Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Biden says Sarah Palin's speech lacked substance

Default Joe Biden says Sarah Palin's speech lacked substance

Biden on Palin's speech: Style but no substance
    (CNN) -- Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden praised his Republican counterpart's acceptance speech as "incredibly well-crafted and delivered," but said Sarah Palin's rhetoric lacked substance.
    "I didn't hear the phrase 'middle class.' I didn't hear a single word about health care. I didn't hear a single word about helping people get to college," Biden, a U.S. senator from Delaware, told CNN's "American Morning" Thursday.
    He went on to list other policy areas the Alaska governor did not address Wednesday night at the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
    "They don't have a single answer [for] how to dig us out of the hole we've been dug into the last eight years," Biden added. iReport.com: "Oh, we can play that game"
    In her speech Wednesday night, Palin belittled Sen. Barack Obama's experience as a community organizer in Chicago, Illinois, and remarked that the Democratic presidential nominee and senator had written two memoirs but no major legislation. Biden countered by saying Obama had helped formulate "the most significant ethics reform bill since Watergate."
    Biden said he would stick to policy issues when the two meet to debate on October 2 at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri.
    "When we debate -- and, boy, she's going to be a tough debater, she's going to be a skillful debater -- I'm going to try to talk about the differences of our worldview here and what we're going to do for the country," he said.
    "If it's going to get down to who can deliver the toughest lines, then she's going to win the debate," Biden added. "But I'm not going there."
    Biden on Palin's speech: Style but no substance

He better not go soft on her.
    She was incredibly rude to Obama last night so he better bring that shit right back in her face and ask exactly what her plan of action is, since she's got so many.

Biden better not go easy on her. But he's right, he has to keep the focus on the issues, and then if she resorts to the cheap shots from her speech then he needs to let her have it, while focusing on the issues.

"I didn't hear the phrase 'middle class.' I didn't hear a single word about health care. I didn't hear a single word about helping people get to college," Biden, a U.S. senator from Delaware, told CNN's "American Morning" Thursday.
    Bingo. That's your debate platform.

"When we debate -- and, boy, she's going to be a tough debater, she's going to be a skillful debater -- I'm going to try to talk about the differences of our worldview here and what we're going to do for the country," he said.
    Do you get the sense he's practically drooling on himself at the prospect?

"If it's going to get down to who can deliver the toughest lines, then she's going to win the debate," Biden added. "But I'm not going there."
    IE: she's going to be an insulting bitch but not say anything relevant about any of the problems we face. I WILL.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Of course it lacked substance. Palin has no idea what she's talking about, and hass no idea WHAT to talk about. She's just another GOP puppet, like Quayle and the Bush's.

Elite Member

I suggest that we all stock up on popcorn and sodas for the VP debate. Biden is going punch Palin's clock while discussing real issues.

If Palin tries to compete with Biden on the issues, she'll sound like a rehearsed parrot, because it will be obvious that her handlers fed her the lines.

If she gets snarky while Biden stays with the issues, then Palin looks like a silly twit with no real plan to lead the country.

Biden should have Palin over a barrel on this one. Her goose is gonna get cooked.

Of course it lacked substance. It's purpose was to introduce Palin to the nation in a positive manner.

It accomplished what it set out to do. It wasn't suppposed to be a substantative speech.

Not every convention speech is to serve the same purpose.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

When is it? I just might have to cancell everything else, just so I can stay home and watch the political WWF match take place

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Of course it lacked substance. It's purpose was to introduce Palin to the nation in a positive manner.

It accomplished what it set out to do. It wasn't suppposed to be a substantative speech.

Not every convention speech is to serve the same purpose.
    I went in knowing some things about Palin. I came out knowing just one additional thing: she's a pitbull with lipstick. I already knew about her children, her husband, and her stint as a PTA mom. Palin didn't introduce herself, she just blabbered a bunch of buzz points while smiling daintily.

And the GOP accuses Obama of being a style-over-substance speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    I went in knowing some things about Palin. I came out knowing just one additional thing: she's a pitbull with lipstick. I already knew about her children, her husband, and her stint as a PTA mom. Palin didn't introduce herself, she just blabbered a bunch of buzz points while smiling daintily.

