Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama refers to his Muslim faith

Hit By Ban Bus!

Question Barack Obama refers to his Muslim faith

In stunning slip on national TV, Obama refers to "my muslim faith"
    By Israel Insider staff
    September 7, 2008

In one of the most astonishing gaffes in American political history, in a national televised interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulus, Democratic presidential candidate Barack Hussein Obama referred to "my muslim faith," confirming what researchers and political opponents have been claiming.

While Stephanopoulus several seconds later tried to correct him, saying "Christian faith," it was too late. The damage was done. Obama clearly did not mean his Christian faith, since he was admitting that "John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith." The term "Christian faith" would not make sense in that context.

Here is the transcript:

STEPHANOPOULOS: You mention your Christian faith. Yesterday you took off after the Republicans for suggesting you have Muslim connections. Just a few minutes ago, Rick Davis, John McCain's campaign manager, said they've never done that. This is a false and cynical attempt to play victim.

OBAMA: You know what? I mean, these guys love to throw a rock and hide their hand. The...

STEPHANOPOULOS: The McCain campaign has never suggested you have Muslim connections.

OBAMA: No, no, no. But the -- I don't think that when you look at what is being promulgated on Fox News, let's say, and Republican commentators who are closely allied to these folks--

STEPHANOPOULOS: But John McCain said that's wrong.

OBAMA: Now, well, look. Listen. You and I both know that the minute that Governor Palin was forced to talk about her daughter, I immediately said that's off limits. And--

STEPHANOPOULOS: But John McCain said the same thing about questioning your faith.

OBAMA: And what was the first thing the McCain?s campaign went out and did? They said, look, these liberal blogs that support Obama are out there attacking Governor Palin.

Let's not play games. What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come--

STEPHANOPOULOS: Christian faith.

OBAMA: -- my Christian faith. Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested--

STEPHANOPOULOS: Has connections, right.

OBAMA: -- that I'm a Muslim. And I think that his campaign's upper echelons have not, either.

What I think is fair to say is that, coming out of the Republican camp, there have been efforts to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith -- something which I find deeply offensive, and that has been going on for a pretty long time.
    What is "fair to say", in fact, is that an off-balance Obama, in an unguarded moment, said three words that undid all of the carefully crafted efforts by his campaign to conceal his muslim family, his muslim childhood, and his adult muslim connections.

Because if Obama were not a Muslim, he could not possibly have said "My Muslim Faith" and indeed, "my Christian faith" would make no sense in that context. He might have said "accusations that I am a muslim" or "claims that I have muslim connections"

Even Obama's attempt at recovery -- "what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested ... that I'm a Muslim" is in no way equivalent to, or a substitute for, "John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith."

Common sense dictates: Obama could never have said "my muslim faith" -- using the first person possessive -- unless it was an integral part of his identity.

It confirms, at the very least, the accusations, and not just from Republicans -- that "perhaps I'm not who [sic] I say I am when it comes to my faith." Yes, it would seem to be a concealment that has "been going on for a pretty long time, indeed, most of a lifetime of hiding three tell-tale words that could not have been spoken by anyone but a believer: "my Muslim faith."

israelinsider: politics: In stunning slip on national TV, Obama refers to "my muslim faith"
    Last edited by Incognito; September 7th, 2008 at 08:41 PM.

I believe him when he says he is christian. However, it doesn't matter to me if he is muslim.

As an atheist, I don't care about any candidate's religion anyway.

Elite Member

Well, ride in McCain and Palin. It's crap like this that will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory for the democrats. Look, I think everyone here knows he was not my first choice, but I have spent the last 2 weeks defending BO (in an out of body experience for me) against exactly this kind of crap. Barack Hussein Obama the Muslim. This was pretty much one of my major concerns about him as the candidate, not that it's true, that he was open to this crap in 'the heartland' of America. This shit will cripple the ticket in middle America. Good luck in the square states in the middle with the bible thumpers who love Palin. Hmm.... Australia to emmigrate to perhaps?

A*O

Having a Muslim in the White House might solve an awful lot of the world's current problems. Is it mandatory for the POTUS to be a card-carrying Christian BTW?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

The sick sad thing is while the Right Wingers are painting Barack as a card carrying Muslim because he lived in Indonesia and went to a religious school they also fail to mention it was a Catholic school replete with nuns and guilt and mass.

