Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Run down of John McCain's snoozefest of a speech

Red face Run down of John McCain's snoozefest of a speech

Start at the bottom and work your way up

TNR sums it up well:

It's not over yet but this is a very underwhelming speech. Familiar points explained in pedestrian terms. No overarching themes--right now it's sounding like a State of the Union laundry list. Even the crowd in the hall isn't jazzed. This is the sort of reception Tom Ridge got.

Joe @ 11:05 PM: That was a speech only Liz Sidoti and Ron Fournier could love. He's just bad.

Joe @ 11:02 PM: John McCain is amazingly uninspiring. I can't imagine listening to these speeches for the next four years. Seriously.

Joe @ 11:00 PM: What does this line mean?: "I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else's." Did he really not love his country before that? Sure sounds that way. Most Americans I know love their country. A lot. Even without being a prisoner in someone else's.

John @ 10:56 PM: Yes, John McCain was a prisoner of war. He was tortured. That was 40 years ago. Today, people are worried about their jobs, not about Vietnam. What is John McCain going to do to fix the economy today? We have no idea.

Joe @ 10:52 PM: "I hate war" is a great line. But, in January of 2002, McCain was screaming "Next up, Baghdad." We never did finish that first war in Afghanistan, which is one word and war never mentioned by McCain. We're in a war, and the man who hates war never mentions it.

Joe @ 10:46 PM: I do chuckle when I hear McCain talk about technology...any kind of technology. Someone obviously wrote this speech for him, but it sounds like he really doesn't know what he's talking about. He just knows he's supposed to say it. And, does he know that a Republican was president for the past eight years. Just because he doesn't say Bush's name, doesn't mean Bush hasn't run the country.

Rob @ 10:43: From a Republican friend: The old McCain is gone - who is this guy?

Rob @ 10:40: Fear fear fear, it's the same playbook as 2004. Painting a future with Barack Obama as something to fear is Rove in full effect.

Rob @ 10:39 Lost their trust? ABC just this week showed Tom Delay drinking it up, cigar and all, with fat cats. You can't gain back trust that way.

Joe @ 10:39 PM: John McCain gets his health insurance through the Senate. He gets government funded health care. When he bitches that "bureaucrats" will stand before you and your doctor, it shows how out of touch he is. Insurance company bureaucrats do that to Americans every single day. Not to Senators, but to real people. Every day.

John @ 10:36 PM: Just read the rest of the speech, Joe got a copy. There is no substance at all in this speech, zero. You'll be surprised to hear that McCain will go on at length about his time as a POW - because, remember, he doesn't use it for political purposes, ever. But as for substance, there is none. NONE. Wow. This is kind of weird. Okay he just talked about activists judges and hinted at abortion. This is right-wing jingoism. WHERE IS THE SUBSTANCE? He thinks he's Ronald Reagan. He's no Ronald Reagan. Hell, Palin's speech was better than this. Hey, tax cuts - now there's an original idea.

Joe @ 10:33 PM: Wow. I know this isn't a news flash, but McCain is boring -- and a bad speaker. Now, he's only talking about himself. But, this speech is just one cliche after another. There is NO substance whatsoever.

John @ 10:31 PM: I didn't fight, however, the banks. I helped them and got into a lot of trouble as a result.

John @ 10:29 PM: Yeah, he doesn't listen to special interests, that's he dumped Lieberman and Ridge as his VPs when the religious right went nuts last week.

Rob @ 10:27 PM: It's 10:27 and we're still hearing only about more personal biography. There has not yet been one thing offered up to the American people as a solution to our nation's problems. And regarding the protesters, if they can't handle the security at their own convention... how can we expect them to handle security in Washington?

John @ 10:26 PM: She worked with her nose?

John @ 10:24 PM: Hmmm 20 minutes in and no mention of the economy. Yikes, seems there are multiple protesters inside. How did they get floor passes? Looks like the protesters may have rattled McCain. Time will tell.

