Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A brilliant trap makes Dems the male chauvinists

Talking A brilliant trap makes Dems the male chauvinists

SHE'S just a beauty queen.

She's another Dan Quayle.

And ironically, the biggest criticism of Sarah Palin, John McCain's veep choice, is she has no experience. Funny, coming from the Barack Obama camp.

Following McCain's announcement of Palin - the first female to be put on a GOP ticket for the White House, and only the second in US history - the Obama campaign skipped the niceties and blasted her as the "former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience."

She's also a governor of Alaska (my home state), the first woman in that office and the youngest elected in state history. She has an 80-plus percent approval rating. She has turned the state upside down with her reformist zeal and has made enemies of the Republican establishment.
    And she can talk energy policy, one of the biggest issues facing this country.

Is she a gamble? Definitely. But so is Barack Obama, who has himself dismissed experience as a prerequisite for leadership, despite his spot atop the Democratic ticket.

At this point, Palin is so unknown, there's no way to make a clear judgment about her. But listening to Obama supporters take to the airwaves to shriek with indignation about her lack of experience is just a little too rich. Where were they when Obama, two years into the Senate, announced his candidacy for president?

One Obama supporter and political operative blogged, "In picking an unknown, untested half-a-term governor from Alaska . . . John McCain is following in a long line of reckless men who have rolled the dice for a beauty queen."

Do we really have to do this again?

No sooner was Hillary Rodham Clinton out of the race, and a new woman is in the cross hairs.

On CNN, during a discussion about whether it was appropriate for Palin to accept this job when she has a baby, Dana Bash pointed out it's unlikely anyone would ask this of a male candidate.

I can't help wondering if this is a trap. The McCain camp watched and learned as Obama supporters offended Hillary supporters by their treatment of her. The McCainiacs had to know that this group is incapable of behaving, that Palin would bring out their worst instincts.

One top Republican said to me: "Just wait until she is debating Joe Biden and he starts attacking or condescending to her. Hillary voters are going to say, 'Oh yeah, I remember this.' "

The McCain camp has already made clear it stands at the ready to scoop up these voters. Yesterday, Palin proudly acknowledged her historic selection, the candidacy of Hillary Rodham Clinton and the woman who paved the way for her, Geraldine Ferraro.

Ferraro told me she's excited for another woman to be on a presidential ticket. She sees Palin as a risky choice - but also dismissed the idea that she's unqualified.

And she rejected the idea that all the so-called "Hillary voters" would be repelled by Palin's staunch anti-abortion views. These voters know the Senate will have a veto-proof Democratic majority, so that lessens the potency of that issue.

Howard Wolfson, Hillary's top strategist, said "it won't help with most Hillary voters, but it could help with some."

"Some" of 18 million people is what the McCain camp is after.

The other potential trap is luring the Obama campaign onto the "experience" field. The early conventional wisdom says McCain's pick was boneheaded because it takes the experience issue off the table. But it seems that it has done the opposite: The importance of experience is the topic of the day.
    The more Democrats complain about this, the more Republicans can turn it on them and say, "If you are so concerned about the amount of experience of the vice president, what about the top of your ticket?"

Obama's argument thus far has been that experience isn't what counts; it's judgment. By attacking the Republican woman relentlessly on this issue, Democrats are undermining their own man.

A BRILLIANT TRAP MAKES DEMS THE MALE CHAUVINISTS - New York Post

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Again she's no Hillary. This is a sham to get women to vote for him. McCain thinks by folks questioning her experience will bring HRC voters to him...from what I see its mainly women who are doing the questioning...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I think the verdict is still out on the "brilliant" part.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    Again she's no Hillary. This is a sham to get women to vote for him. McCain thinks by folks questioning her experience will bring HRC voters to him...from what I see its mainly women who are doing the questioning...
    ITA... she doesn't stand for anything Hillary Clinton does, and I don't see what they have in common besides being female. It's still a historic election, but I don't see how her being a woman will automatically attract the vast majority of female Clinton voters- as they are mostly pro-choice democrats. It's actually pretty condescending on McCain's part to believe women who supported Clinton will automatically switch over now that he is running with Palin. Give me a break- Palin, while I'm sure she's a very nice lady, seems like she has no idea what she's doing at all. He could have at least picked another Republican female with more experience and qualifications, but he opted to pick the former beauty queen. It's absurd.

I'm not saying that he picked her just because she's a woman, just that he could have picked a more qualified GOP female.

She's another Dan Quayle
    Oh come on, even I thought that was an unfair judgement!

If Palin was a man, he would still be considered unqualified! Putting the governor of Mayberry in the White House? Come ON! Palin is governor of the state which receives the MOST federal aid in the nation and is extremely reliant on it. How's that for being an independent govenor?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    If Palin was a man, he would still be considered unqualified! Putting the governor of Mayberry in the White House? Come ON! Palin is governor of the state which receives the MOST federal aid in the nation and is extremely reliant on it. How's that for being an independent govenor?
    Why don't you look at what she's done in Alaska since being governor instead of panning the state? Oh nevermind. What's the point? You're not going to vote for McCain anyway.

SSDIva, no one said she was Hillary. Their politics are 180 degrees apart. What they do have in common, other in gender, is they're both assertive, smart and bold women who take no prisoners.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Why don't you look at what she's done in Alaska since being governor instead of panning the state? Oh nevermind. What's the point? You're not going to vote for McCain anyway.
    Why don't you admit that she's accomplished nothing besides becoming McCain's trophy veep?

If the Republicans think they've got the Dems trapped with the gender issue, while they keep trying to exploit the race issue with Obama then their in for a surprise.

