Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John McCain will accept nomination in town hall setting

Default John McCain will accept nomination in town hall setting

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Sen. John McCain of Arizona embarks on his final drive for the White House on Thursday night, accepting the Republican presidential nomination and addressing the party’s national convention from a stage that workers were hastily rebuilding to fit his “town hall” approach.
    On the final day of the convention, a lot of the talk was still about Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the vice presidential nominee, who gave her big introductory speech Wednesday night, less than a week after being chosen for the ticket.
    McCain’s wife, Cindy, suggested in an interview that she does not agree with Palin’s support for a nearly total ban on abortions.

And the Democratic vice presidential nominee, Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, declared that some news coverage of his Republican counterpart had been sexist.
    Construction workers moved parts of the platform at the Xcel Energy Center to bring delegates closer to where McCain will give his acceptance speech, giving the stage a T-shape. Organizers said the change reflected the town hall-type forums in which McCain has campaigned.

“The extended podium will serve as a fitting complement to John McCain’s preference for direct interaction with his fellow citizens,” said Maria Cino, the convention’s chief executive.

Jill Hazelbaker, McCain’s communications director, said McCain would stress his “lifelong record of reform” and call for “building a bipartisan consensus.”

And the Democratic vice presidential nominee, Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, declared that some news coverage of his Republican counterpart had been sexist.
    Construction workers moved parts of the platform at the Xcel Energy Center to bring delegates closer to where McCain will give his acceptance speech, giving the stage a T-shape. Organizers said the change reflected the town hall-type forums in which McCain has campaigned.
    “The extended podium will serve as a fitting complement to John McCain’s preference for direct interaction with his fellow citizens,” said Maria Cino, the convention’s chief executive.
    Jill Hazelbaker, McCain’s communications director, said McCain would stress his “lifelong record of reform” and call for “building a bipartisan consensus.”

At the same time, she said, McCain will not pull back from criticizing the Democratic presidential nominee, Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois.
    “Senator McCain is going to contrast on the big issues,” Hazelbaker said. “The reality is that these two candidates have stark differences in terms of their vision for the country and for the future of America.”
    McCain’s campaign manager, Rick Davis, said he was not too concerned that McCain’s speech would be up against the New York Giants-Washington Redskins kickoff game to the NFL season. In this day and age, “news travels fast,” Davis said, suggesting that even those who miss McCain’s speech were likely to catch up quickly.

for more click on the link: McCain moves to center stage - The conventions - MSNBC.com

.. except he won't be interacting with any of them, just like reporters, or interviewers, or anybody else. He has flunkies to deliver talking points for him.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

So I guess McCain couldn't get enough people to fill a third of the Metrodome, therefore the "town hall" setting.

I wonder if he really IS having problems. My sister noticed he flubbed some lines last Saturday when he was introducing Palin to a crowd.

Maybe he really IS going senile. Don't give him any weapons. He may trade them for hostages...

Haha, he was so ill at ease last night when he made his 'surprise appearance' up on the Jerry stage. It's going to be fun to watch him flail about tonight. I was thinking of doing a "my friends" drinking game, but I'd prefer not to die from alcohol poisoning. Too bad the press will lap it up and promote it like the paid performing monkeys they are.

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - John McCain, a POW turned political rebel, vowed Thursday night to vanquish the "constant partisan rancor" plaguing the nation. "Change is coming" to Washington, he promised the Republican National Convention as he launched his fall campaign for the White House.

"I will reach out my hand to anyone to help me get this country moving again," McCain said in remarks prepared for the a prime time address. "I have that record and the scars to prove it. Senator Obama does not," he said of his rival for the White House, Sen. Barack Obama.

McCain also invoked the five years he spent in a North Vietnamese prison. "I fell in love with my country when I was a prisoner in someone else's," he said. "I was never the same again. I wasn't my own man anymore. I was my country's."
    Extracts from McCain's speech.

My Way News - McCain vows to end partisan rancor in Washington

How can he reach out his hand to anybody, it's still up Bush's ass.

The only scars you have are from all the cancerous tumors being cut away. That's your soul trying to escape the wretched, twisted monster you've become.

You betrayed your nation for a power grab. You aren't interested in anything except caving to nutjobs.

Oh, and according to Bush's directives on torture, YOU NEVER WERE. So stop whining.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

His introductory video just ended a few minutes ago; did you know he's from a military family, was a POW who refused an offer to be released, and has kids in the military?

He's got some good foundation on him tonight. Doesn't look too pasty.

He was handsome when he was younger, but he has not aged well...he looked very fragile when he walked out on the stage tonight.

His speech is a complete disaster. He is not a good public speaker. He is struggling and no matter what your political affiliation, it has to be clear that he can barely read that freaking teleprompter.

I couldn't even listen to the bulk of his speech. I just kept the TV on mute, and turned the sound on here and there. The one thing that was painfully clear, other than the fact that McCain is horrible at public speaking, is that the Republican base is more excited about Palin than they are about him. Now that's sad when your running mate gets more love than you do.

When I see him walking around, it looks like he's months away from getting a walker. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    When I see him walking around, it looks like he's months away from getting a walker. Seriously.
    I know. I thought he looked particularly stiff tonight. I wonder if he is on a bunch of medications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information