Joe @ 10:18 PM: First, he manages to mention Bush without saying his name. More importantly, the horrible green back drop is back. How did they swing that one?

John @ 10:12 PM: Three times they mentioned that he was a POW. In case you didn't know.

Joe @ 10:10 PM: That 1992 Clinton slogan, "It's the economy, stupid" is being written for the GOP in 2008, "It's the economy that the Republicans are stupid about." Seriously, NO ONE is really talking about the economy.

John @ 10:06 PM: Funny, I thought John McCain said he didn't really love his country until he was 31 years old. Oops, they left out his divorce. Never mind.

Joe @ 9:59 PM: This deserves its own post later, but in case you missed it earlier, the GOP ran actual footage of the 9/11 attacks, which the Boston Globe calls "The death of a taboo":

The September 11 precedent was one of the few surviving campaign-season taboos. It is survived by direct comparisons of one's opponents to Hitler.

Rob @ 9:56 PM: I think America would like to believe Cindy is a genuine person, but all they need to know about the real Cindy is right here, back in 1999:

What McEachern and the others didn't know was that, far from being a simple, honest admission designed to clear her conscience and help other addicts, Cindy McCain's storytelling had been orchestrated by Jay Smith, then John McCain's Washington campaign media advisor. And it was intended to divert attention from a different story, a story that was getting quite messy.

Sound familiar?

Joe @ 9:47 PM: Cindy, Cindy, Cindy. She knows her husband is honorable, because, why would she think otherwise. It's the other Mrs. McCain who learned he wasn't. I am in no position to comment on Cindy's attire (although I suspect Princess Sparkle Pony will.)

Rob @ 9:40 PM: Republicans have stood up here all night telling us that they are better to protect America. Should something happen to John McCain, can anyone tell me that Sarah Palin is REALLY ready to sit across the table from Vladimir Putin? Of all the people he's met in his life this is the person he's going to trust with the nation's security? No, Palin was a purely political decision - picked to appease the Religious Right. In the one decision we've had to judge John McCain since he became the nominee, he's not made a decision to protect the country, he made a rash political decision. That's not a man who's putting his country first, or a man who will keep America safe.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I didn't get a lot of things about his speech. Like his long tribute to his wife. WTF? Cindy ain't running for office.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I didn't get a lot of things about his speech. Like his long tribute to his wife. WTF? Cindy ain't running for office.
    And he never even mentioned wife #1.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Red face

Here's a different recap:
    Live Blogging the RNC…

OK. Cracking knuckles, shaking out arms, bouncing on balls of feet. Breathing in through the nose….out through the mouth.
    I’m goin’ in…

Oh…it’s Cindy. John showers her with unconditional love and support. You can trust him. (Trust her). And heeeere’s Sarah! She’s wearing some kind of low cut silky thing under her blazer. What’s with that? Moose hunting pistol packing mother of 5…. here we go again.

Invocation of Ronald Reagan. Her father’s plain was shot down, but he was quiet about that and never talks about it for self gain. Just like her husband John…. HUH?

Intro of her kids in the military. More handmade premade signs they handed out to people.

She keeps talking about her father. Hard scrabble roots. American Dream. Becoming a mother….something changed in her. OK, I’m going to go check my dinner.

Back. Orphans. Clearing debris of war. Rwanda. Somebody she met in somewhere in Africa. She’s there in the audience.

Talking about importance of national leadership. (Her emphasis). (Sarah?)

John speaks the truth always no matter what the cost. (Pepto Bismol. Still on the desk from last night. Ahhhhh.) Chants of John - Ma - Cain.

Telepromter issues. She’s done. Man…how does she walk in those shoes??
    Endless recording of Johnny B. Goode. Bathroom break.

Back. Lots of audience shots. There’s Bristol with baby. Lots of cowboy hats and red white & blue. The ginormous flag is back. Kool & the Gang. Now Sarah has the baby. A Dems for McCain sign. I’m glad I know they hand them out at the door. Red inflatable pig? What is that? Pork? Can’t be. Maybe at an Alaskan convention, though.

