Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Barack Obama would consider charging Bush administration over Guantanamo

Default Barack Obama would consider charging Bush administration over Guantanamo

Barack Obama would consider charging Bush administration over Guantanamo

Joe Biden, Barack Obama’s vice-presidential running mate, has indicated that a new Democratic administration could pursue criminal charges against the Bush administration over the treatment of detainees in Guantanamo bay.

Mr Biden said at an event in Deerfield Beach, Florida: “If there has been a basis upon which you can pursue someone for a criminal violation, they will be pursued, not out of vengeance, not out of retribution, out of the need to preserve the notion that no one, no attorney general, no president - no one is above the law."

His statement is the strongest indication yet that an Obama administartion might seek legal redress against the President George W. Bush. It could undermine Mr Obama’s message of bipartisanship and moving beyond the battles over Iraq.

In April, Mr Obama struck a similar note when he promised that he would ask his attorney general to review the Bush administration’s decisions to differentiate between "genuine crimes" and "really bad policies".

"If crimes have been committed, they should be investigated," he told the Philadelphia Daily News. "You're also right that I would not want my first term consumed by what was perceived on the part of Republicans as a partisan witch hunt, because I think we've got too many problems we've got to solve."

Democrats on Capitol Hill have issued a blizzard of subpoenas to Bush administration aides as part of a inquiries into the authorisation of brutal interrogation tactics used at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp.

Three White House officials have been held in criminal contempt of Congress for refusing to respond to subpoenas. Former counsel Harriet Miers, former chief political adviser Karl Rove and current chief of staff Josh Bolten have all refused to appear.

Mr Biden said at an event in Deerfield Beach, Florida: “If there has been a basis upon which you can pursue someone for a criminal violation, they will be pursued, not out of vengeance, not out of retribution, out of the need to preserve the notion that no one, no attorney general, no president - no one is above the law."

His statement is the strongest indication yet that an Obama administartion might seek legal redress against the Presidetn George W. Bush. It could undermine Mr Obama’s message of bipartisanship and moving beyond the battles over Iraq.

In April, Mr Obama struck a similar note when he promised that he would ask his attorney general to review the Bush administration’s decisions to differentiate between "genuine crimes" and "really bad policies".

"If crimes have been committed, they should be investigated," he told the Philadelphia Daily News. "You're also right that I would not want my first term consumed by what was perceived on the part of Republicans as a partisan witch hunt, because I think we've got too many problems we've got to solve."

Democrats on Capitol Hill have isseued a blizzard of subpoenas to Bush administration aides as part of a inquiries into the authorisation of torturous interrogation tactics used at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp.

Three White House officials have been held in criminal contempt of Congress for refusing to respond to subpoenas. Former counsel Harriet Miers, former chief political adviser Karl Rove and current chief of staff Josh Bolten have all refused to appear.

Barack Obama would consider criminal charges against Bush administration over Guantanamo Bay - Telegraph

I wouldn't bet on it
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

THANK YOU JESUS

srsly, someone has to do it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bush and Cheney should be tried for war crimes

never going to happen...an empty campaign promise...

It's a good promise, for all the bad Bush feelings...but no one in the admin will ever be brought up on these type charges
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I'd like for Obama to try, but I honestly couldn't see it going anywhere. Bush and Cheney have too many connections, to get the charges to suddenly drop. Noting the connections, God knows what would happen to Obama.

He's a very brave guy.

Right. It won't happen but they SHOULD be tried for war crimes. The things they did in office were absolutely criminal.

I doubt it will happen as well- but I would love to see this administration face the shit they created.

Good way to get votes anyhow.

I wish all these people would quit blowing smoke up my ass!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

but your ass loves it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

nope, it makes my ass clench up ....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Elite Member

Vince Bugliosi has a book out now about indicting W for war crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    never going to happen...an empty campaign promise...

It's a good promise, for all the bad Bush feelings...but no one in the admin will ever be brought up on these type charges
    It's better if we do it than if the world court does it. I have heard speculation that it could be done internationally. Besides, it would be better for our soldiers abroad should they get captured.

yeah, maybe the world court will do it like they did it to Pinochet...wait until he's almost dead and then bring charges that he'll never face..

It's not going to happen, either here or abroad......It's a fucking empty campaign promise for the ignorant

Thread Information