Thread: Democratic Congressman plays the Nazi card

Default Democratic Congressman plays the Nazi card

The Obama camp has raised the eyebrows of the media and scorn of the GOP by supporting the comments uttered by Rep. Robert Wexler, D-Fla., in which he alleges Sarah Palin is a "Nazi sympathizer."

"John McCain's decision to select a vice presidential running mate that endorsed Pat Buchanan for president in 2000 is a direct affront to all Jewish Americans," Mr. Wexler said.

"It is frightening that John McCain would select someone one heartbeat away from the presidency who supported a man who embodies vitriolic anti-Israel sentiments."

Mr. Wexler's words, while perceived by critics and others as rash and over the top, are seen as indicative of his established personality as a person known to speak off the cuff.

He is known to have a historic disagreement with Mr. Buchanan.

As a presidential candidate, Mr. Buchanan carried a number of his Florida constituents in the 2000 election depriving Al Gore the White House, and was an early supporter of Mr. Obama in a district that heavily favored Hillary Clinton.

But the Obama campaign added fuel to the political fire when a spokesman defended Mr. Wexler and reiterated the charge Mr. Buchanan is a Nazi sympathizer.

"Palin was a supporter of Pat Buchanan, a right-winger or as many Jews call him: a Nazi sympathizer," Obama spokesman Mark Bubriski said in an e-mailed statement to the Miami Herald.

Mr. Buchanan, appearing on MSNBC, called the allegation ridiculous and argued Democrats were trying to tie Mrs. Palin to him; a move he argued could backfire.

"If they do that, you end the moratorium on Rev. Jeremiah Wright, because Barack Obama's pastor and spiritual advisor for 15 years did run an anti-Semitic church, does run an anti-white church and has engaged in racist rants," Mr. Buchanan said on the "Morning Joe" show.

"And we were told that, 'look, this is off the table,' those sort of things. And them to have them come up and, come after me, you open up somebody's associations. You open those up. You open up all of yours."

Conservatives also argued that the Obama campaign's recently developed harsh tone is as a radical departure from the politics of hope and a sign Mrs. Palin poses a threat in November.

"They are so desperate they will stop at nothing. They realize John McCain hit a home run with his choice," said conservative activist Janet Folger.

Ms. Folger argued the energy created by Mrs. Palin has stunned Democrats, and they are scrambling to respond to the surprise pick.

Apart from being bombastic, facts suggest Mr. Wexler's allegations are unfounded.

Mr. Wexler first charged Mrs. Palin with endorsing Mr. Buchanan when she was mayor of Wasilla. The fact is Mrs. Palin was at a Buchanan fundraiser, but she did not contribute to his campaign.

And while she did wear a Buchanan button, Mrs. Palin would later write the local paper saying it was customary for her to wear the button of any presidential candidate visiting the town. She did not even support Mr. Buchanan in 2000.

Mr. Wexler then alleged Mr. Buchanan "is a Nazi sympathizer with a uniquely atrocious record on Israel, even going as far as to denounce bringing former Nazi soldiers to justice ... "

Mr. Buchanan has defended six men accused of being Nazi war criminals.

Frank Walus of Chicago and Ivan Stebelsky of Denver were accused of being Nazi war criminals and proven innocent.

Mr. Buchanan, along with the Washington Post, opposed the deportation of Karl Linnas to the Soviet Union. Such a deportation would result in a death sentence.

He also defended Dr. Arthur Rudolph, the German scientist who helped put Neil Armstrong on the moon. Dr. Randolph was cleared of wrongdoing.

And Mr. Buchanan famously defended John Demjanjuk, the man accused of being "Ivan the Terrible." Mr. Buchanan's columns delayed Mr. Demjanjuk's execution, and he was exonerated when Moscow released documents proving "Ivan" was another man.

The Bulletin - Philadelphia's Family Newspaper - Obama Camp Plays The Nazi Card

Gov. Sarah Palin: Lousy mom, trashy family and a Nazi. And you can read it all in The New York Times....

But remember: Don’t listen to talk radio. That’s hate speech.

The AP cleared this up like years ago anyway:
    AP story from August 7, 1999 -- one month after the Buchanan trip to Wasilla -- states that joining state sen. Mike Miller of Fairbanks on the Forbes campaign's Alaska "leadership committee will be Wasilla Mayor Sarah Palin, and former state GOP chairman Pete Hallgren, who will serve as co-chairs."
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Democratic Congressman Plays the Nazi Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Obama camp has raised the eyebrows of the media and scorn of the GOP by supporting the comments uttered by Rep. Robert Wexler, D-Fla., in which he alleges Sarah Palin is a "Nazi sympathizer."

"John McCain's decision to select a vice presidential running mate that endorsed Pat Buchanan for president in 2000 is a direct affront to all Jewish Americans," Mr. Wexler said.

"It is frightening that John McCain would select someone one heartbeat away from the presidency who supported a man who embodies vitriolic anti-Israel sentiments."

Mr. Wexler's words, while perceived by critics and others as rash and over the top, are seen as indicative of his established personality as a person known to speak off the cuff.

He is known to have a historic disagreement with Mr. Buchanan.

As a presidential candidate, Mr. Buchanan carried a number of his Florida constituents in the 2000 election depriving Al Gore the White House, and was an early supporter of Mr. Obama in a district that heavily favored Hillary Clinton.

But the Obama campaign added fuel to the political fire when a spokesman defended Mr. Wexler and reiterated the charge Mr. Buchanan is a Nazi sympathizer.

"Palin was a supporter of Pat Buchanan, a right-winger or as many Jews call him: a Nazi sympathizer," Obama spokesman Mark Bubriski said in an e-mailed statement to the Miami Herald.

....so how is that wrong?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

She endorsed Steve Forbes, Not Buchanan....

"Obama advisers and surrogates have linked Palin to conservative former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan. An Associated Press story from Alaska, dated July 17, 1999, stated that Palin, then the mayor of the small town of Wasilla, was wearing a Buchanan button during a Buchanan visit to Alaska.

But in a letter to the Anchorage Daily News a week later, Palin wrote: "When presidential candidates visit our community, I am always happy to meet them. I'll even put on their button when handed one as a polite gesture of respect. ... The article may have left your readers with the perception that I am endorsing this candidate, as opposed to welcoming his visit to Wasilla."

A week after that, the Associated Press reported that Palin would serve as a co-chair of Forbes' campaign.

McCain spokesman Michael Goldfarb disputed Buchanan's claim, saying Palin supported Forbes in 1996 as well.

The Miami Herald this week quoted an e-mail from Obama Florida spokesman Mark Bubriski that stated: "Palin was a supporter of Pat Buchanan, a right-winger or as many Jews call him: a Nazi sympathizer."
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

She could still put most of this to rest if she would do an interview or three.

^^Exactly. She needs to stop hiding.

And I find it strange that Republicans can try to link Obama to Muslim terrorists and then get offended when the shoe is on the other foot.

Thread Information