And the GOP accuses Obama of being a style-over-substance speaker.

you may be politically aware...not all of america follows these things the way some of us do...so clearly this was her introduction to the public...

that's why so many americans are still undecided at this point in the election calendar...

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

how was her introduction in any way positive? I don't think she said one positive thing
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    how was her introduction in any way positive? I don't think she said one positive thing

you may not...

but the media was positive and public reaction was positive...and that was the point...

Palin Speech Gets Rave Reviews

After two days of unrelenting negative coverage, media analysts last night and this morning almost universally lavished praise on Gov. Sarah Palin's convention speech.

Immediate reaction by the broadcast punditry was positive. On NBC, Tom Brokaw said a few moments after Palin concluded, "Tonight makes a very auspicious debut as the vice presidential candidate before this hall and a national television audience. She could not have been more winning or engaging."

On CBS, Bob Schieffer said after the speech, "I think she passed the first test. The people in this hall absolutely loved this speech. ... Now we'll see how it plays with the rest of the country."

On ABC, George Stephanopoulos said, "There were a lot beautiful and effective lines in this speech."

On ABC's Nightline, Stephanopoulos added, "She definitely gets an A. ... It was appealing and funny and warn at times. Very, very tough at times as well. And she really did have an ability to bring these things down to earth, bring it down to earth."

On CBS, Jeff Greenfield said she "made a very strong first impression, the kind Republicans want appealing to people beyond the base."

On NBC, Brian Williams referred to a "tough and warmly received speech," while on MSNBC, David Gregory said, "I think this was a very strong presentation. ... If this was a first test for...Palin on the national stage...then she's gone a long way toward being very successful."

On CNN, Wolf Blitzer said, "She really did hit it out of the park tonight not only here but for millions of Americans watching across the country. No doubt...their first real impression of her had to be very, very positive given this speech that was obviously very carefully written but very well delivered." Anderson Cooper added, "If anyone is wondering why she is such a popular governor in the state of Alaska, you saw the answer tonight."

Praise came from more than just Republicans and the media. On CBS, Democratic strategist Joe Trippi said, "She passed this test with flying colors, but this one was controlled, a crowd that adored her with a teleprompter. Now she has to go out, face the press, answer their questions, see how she does against Joe Biden. But if you are the Democrats right now, you're taking this thing a lot more seriously."

Print coverage this morning is echoing the praise in front page story across the nation. The New York Times reports on its front page that Palin's appearance "electrified a convention that has been consumed by questions of whether she was up to the job," while the Washington Post says on its front page that Palin "may be controversial, risky and untested on the national stage. But at the convention Wednesday night," she "proved to be an instant jolt of energy for a political party that has been worried and demoralized for much of 2008." Another Washington Post front page story notes Palin "offered at least one apparent ad-lib: 'The difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull?' she asked. 'Lipstick.'" The Los Angeles Times similarly notes that Palin faced an "enthusiastic audience whose frequent cheers were like balm after the political pain of the past several days." USA Today, under the headline "Palin Makes Landfall in St. Paul," says, "Looking confident and poised, she depicted herself as an independent-minded fiscal conservative, an advocate for special-needs children such as her son Trig -- and a critic of Obama." The Politico says Palin's "poised and flawless performance evoked roars of applause from delegates who earlier this week might have worried that the surprise pick and newcomer to the national stage may not be up to the job. When the nearly 40-minute address came to a close, however, all doubts were doused and Democrats were on notice that Palin will not flinch from the fight."

In an analysis, the AP reports, "With a forceful speech that served as her introduction to millions of Americans on Wednesday," Palin "seduced many on television who had spent days doubting her candidacy." USA Today reports, "In interviews after Palin's speech, voters across the USA gave her generally positive reviews." The Wall Street Journal reports, "Pulitzer-prize winning historian David M. Kennedy gave her high marks. 'I think she's been quite effective,' he said. 'She's clearly no patsy. She's a pretty effective speaker. She's not afraid, at least in this particular format, to be quite combative. I think she's going to be a pretty formidable candidate.'"

