Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart tells McCain/Palin to stop using song

Default Heart tells McCain/Palin to stop using song

Exclusive: Heart's Nancy Wilson responds to McCain campaign's use of 'Barracuda' at Republican convention

Sep 5, 2008, 01:44 AM | by Whitney Pastorek

Thursday afternoon, Heart e-mailed out a statement regarding vice-presidential candidate Sarah "Barracuda" Palin's use of their similarly monikered song at the Republican National Convention: "The Republican campaign did not ask for permission to use the song, nor would they have been granted that permission," it read. "We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We hope our wishes will be honored."

But after McCain finished his speech accepting the GOP's presidential nomination tonight, Palin joined him on stage, and the song was used again: Heart's "Barracuda" played as balloons fell. With that elephant in the room, Heart's Nancy Wilson felt compelled to personally respond. "I think it's completely unfair to be so misrepresented," she said in a phone call to EW.com after the speech. "I feel completely f---ed over." She and sister Ann Wilson then e-mailed the following exclusive statement:

"Sarah Palin's views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song 'Barracuda' no longer be used to promote her image. The song 'Barracuda' was written in the late 70s as a scathing rant against the soulless, corporate nature of the music business, particularly for women. (The 'barracuda' represented the business.) While Heart did not and would not authorize the use of their song at the RNC, there's irony in Republican strategists' choice to make use of it there."
    The Heart-McCain incident isn't the only example of music-related controversy on this year's presidential campaign trail. Click here to read Chris Willman's report about Barack Obama's eyebrow-raising use of Brooks & Dunn's "Only in America" after his nomination-acceptance address last week.

Exclusive: Heart's Nancy Wilson responds to McCain campaign's use of 'Barracuda' at Republican convention | Current Affairs, Music, Music Biz | Hollywood Insider | EW.com
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I was wondering about that since they're from Seattle, which is fiercely Democratic.

Good. They need to stop using it.... it's one of my favorite songs, and they ruined it. -_-

"I think it's completely unfair to be so misrepresented," she said in a phone call to EW.com after the speech. "I feel completely f---ed over."

HAHA. As does the rest of the country!

Yay for Heart!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Didn't the same thing happen to Bruce Springsteen?

I like it It's like ...stop fucking using my song.

Yes.

"Born In The USA" has been widely misinterpreted and misused – the strident, anthemic chorus overwhelms the verses, which contain the poignant story of a worn-out Vietnam veteran who can't get a break, despite living in the land of opportunity. Ex-US president Ronald Reagan attempted to co-opt the song – and Springsteen's support – for his '84 re-election campaign, an act that Springsteen was at pains to distance himself from. And when Republican White House contender Bob Dole used "Born In The USA" on his campaign trail in 1996, Springsteen wrote to his local newspaper to make clear that he was not backing the Republican ticket."
    Sold on Song - Song Library - Born in the USA
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I heard it playing after the speeches, I KNEW Heart had nothing to do with it, and expected them to be majorly pissed.

Default Heart pissed at GOP for using their music

Lesson For GOP: Don’t Cross This Heart

The GOP is in some serious hot water today … with the ladies from Heart. Ann and Nancy Wilson were just sitting at home on Wednesday night trying to watch the Republican convention when they heard their song “Barracuda” playing while Sarah Palin (nickamed Sarah Barracuda in high school) was introduced. On the one hand, it all seems harmless enough, and besides, you can pretty much guarantee that when you say “Heart” to John McCain he starts to fear for his own, he’s not thinking of 70’s rock. But in a statement released on Thursday, the Wilsons made the GOP try to understand, (try to understand, try try try to understand) where they’re coming from: “The Republican campaign did not ask for permission to use the song, nor would they have been granted that permission. We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We hope our wishes will be honored.”
    Yet, last night after John McCain spoke, the song was played yet again, resulting in a follow up statement, this time a bit more angry (hence Nancy Wilson telling EW: “I feel completely fucked over.”) This time, the statement reads:
    “Sarah Palin’s views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song ‘Barracuda’ no longer be used to promote her image. The song ‘Barracuda’ was written in the late 70s as a scathing rant against the soulless, corporate nature of the music business, particularly for women. (The ‘barracuda’ represented the business.) While Heart did not and would not authorize the use of their song at the RNC, there’s irony in Republican strategists’ choice to make use of it there.”
    Republicans seem to have a history of misinterpreting song lyrics — back in the 1980s, Ronald Reagan often used Bruce Springsteen’s song “Born in the U.S.A.” at events despite the song’s lyrics being about the harsh effects of Vietnam on young Americans.
    We suggest the GOP assign someone from its party to start reading album liner notes.

Lesson For GOP: Don’t Cross This Heart | Latest Gossip, Celebrity News and Paparazzi Photos | Scandalist
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

The list of musicians telling McCain to stop using their songs just keeps growing.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Ann you should be lucky anyone sings your songs.

btw have you heard yourself lately? Carrie Underwood sang you under the table.. pa cha!

Nobody is lucky when the rethuglicans co-opt creative arts for their own twisted use
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Nobody is lucky when the rethuglicans co-opt creative arts for their own twisted use
    rethuglicans? nah now thats not funny.. to comic book'ish. I expected better from the adjective master Canadian.

I didn't invent it. I prefer Repukes.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Too bad they can't do a thing about it. If ASCAP fees are paid (the XCel Center has ASCAP fee based music) then the Wilson sisters can bitch all they want to no avail.

Oh, and a Chicago radio station today said this report is false, that they're thrilled the music is being used. Its currently one of the hottest downloads on iTunes.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information