Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Moore - happy about hurricane coming

Default Michael Moore - happy about hurricane coming

Michael Moore: Hurricane Coming During GOP Convention 'Proof There Is a God in Heaven'
    Controversial filmmaker admits he's delighted to see a natural disaster potentially interfere with the Republican event.

By Jeff Poor
    Business & Media Institute
    8/30/2008 12:13:18 AM

Sometime you really have wonder at what cost some are willing to see their political ideology advanced.

To liberal documentary filmmaker Michael Moore, the bounds are seemingly endless. Moore has made a recent career out of attacking President George W. Bush, bashing conservatives and criticizing business. His latest outrage occurred on MSNBC’s August 29 “Countdown with Keith Olbermann” and when he commented about the coincidental timing of an unfortunate disaster – the potential for Hurricane Gustav to make landfall at the beginning of the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn.

“I was just thinking, this Gustav is proof that there is a God in heaven,” Moore said, laughing. “To have it planned at the same time – that it would actually be on its way to New Orleans for day one of the Republican Convention, up in the Twin Cities – at the top of the Mississippi River.”

After that comment, Moore backed off a bit and did say he hoped nobody got hurt and he hoped everybody is taking cover. However, he failed to make note of the $43.625 billion in damage the last hurricane to strike New Orleans caused – Hurricane Katrina in 2005 – and the billions of dollars the storm cost taxpayers.

Moore also took the opportunity to take a dig at President George W. Bush and the presumptive Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain.

“I can’t see what you showed,” Moore said to “Countdown” host Keith Olbermann about a video clip including Bush and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. celebrating McCain’s birthday. “I don’t know if you showed the cake there that they had there, three years ago today – with McCain and Bush. When Marie Antoinette – when she said, ‘Let them eat cake,’ I think she was speaking figuratively. They literally were while New Orleans was drowning – eating cake. So, it’s, um, I don’t know – let’s hope things get better.”

Olbermann, whose opinions tend to fall on the same far left end of the ideological spectrum as Moore, said it was even weirder than Moore observed. Olbermann said “one of” Focus on the Family preachers connected to Chairman Dr. James Dobson’s was allegedly calling for everyone to pray for rain during Sen. Barack Obama’s Democratic convention speech.

Moore told Olbermann he feared McCain would continue the wars that we are in and would start a new one with Iran. He defended Iran’s aggressive tactic with nuclear weapons by suggesting that if Iran invaded Mexico and Canada, as we had with Iraq and Afghanistan, even he and Olbermann would “build whatever we could do defend ourselves.”

Both Olbermann and Moore were full of praise for Obama’s speech and Moore chalked McCain’s selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to cynicism on part of the Republican Party.

Moore has been a crusader for socialized health care in the United States, especially with his 2007 documentary “SiCKO.” Moore depicted the health care systems used in Canada, France, the United Kingdom and the communist nation of Cuba as what the United States should have – an expensive taxpayer-funded health care system.

What an asshole.

><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

His porch light is growing dimmer-he started out OK,but last I saw him on TV he was-umm-odd.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'd like to think he was joking.
    ssabmud

^^ Yeah me too. I think he's just saying that because the Republican government in place reacted so slowly to Katrina.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Pretty funny joke as thousands of people could lose everything they have. He sounds like that douche bag Sharon Stone with her comment about the earthquake in China.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

^^ Yes it was a very bad joke indeed.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I don't care if he was joking or not, he's a douche.

Since, I watched KO last evening and saw Moore's comments in context.. I can tell you that he meant it as irony. There was a picture of Dubya, and McCain sharing a very large cake(with very large smiles to match the cake) on the day that Katrina hit Louisiana. The whole interview should be in text. It is ironic that a Hurricane is forecast during the RNC convention to remind people that the people in power now, and who are trying to regain power are the same ones who left people in the Superdome, people on their rooftops, and people and dead bodies in several feet of toxic water for FIVE days!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Yeah it's an ironic joke but I can see why people would think it's insensitive on his part and this coming from a Moore fan.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

It was insensative. Probably something he should have said in private. However everything else he said was right on. Dobson did say he told everyone to pray for rain on Obama's big night. He later said he was joking too.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Silver Member

Michael Moore is an idiot. No more no less.

My sister is out in the Caribbean right now. I can't say I'm too happy about the hurricane coming

Very insensitive of him

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

The Business and Media Institute is a right-wing "think" tank so yeah, taking what he said out of context is their business.

Lightbulb Kal Sarpa Yoga in Vedic Astrology

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    Since, I watched KO last evening and saw Moore's comments in context.. I can tell you that he meant it as irony. There was a picture of Dubya, and McCain sharing a very large cake(with very large smiles to match the cake) on the day that Katrina hit Louisiana. The whole interview should be in text. It is ironic that a Hurricane is forecast during the RNC convention to remind people that the people in power now, and who are trying to regain power are the same ones who left people in the Superdome, people on their rooftops, and people and dead bodies in several feet of toxic water for FIVE days!!
    OK, this is going to sound a little weird, but I do think it is karma causing this particular convergence of events (Republican convention & Hurricane Gust). The reason I say this is because from Aug 28 to Sept 12 were currently caught in Kal Sarpa Yoga. This is a Vedic astrology thing. This doesn't affect just the US, but everywhere. As one astrologer described it (her grammar isn't the best but you can get the gist of it):
    The main effect of Kal Sarpa yoga is on the mind. here as it is by transit it will effect the masses and the acitivities where the public is involved there may be lots of worry, anxiety and stress. It tend to destablise the situations. I can see the worrys of the stock markets, oli prices, housing crash - all will effect the publc a lot. They will feel that they are cuaght in a grip of something they have no solutions to. It is definately not a time to panic and to keep on an even keel as it is very easy to get out of balance. As these issues were are facing today are karmic by nature- events and decision made by past Leaders, financial instiutes and our own responsibility to a certain extent by giving into our greed or need to make easy money has landed the world at a crisis point. This yoga is reflecting it. Turbulent stock markets, uncontrollable inflation and oil prices may continue but if you take this time as an essential changeover and not try to find quick and easy solutions- you will be on a the wright path.
    You can take it for whatever it's worth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information