years.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Don't give up hope! I volunteered for Senator Jim Webbs campaign last year and he was also predicted by the polls and conventional wisdom to lose by a wide margin. Polls were showing he was going to get beaten badly by a popular powerful Republican who'd been in office forever and was in line to run for President the day of the election

Well, he won. Jim Webb kicked a powerful Republican's ass in a heavily Republican state. It could happen again.

I don't put much stock in polls and we haven't seen the debates yet.

The Republican's want people to get discouraged.That's part of their evil plan.

I'm just acknowledging the real possibility that McCorpse could get in. Bush did twice.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

It's possible.

Monkey might fly out of your butt too.

^^ I'm not giving up hope, Chee. (Not about the monkey/ass thing but about the election). LOL

eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information