Someone held up a Palin Power sign and did a fist pump, and the sign fell on his head. Oh God. It’s a Drill Baby Drill sign someone wrote with a sharpie on a flattened cardboard box. This is surreal. I may not make it.

John McCain slideshow! P.O.W…..less than 10 seconds in. “Some call him names that can’t be repeated?” Huh? His mother just called him a “Mama’s boy.” I’m confused.

Father ordered carpet bombing of Hanoi while his son was imprisoned there, because for the McCains it was always country first. Airplanes. Fires. 134 men burned to death. Wounds not addressed. Torture, filthy prison, violently ill, survived because of faith. I don’t like this. Dinner check.
    5 1/2 years of torture could have left him bitter and broken, but he came back to the U.S. with a smile on his face! Sheesh.

Do anything to keep taxes low. Abhors waste. Outspoken. Honest (there they go again!) Larger cause. Love for America. Country first.
    What a life. What faith. What a family. What good fortune we will choose this leader at this time. Trumpets. Second picture of African American family in the slideshow.

Back to the tiny dank cell. When you’ve lived in a box, the world becomes clear. When you’ve lived in a box….When you’ve lived in a box (repeat)….Country first.

And here he is. Yellow tie? U-S-A U-S-A, etc. Green background? I thought they weren’t going to do that any more. Oh, it’s green grass in a slide of a giant stately home. Wha…. Is it one of his??

AAA! Someone held up a McCain Votes Against Vets sign!!!! They must have smuggled it in. Holy cow. And another guy in a Vets Against the War t-shirt giving the double peace signs!!! Man…

Cindy is his inspiration. (but Sarah is his soulmate?) They’ve got to change that slide. It’s like the green screen challenge on the Colbert Report where people send in submissions to make him interesting.

No substance yet. Thank you for your consideration to the undecided voters. A word to Obama supporters. A lone boo. You have my respect and admiration. 8 people clapping. We are fellow Americans. That means more to me than anything else. Applause.

“My friends”. Everybody drink!

Now it’s a bright blue slide that is scorching my retinas. What IS that??
    CODE PINK IS IN THE HOUSE!! She’s getting hauled off to shouts of USA USA. “My friends, please don’t be diverted by the ground noise and the static….heh heh heh.”

Another code pink! Unbelievable. More chants of USA. They didn’t show her this time, though. Man. McCain looked ticked off at that one. His face changed color.

More Sarah Palin. Executive experience. Cut taxes, energy issues, across the aisle. Worked with her hands. Small business. Worried about cost of gas and groceries. I can’t wait until I introduce her to Washington…hehehehe. Grimace of death. To the ‘me first, country second crowd - “Change is Coming!” Applause.

Keeping promises. Strenghth. Backbone. Maverick. Marches to the beat of his own drum….. Come on, where’s another code pink?

Oh, the blue is sky with a flagpole. It’s agonizing.

Pork barrel projects will be vetoed when they come across his desk and we will know their names x 2. I fought union bosses. Cheers. I fought trial lawyers. Fought for more troops when it wasn’t popular. Wild applause. USA USA USA. “I’d rather lose an election than see my country lose a war.” Standing ovation.

I fight for this and that. People who coach little league, teachers, son with autism. These people matter to him. I fight for (fill in family name). Honor the sacrifice of soldiers by keeping country safe.

The man is no orator. I keep thinking of Obama’s speech. What time is is? Obama passed corporate welfare bill for oil companies? I think that’s what he said.

We’re all God’s children and we’re all Americans. We believe in low taxes, open markets, risk takers, letting people keep the fruits of their labor, strong defense, culture of life, judges who don’t legislate from the bench (unless they’re on our side). Values of family, neighborhoods and communities. Government that doesn’t make your choices for you, let’s you make them for yourself (unless it has to do with reproductive rights).
    Opponent will raise taxes, raise government spending, will eliminate jobs, will put a beaurocrat stands between you and your doctor. Lots of boos. What time is it?