Some stories did express lingering doubts about her candidacy beyond the convention. The Wall Street Journal reports Palin addressed "a loudly enthusiastic crowd of delegates," but adds "the broader question was how her speech would play to the audience beyond, a question that was impossible to answer immediately." In a similar analysis, titled "Easiest Task For Palin May Have Been Speech," the New York Times reports, "From here, Ms. Palin moves into a national campaign where she will have to appeal to audiences that are not necessarily primed to adore her." In an analysis, the Los Angeles Times reports that Palin "delivered the most important speech of her career with poise and pugnacity. ... But Wednesday was the easy part."

The opinion pages today also contain praise for the speech. A sampling: In a column titled "BARACK, MEET YOUR NIGHTMARE," Rich Lowry writes in the New York Post, "Last night, the question about Sarah Palin wasn't if she's risen too fast, but where she's been for so long. ... Annie Oakley brought a gun to a knife fight and made like the Obama-Biden ticket was a moose lazily meandering into her gun sights. ... John McCain may have found himself the ideal wingman." In his New York Daily News column, Michael Goodwin writes that Palin "has turned the political world upside down. ... She used sarcasm, a baby-doll voice and a confident delivery in the speech of her life. Hell, given the stakes and the doubts about her ability, it was one of the best political speeches of the year. She pulled it off like she was born for the moment." Philadelphia Inquirer TV critic Jonathan storm writes, "A star was born last night." In the Chicago Sun Times, Lynn Sweet writes, "With steely grit and humored determination, Palin started the job of righting her turbulent political launch." The Washington Post, in an editorial however, calls the speech "impressive" but said Palin's resume is "astonishingly thin."

Tough Rhetoric Gets Media Attention A common theme in the coverage of Palin's speech are descriptions of it as hard-hitting or even too negative. On ABC, for example, George Stephanopoulos said, "One other thing we saw tonight is one tough cookie. She said the only difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull was lipstick. And she proved it with that speech tonight." On NBC, Ann Curry took it further, saying, "I think that she surprised them here with how much of an attack dog she was in her speech tonight."
    On CBS, Katie Couric called the speech "feisty, folksy, fiery, and emotional," and added she "pounded Barack Obama, attacking him on everything, from his positions on Iraq to terrorism, to taxes, and said some politicians 'use change to promote their careers.'" On CNN, Campbell Brown said, "I would say also that John McCain got his attack dog."
    The Washington Times (9/4, Dinan, 83K) reports Palin "showed she could punch with the political brawlers," while the New York Times refers on its front page to "slashing attacks on Mr. Obama's claims of experience," which "reinforced new television commercials by the McCain campaign that similarly belittled the Democratic nominee's experience." Another front-page Washington Post piece, headlined "Palin Comes Out Fighting," says Palin "embraced the role of leading the attack against the Democratic ticket." Similarly, the Los Angeles Times headlines its front-page story "Defiant Sarah Palin Comes Out Swinging," and describes Palin as "gleefully tearing into" Obama.
    Palin Challenge's Media's Criticism At one point in her speech, Palin took direct aim at her media critics. The Chicago Tribune says Palin "cast herself as a victim of hostile reporters and a scornful Washington establishment, skewering a favorite conservative target and evoking shouts of 'shame on you' from the delegate floor to the press corps. 'Here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators,' she said. 'I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion. I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this great country.'"
    On NBC, though, Tom Brokaw indicated that the media wasn't going to back down, saying, "But in fact tonight, when she talked about opposing the bridge from nowhere...she was in favor of it until Congress decided that Alaska would have to pick up the rest of the tab. So there are those issues that legitimately need to be examined as there are with Joe Biden and Barack Obama and we'll continue our role."

USNews.com: Political Bulletin: Thursday, September 4, 2008

I'd like to know what the conservative media, and the republican voters, REALLY think of this skank. Enough of the fucking sugar coating, America!!

the conservatives love her...she is one of them

that's why she was picked- not because she's a woman, that was just a bonus to them- because she brought the conservatives in the party to McCain. He needed that, and his choices for that were Romney and Huckabee....and both of them come with crazy religious baggage, too crazy for the mainstream....

all she brought were the hardcore nutjobs that were already there. Normal republicans are saying "wtf?"

independents think she's a joke, and Dems think she's Caribou Barbie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information