Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John McCain caved to the evangelical nutjobs, picked Sarah Palin over Joe Lieberman

Question John McCain caved to the evangelical nutjobs, picked Sarah Palin over Joe Lieberman

Last night, we posted an excerpt from a blockbuster NY Times article about John McCain and his v.p. selection process. There is a critical development in that article that warrants further examination.

We're always told how tough McCain is. We're always told how much of a maverick John McCain is. Yet, the tough maverick didn't have the courage to take on the special interests in his own party. McCain couldn't pick the person he wanted as v.p. because GOP activists wouldn't let him. How can McCain take on special interests in Washington when he totally caved to the special interests in St. Paul?:

Up until midweek last week, some 48 to 72 hours before Mr. McCain introduced Ms. Palin at a Friday rally in Dayton, Ohio, Mr. McCain was still holding out the hope that he could name as his running mate a good friend, Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, independent of Connecticut, a Republican close to the campaign said. Mr. McCain had also been interested in another favorite, former Gov. Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania.

But both men favor abortion rights, anathema to the Christian conservatives who make up a crucial base of the Republican Party. As word leaked out that Mr. McCain was seriously considering the men, the campaign was bombarded by outrage from influential conservatives who predicted an explosive floor fight at the convention and vowed rejection of Mr. Ridge or Mr. Lieberman by the delegates.

If John McCain was truly the leader he claimed to be, Sarah Palin wouldn't be the v.p., Ridge or Lieberman would be. This was the most important decision McCain had to make in his campaign -- and he had six full months to think about it. But, McCain just could not stand up to the right wing special interests in his party. Not such bold leadership after all.

McCain made a rash, reckless, impulsive decision. That's bad enough. But, the back story shows he just capitulated when challenged by the GOP theocrats.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    How is it these morons have such power after 8 years of Boosh being a complete idiots? It boggles the mind.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

And Obama caved to the anti-Clinton wing of the Democrat party and picked and old white guy.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

LOL no, he made a smart move and picked someone who wasn't going to be a perpetual ball and chain around his neck.

The two aren't even remotely similar. Plus, Biden got vetted.. your fascist cow didn't.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Obama didn't cave to the special interest folks who wanted him to pick Clinton. That being said if McCain picked Lieberman it would've been political suicide. We could have skipped the election and just swore Obama into Office.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    LOL no, he made a smart move and picked someone who wasn't going to be a perpetual ball and chain around his neck.

The two aren't even remotely similar. Plus, Biden got vetted.. your fascist cow didn't.
    Why don't you go read the article about vetting and McCain in the Washington Times and then get back to me.

And way to use more sexist language. Its becoming very clear that feminism isn't for every woman, its for liberal women only.

McCain didn't even VET Palin, he just caved and grabbed her in an impulse. She's getting vetted NOW for gods sake.

Conservative women have no need for feminism, they're more than happy to sell their sisters down the river for bullshit sky fairy ideology and a 'womans place' so, frankly, they should feel right at home with sexist language. I'm sure they get it all the time from their neanderthal male counterparts and probably think it's just fucking dandy. I can see them going 'teehee! oh YOU!' when they get their ass slapped on the way to the kitchen to get more drinks for their MEN.

Oh and get this, this is fucking brilliant...

for all the whining about 'sexism' in this campaign, guess what would be the primary reason they chose Palin?

That's right. THe Rethugs are basically going to use the SEXISM charge like McCain's POW card.. They're going to be throwing up the sexism card for ANY criticism of Palin, and by extention McCain.

They didn't fucking pick her because she's qualified or even smart.. they picked her because they wanted a fucking criticism shield to protect a VP choice.. this just happens to be a really good one. They want both people to be utterly fucking immune to any questions, valid or not. They wanted an insulator, not a proper VP pick. That's fucking hilarious! They whine about sexism and then use sexism as a way to pick a VP!

SHE GOT PICKED FOR COMPLETELY SEXIST REASONS.

If that isn't fucking money, i dunno what is. ROFLMAO

McCain didn't even VET Palin, he just caved and grabbed her in an impulse. She's getting vetted NOW for gods sake.

Conservative women have no need for feminism, they're more than happy to sell their sisters down the river for bullshit sky fairy ideology and a 'womans place' so, frankly, they should feel right at home with sexist language. I'm sure they get it all the time from their neanderthal male counterparts and probably think it's just fucking dandy. I can see them going 'teehee! oh YOU!' when they get their ass slapped on the way to the kitchen to get more drinks for their MEN.
    You're wrong, Grimm. Absolutely wrong. Would you like for me to post the Washington Times article, or will you just slam it as being bias? Oh, the article also explains why a team of layers, etc. have been sent to Alaska- and it isn't why you are saying.

Please do, i'll enjoy mocking the shit out of it.

Please do, i'll enjoy mocking the shit out of it.
    Of course you would! Why don't you post it then?

Why don't you?

Omg, here we go with the "YOU CAN'T SAY THIS OR THAT, IT'S SEXIST/RACIST" again.

More about the lack of vetting- its looking more like the fact that he panicked during Obama's speech and chose her with the moral blessings of Dobson and co

"They didn’t seriously consider her until four or five days from the time she was picked, before she was asked, maybe the Thursday or Friday before," said a Republican close to the campaign. "This was really kind of rushed at the end, because John didn’t get what he wanted. He wanted to do Joe or Ridge."
    He wanted to do Joe or Ridge lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us...etting.html?em

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I mentioned this earlier that if McCain picked her against his wishes that does not bode well for administration. If he can't pick who he wants for his V.P. how will he control his minions when he's in office. Sad, sad, sad.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Elite Member

^^^I agree with you 100%, nana. Picking Lieberman as a running mate would have been political suicide--no way would the Republican base have gone along with that, but is Tom Ridge that bad of a choice? What about Tim Pawlenty? Even Mitt Romney would have fared better than this. If McCain can't even muster the energy/courage/conviction to choose the running mate that best suits him, then why should he expect me to vote for him in November?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information