Teleprompter problem. Opponent wants to wish away global economy. More teleprompter problems. I bet people have tuned out because of the blue background eye torture alone. Did I say torture?

Need to empower parents with choice about schools. (Just not in family planning). Get rid of bad teachers. Standing ovation. BIG teleprompter problem. This is ugly.

Obama wants unions and beurocrats in school. Teleprompter problem. Stop sending money to foreign countries who don’t like us very much. (What about the foreign countries sending US money that don’t like us very much?) Drill now! Drill now! “Drill Baby Drill” with a shot of “Environmentalists for McCain”.

My friends! Drink!

He just said “electric auto-mobiles”. (They call them ‘cars’ now)

Ooo. Wide camera shot with lots of empty seats.

Al Qaeda will strike us again. Iran is the chief state sponsor of terrorism. On their way to nuclear weapons. Russia invaded small neighbor to gain control of the world’s oil supply. (Who would do such a thing?!)

I know how the world works. I know the good and evil in it. I know the leaders, and how to stand up to them. I know how to secure the peace. (with war?) He remembers when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

Change change change. Change. My friends!

I have the scars to prove it (touching chest). Senator Obama does not. Transparency, accountability, get things done. Doesn’t care who gets the credit.

Never a day he hasn’t thanked God for his fortune. Blessed with misfortune. Gulf of Tonkin. Here’s the conversion story. Used to think of himself, crashed into a lake, broken limbs, angry crowd. Dark cell. Left to die. Teleprompter problems. Down to 100 pounds. Changed cells. Couldn’t feed himself. Learned about selfishness. Cellmates saved his life. Solitary confinement. Teleprompter problems. Stayed in prison to let other guys go. Standing ovation. Guards worked him over. Broke him. Hurt and ashamed. Tapping on wall. Get back up and fight again for his country. Standing ovation. Fell in love with his country. “I wasn’t my own man any more. I was my country’s”

I’m not running because I think I’m blessed and because I’m annointed to save country in hour of need (with snark)….ARGH!

My friends! Call to service - join the army, become a minister, teacher, volunteer, serve a cause greater than self. (Become a community organizer, perhaps?)

Stand up and fight. Fight for America. Fight for Freedom. We never quit. We never give up. Fight with me! Fight with me! Fight! Fight! Fight! Stand up and fight!

God Bless America.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

I only lasted 5 minutes. I have a low tolerance for pompous windbags.

thats why you can read the snark in a transcript of bitch
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I was expecting more than what McCain gave. All I can remember, now that it's over, is that McCain was a POW, something about education that reminded me of No Child Left Behind and that McCain was a POW.

And McCain's delivery...some say it was teleprompter issues, I think he's beginning to have problems reading & speaking. Many breaks in his speech continuity. I was surprised.

I almost fell asleep at 950p CST. I would have if my son didn't come in the room.

When you compare Obama's speech to McCain's it's like night and day. Obama was confident and clear, and McCain just came off as desperate and dull. He looked and sounded weak. I'm starting to agree with Fluffy that something's not right with his health.

^Me too. I couldn't believe how bored I was. I really had a hard time paying attention.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I was expecting more than what McCain gave. All I can remember, now that it's over, is that McCain was a POW, something about education that reminded me of No Child Left Behind and that McCain was a POW.

And McCain's delivery...some say it was teleprompter issues, I think he's beginning to have problems reading & speaking. Many breaks in his speech continuity. I was surprised.
    McCain was a POW???
    (yes, that's sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    McCain was a POW???
    (yes, that's sarcasm)
    You're being unpatriotic! McCain is an American hero who was the ONLY person in history to ever be a POW.

I turned it off too quickly.

SVZ

his smile was SO fake. the man is disgusting.

SVZ

i will be so so SO disappointed in america if he becomes president.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information