Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton hitting the campaign trail to kick Sarah Palin's ass

Thumbs up Hillary Clinton hitting the campaign trail to kick Sarah Palin's ass

McCain’s Pick May Foster Bigger Campaign Role for Clinton

By PATRICK HEALY
    Published: August 31, 2008

Mrs. Clinton’s friends said she was galled that Ms. Palin might try to capitalize on a movement that Mrs. Clinton, of New York, built among women in the primaries. And Democrats used strong words on Sunday to rebut the notion: Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts said that women would not be “seduced” by the Republican ticket, and Guy Cecil, the former political director of Mrs. Clinton’s campaign, said it was “insulting” for Republicans to compare Ms. Palin to Mrs. Clinton.

Nevertheless, Clinton advisers said they expected that a bloc of her female supporters would give Mr. McCain a second look because of Ms. Palin, and that Mrs. Clinton was probably Mr. Obama’s best weapon in response. But asked if the Palin pick would lead to a new political marriage between Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton, a senior Clinton adviser, Ann Lewis, said: “Not a political marriage. She is not on the ticket. Senator Obama chose Joe Biden as his running mate. Hillary will do what she can to help.”

Mrs. Clinton’s advisers said they expected that in light of the Palin selection, she would focus her efforts especially on working women — middle- and working-class, married and single — in swing states where she ran strong, like Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Mr. Obama’s advisers sharply disputed the argument that Clinton supporters might be drawn to Ms. Palin on the basis of sex, given that Ms. Palin opposes abortion rights and other commonly held positions for Democrats. But Clinton advisers presented a more nuanced view, saying that some of her supporters — they could not specify how many — could be open to the McCain-Palin ticket depending on how Ms. Palin performed and whether she appeared to be a forceful, sincere advocate for the concerns of working women, their families and for policies that would help them.

“With Palin, there is a core group of Hillary supporters who are not available to this ticket or any Republican,” Ms. Lewis said. “Supreme Court appointments is the bottom line. There is a second group who are now giving McCain-Palin a second look, and it depends on how Palin performs. These voters see Hillary as someone who fought and rose to challenges with persistence, and who spoke in real ways to their lives.

“We don’t know yet how Sarah Palin will perform,” Ms. Lewis added, “and if she lets these voters down, gender is no longer an asset, and it could backfire on Republicans.”

Mr. Cecil said he believed that the McCain-Palin ticket might initially intrigue some Clinton supporters, but that they would ultimately choose Mr. Obama.
    “It is insulting to compare Hillary’s lifetime of service and her commitment to progressive causes with that of a novice, right-wing governor,” Mr. Cecil said.

Mrs. Clinton was unavailable Sunday for an interview, her aides said.
    Mr. Cecil said the Palin pick would most likely increase the number of Mrs. Clinton’s appearances on the campaign trail, on television and at fund-raisers on behalf of the Democratic ticket. He added that Mrs. Clinton would probably spend “a good deal of time in battleground states, particularly in the suburbs where the race is often won and lost.”

Obama advisers said they had not settled on the number of days that Mrs. Clinton would campaign for the ticket. She has at least one event next week, they said, adding that all indications from the Clinton camp — with which, before the Democrats’ convention last week, post-primary relations were still bumpy — were helpful and positive.

“She has been extraordinarily generous and cooperative,” Mr. Obama’s chief strategist, David Axelrod, said of Mrs. Clinton. “Gender politics aside, everything that Hillary has fought for is on the ballot. Palin may add some gender diversity to their ticket, but she doesn’t add any philosophical diversity. Hillary is a huge asset for us, and we want her out there, though we would have wanted her out there regardless of Palin.”

McCain’s Pick May Foster Bigger Campaign Role for Clinton - NYTimes.com

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

Hmm. One thing I've thought incredibly ironic about this campaign is the Repugs' howl of sexism re Palin's treatment by the media. They ought to know, they wrote the book about smear campaigns and sexist treatment re the Clintons and with their anti-women social policies.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Great! Thanks Sarah.. I thought we had gotten rid of Hillary.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Why would you want to get rid of Hillary?

I think Clinton is gonna hit this woman hard...she's the only one that really can. If Biden or Obama do it, they're gonna play the sexism card. Hillary can grab this woman by her ovaries and get away with it because she's a woman. I hope she light's the bitch up!
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."-Einstein

Palin is no match for good ole Southern Clinton politics. Let the games begin!

They cant use sexism as a weapon if Hillary goes after her, and Hillary is probably pissssssssssssssed at this bitch for calling her 'whiny'
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^I agree. Hillary is the only one that can tear into Palin the way Obama and Biden can't. Especially since McCain is putting Palin up as the poor-woman's version of Hillary.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I predict Hillary will make verbal mincemeat out of her with one claw tied behind her back.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodancer View Post
    Why would you want to get rid of Hillary?

I cannot stand either Hillary or Bill! I'm happy they gave their support to Obama because I truly do think that helped for some of the Hillary supporters who were all pissed off. But I do not wish to see either of them if I don't have to.

IF Hil wants to tear this other bitch a new one, let her
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'm sick of Hillary! *throws tantrum*

Aside from the fact that it would mean Hillary was in the running, It would be way more entertaining if it was actually Hillary's battle to fight. I.E. If she was VP candidate as well.
    I feel like she's just trying to stay in the spotlight.. but then again, I'm negatively biased.

That's right Hillary, kick 'em where it hurts!!

and Guy Cecil, the former political director of Mrs. Clinton’s campaign, said it was “insulting” for Republicans to compare Ms. Palin to Mrs. Clinton.
    Hey, Palin is married too

Nevertheless, Clinton advisers said they expected that a bloc of her female supporters would give Mr. McCain a second look because of Ms. Palin, and that Mrs. Clinton was probably Mr. Obama’s best weapon in response
    That begs the question -- would McCain have chosen Palin when it had been announced that Obama chose Hillary as his VP?

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    I'm sick of Hillary! *throws tantrum*

Aside from the fact that it would mean Hillary was in the running, It would be way more entertaining if it was actually Hillary's battle to fight. I.E. If she was VP candidate as well.
    I feel like she's just trying to stay in the spotlight.. but then again, I'm negatively biased.
    Ya think? Seriously, did you watch Bill's speech at the DNC? Bill Clinton is very persuasive and he does connect with the "regular folk" that people like Sara Palin think they have cornered the market on.

Do not discount the power of Bill Clinton. He can do very good things for the party. The last two nominees failed to use him and look where it go them.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    IF Hil wants to tear this other bitch a new one, let her
    All of a sudden the biggest Hillary bashers are the ones who want her to do Obama's dirty work. How ironic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information