If you follow the Republican logic that Obama is Muslim because his stepfather was and he lived in Indonesia what stops us from making a similar leap of conclusion about McCain or Palin? After all he did spend all those years in Vietnam, he could be a Taoist or Buddhist. What about Palin? She could be worshiping a blubber god or seal, she's from Alaska where they have all those Godless Inuits.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Well, ride in McCain and Palin. It's crap like this that will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory for the democrats. Look, I think everyone here knows he was not my first choice, but I have spent the last 2 weeks defending BO (in an out of body experience for me) against exactly this kind of crap. Barack Hussein Obama the Muslim. This was pretty much one of my major concerns about him as the candidate, not that it's true, that he was open to this crap in 'the heartland' of America. This shit will cripple the ticket in middle America. Good luck in the square states in the middle with the bible thumpers who love Palin. Hmm.... Australia to emmigrate to perhaps?
    See, that's just it. Everyone who have paid any attention to the scandal with Wright, knows this man isn't Muslim. Anyone who knows anything, knows that if her was Muslim, his wife, nor kids could wear the things that they have worn.
    However, it sounded like he was trying to say that John McCain himself have never bought up Muslim being my faith. No matter how bad this country has been, I will never think or even talk about immigrating to another country. To the people who are going to vote for him anyway it doesn't matter, to Independents it doesn't matter, and to those republicans who are considering him it doesn't matter! Why, because we know the truth...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Having a Muslim in the White House might solve an awful lot of the world's current problems. Is it mandatory for the POTUS to be a card-carrying Christian BTW?
    Apparently, yes, even though there's supposed to be a separation of church and state.

You know, I don't care if he's muslim, it really shouldn't matter, but I don't get how what he said indicates he definitively is a muslim. When you read the whole thing, it just sounds like a slip and not a big deal.

who the fuck wrote that article? Jesus, what a piece of paranoid crap. The topic was muslim connections and faith and he got 2 words backwards.

see, it's stupid shit like this that retards care about
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Apparently, yes, even though there's supposed to be a separation of church and state.

You know, I don't care if he's muslim, it really shouldn't matter, but I don't get how what he said indicates he definitively is a muslim. When you read the whole thing, it just sounds like a slip and not a big deal.
    But, it matters to people with narrow minded thinking, who don't like him for some other reason..this gives them a way to scapegoat...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    But, it matters to people with narrow minded thinking, who don't like him for some other reason..this gives them a way to scapegoat...
    Oh, I know that. Frustrates the heck out of me. I just think it's funny that he makes a slip and suddenly he's admitting to the deep, dark secret of his muslim faith. c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    who the fuck wrote that article? Jesus, what a piece of paranoid crap. The topic was muslim connections and faith and he got 2 words backwards.

see, it's stupid shit like this that retards care about
    I have to agree. No major news has this. Highly suspect.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Incognito, what do you have against Muslims? Everything you post is so anti-Muslim that its offensive. Remember this thread where you said you didn't appreciate Muslims because you were a Jew? I don't see anyone else posting anti-Muslim stuff all over the board.

Malik Obama confirms his half-brother Barack Obama grew up a Muslim

This clearly was a slip on his part that meant nothing, he was talking in the context of his faith and messed up because he was talking about how everyone questions his faith and calls him a Muslim. It means nothing. And even if he WAS Muslim, man you would make it out like he was some card-carrying terrorist. Its shit like this that makes me so frustrated in my country sometimes.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    I believe him when he says he is christian. However, it doesn't matter to me if he is muslim.

As an atheist, I don't care about any candidate's religion anyway.
    agree.

But...But...But...But all muslims are terrorists that want to take over America....aren't they.

Please think of the children.

What frustrates me is, even if he were Muslim to begin with...

WHO FUCKING CARES?!

Is that a crime in America? Before 9/11, the media and the public wouldn't even fucking care. Of course its okay to assume and confuse extremists Islamic terrorists with the real Islam religion that is about peace, but not to the extremist Christians who preach about hate (homosexuality is a sin, etc) is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    See, that's the funny thing! If the world sees that America has elected a Muslim candidate, they will see progression and may feel more welcome to the idea of speaking to an American leader in a more civilized fashion. Of course, ironically, Obama wanting to speak to our "enemies" is a BAD thing. I don't fucking get it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information