But, the fact remains, Palin destroys all of McCain's key attack points against Obama, and she doesn't have the political stature of Hillary. And the 'executive experience' label doesn't work because Bush had more 'executive experience' as a Govenor than Palin does and that didn't help him out as president.

SSDIva, no one said she was Hillary. Their politics are 180 degrees apart. What they do have in common, other in gender, is they're both assertive, smart and bold women who take no prisoners.
    How is she bold, because she allegedly took a plane while in labor. Because she wants to drill, or because she hunts, hates polar bears, and like sports. Well, those aren't winners... I like sports, and guns..I am not a hunter, and she makes me want to join PETA, and I can't stand them. That's it she is there only for the sympathetic 'I'm a woman' vote for us, or you're a sexist' ploy.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Why don't you admit that she's accomplished nothing besides becoming McCain's trophy veep?
    1. Palin was hired as part of an ethics committee to investigate corruption on the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission from 2003 to 2004. When she presented her findings, her findings were ignored. She quit, and inspired by the obvious 'old boy Republicans' network, ran for governor. She defeated the incumbent Republican in the primary, and went on to become Alaska's governor, beating a guy. She did this, all without the support of the state GOP. And those ethics bad guys? Yeah, they were found guilty.

2. As promised in her campaign, she sold the governor's office jet, citing it as a waste of money. It took three attempts, but it finally sold- on eBay. How does she get around Alaska? Either by commercial ariline or her own car. Oh, and she canceled the security detail that was to follow her every day to and from work.

3. She came to the rescue of Alaska's dairy farmers when the state's 71 year old Creamery board wanted to disband, AFTER receiving $600,000. She replaced all the board members and the new members rescinded the plan to shut the board down. The Creamery board is responsible for marketing Alaska's dairy products.

4. She signed the largest state budget in history, but, also used her veto power to cut back on spending. She cut over $230 million in spending and reduced the state's construction budget to $1.6 billion.

5. She went after big oil in Alaska, increasing profit taxes by a fraction, but resulting in millions of dollars for the state and Alaska's citizens. Her experience in working with big oil shows that she has a fair approach for free markets as well as the citizens of her state.

6. Her 'executive' experience began in 1996 when she was elected Mayor of Wasilla, her home town. Why was she elected? To cut back on wasteful spending in the town she grew up in. Ironically, she convinced the town to increase taxes to cover the cost of a new indoor arena. Her passion for sports and dedication to her hometown got the project passed.

7. She, like McCain, is someone who has 'reached across the aisle' and worked with democrats and independents in the Alaska government, leading to an average approval rating of over 80%. Ironically, some of the major cuts she made included pet projects of members of her own party. Were they happy? No. Did it matter? No.

8. And this one is a biggie... she completely revoked the previous admin's 'big oil contracts' for the natural gas pipeline and opened it up to competitive bids. It was her first piece of legislation (the Alaska Gasline Inducement Act) her administration passed. The legislation itself calls for open bids with $500 million in incentives provided the developer meets very stringent guidelines. What happened to the previous three big oil companies? Yeah, two chose to not submit bids. But BP and Conoco Phillips have a competing pipeline going, which ensures prosperity for Alaskan residents. TransCanada was recently announced as 'the winner' though federal licenses, etc. must still be approved.

9. Just recently, last week, Palin signed an energy bill that will help Alaskan residents with skyrocketing energy costs. Highlights of the bill include refunds to eligible Alaska residents from the state's natural resources. It also suspends the state tax on gasoline, marine and aviation fuel. That's 8 cents less a gallon. It falls in line with McCain, who also has advocated eliminating the sales tax on gas. When signing the bill, she said, '“Conserving energy and using it more efficiently doesn’t necessarily mean you have to sacrifice your quality of life,” said Governor Palin. “It’s the little things, like making sure lights, computers and appliances are turned off – and slowing down on the road, which will save money spent on gasoline.'

10. As part of her commitment to cut spending, she cut her own salary as governor. How many politicians in DC are willing to do that?

11. She reduced property taxes by an average 40%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I can keep posting more if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    How is she bold, because she allegedly took a plane while in labor. Because she wants to drill, or because she hunts, hates polar bears, and like sports. Well, those aren't winners... I like sports, and guns..I am not a hunter, and she makes me want to join PETA, and I can't stand them. That's it she is there only for the sympathetic 'I'm a woman' vote for us, or you're a sexist' ploy.
    Read what I just posted to Fluffy. Her complete destruction of the 'old boy Republicans' in Alaska alone shows how she acquired the name, 'Sarahcuda' in high school.

For all the reform and change Obama has preached, Palin has DONE it.

And ploy? How many times have we heard, 'if you don't vote for Obama, you're a racist?'

2. As promised in her campaign, she sold the governor's office jet, citing it as a waste of money. It took three attempts, but it finally sold- on eBay. How does she get around Alaska? Either by commercial ariline or her own car. Oh, and she canceled the security detail that was to follow her every day to and from work.

I guess that answers how she got home from Texas when she was in "labor."

And ploy? How many times have we heard, 'if you don't vote for Obama, you're a racist?'
    If you don't vote for Obama, you're stupid, not a racist.

Read what I just posted to Fluffy. Her complete destruction of the 'old boy Republicans' in Alaska alone shows how she acquired the name, 'Sarahcuda' in high school.

For all the reform and change Obama has preached, Palin has DONE it.

You forgot to mention the part where she's under investigation and that she's tied to the oil companies through her husband. So, how much reform is that?

And your thread title was 'Brilliant trap makes Dems the male chauvinists.' And the 'you're racist if you don't vote Obama' card constantly gets thrown down by the people who don't want to vote for him.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information