Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John McCain: A noun, a verb and P.O.W

Default John McCain: A noun, a verb and P.O.W

By Andrew Gray Mon Aug 25,

BURBANK, California (Reuters)

John McCain, who often invokes his ordeal as a Vietnam war prisoner to show his devotion to his country as he runs for U.S. president, drew on the experience again on Monday -- this time to deflect sniping over the number of houses he owns

McCain's Democratic rival Barack Obama last week accused the Republican senator of being out of touch with ordinary people after he was unable to say in an interview how many houses were owned by him and his wife Cindy, a wealthy heiress to a beer distributorship.

In an appearance on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, McCain, 71, said his priority was to keep Americans in their homes in tough economic times.
    Then he recalled his Vietnam experience.

"I spent 5 1/2 years in a prison cell without -- I didn't have a house. I didn't have a kitchen table. I didn't have a table. I didn't have a chair," he said.

"I spent those 5 1/2 years ... not because I wanted to get a house when I got out."
    U.S. HOUSING WOES

Rising energy prices and the faltering economy have become central issues in the race for the White House. The next president will inherit problems including a mortgage crisis that has cost many Americans their homes.
    McCain said he was prepared to deal with that and sought to play down the controversy over his family's assets.

"I'm proud of my record of service to this country and it has nothing to do with houses. What it has to do with (is) putting Americans in houses and keeping them in their homes. And that's what I know how to do," he said to loud cheers from the studio audience.

On the show the Arizona senator listed four homes he and his wife have -- one in the Washington area, two in Arizona and one in California. Media reports and Democrats have said the couple have at least seven properties when investments are included.

McCain said he was proud of the way his wife's father had built up a large business after fighting in World War Two.
    With the Democrats engaged in their convention in Denver this week that will formally nominate Obama and the Republicans due to meet next week, polls show the two candidates locked in a dead heat in the popular vote. McCain predicted a tight finish in the November 4 election

Obama's house in the affluent Chicago neighborhood of Hyde Park is worth more than $1.5 million, and he has made millions from the publication of two autobiographical books.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

McCain said he was proud of the way his wife's father had built up a large business after fighting in World War Two.
    I guess McCain forgot to mention the part about how after his stint as a POW he dumped his wife when he got back and hooked up with Miss Moneybags, Cindy.

Gold Member

^^I read what happened with him and his first wife, and anytime I tell someone who is voting for him, don't believe and never heard of it. They never even knew he was married twice!

With the title, I thought it was some kind of dirty joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten89 View Post
    ^^I read what happened with him and his first wife, and anytime I tell someone who is voting for him, don't believe and never heard of it. They never even knew he was married twice!
    Because McCain keeps hiding behind the POW label. He knows that if people knew that he dumped his first wife, because she had gained some weight and was slightly disfigured after an accident, then he wouldn't be seen as the 'shining hero.'

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Because McCain keeps hiding behind the POW label. He knows that if people knew that he dumped his first wife, because she had gained some weight and was slightly disfigured after an accident, then he wouldn't be seen as the 'shining hero.'
    They can read it on wiki. But, really, is he any different than any other politician in DC and their track record with women?

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    They can read it on wiki. But, really, is he any different than any other politician in DC and their track record with women?
    How many people are going to go to wiki, though? And McCain's no different from a lot of politicians. But the thing is, when you run around waving the POW card, then you need to tell the truth about how you dumped your wife and traded up for a richer model after you were a POW.

How many people are going to go to wiki, though? And McCain's no different from a lot of politicians. But the thing is, when you run around waving the POW card, then you need to tell the truth about how you dumped your wife and traded up for a richer model after you were a POW.
    Well wiki is the number one source for info on the web!

I think McCain is slime for what he did years ago. But the whole use of the POW card isn't any different than Kerry's constant 'When I served in Vietnam' stuff from four years ago, or Rudy constantly using 9-11. Yes, we get it! And we know! The damn horse is dead already!

Well wiki is the number one source for info on the web!

I think McCain is slime for what he did years ago. But the whole use of the POW card isn't any different than Kerry's constant 'When I served in Vietnam' stuff from four years ago, or Rudy constantly using 9-11. Yes, we get it! And we know! The damn horse is dead already!
    But Kerry wasn't trying to make his military service the main talking point for his campaign the way McCain does with the POW issue. I mean, McCain tried to get out of the multiple house issue by throwing down the POW card. But I always find it interesting that the Republicans disregarded Kerry's service and 'swift-boated' him, but then four years later McCain's military service is suppose to be sacred.

And don't get me started on Rudy and riding 9/11.

But Kerry wasn't trying to make his military service the main talking point for his campaign the way McCain does with the POW issue. I mean, McCain tried to get out of the multiple house issue by throwing down the POW card. But I always find it interesting that the Republicans disregarded Kerry's service and 'swift-boated' him, but then four years later McCain's military service is suppose to be sacred.

And don't get me started on Rudy and riding 9/11.
    I beg to differ... Kerry made his service in Vietnam one of his key talking points, if not the biggest. And that's a two lane street: I don't get how liberals rallied behind Kerry's service and now pan McCain's.

Look, McCain using the POW issue about his homes is just stupid. No doubt about that. My point is, when candidates keep repeating what is the obvious to the American people, they tune out, or it becomes a mockery- like it was with Kerry back then, like it is now with McCain. Whoever their advisers are, they need a smack in the head.

And I know all about Rudy... we played the drinking game during the GOP debates... everytime Rudy said 9-11, we had to drink. We were drunk within 45 min. Did the same thing four years ago with Kerry and Vietnam. It was good fun.

I beg to differ... Kerry made his service in Vietnam one of his key talking points, if not the biggest. And that's a two lane street: I don't get how liberals rallied behind Kerry's service and now pan McCain's.

Look, McCain using the POW issue about his homes is just stupid. No doubt about that. My point is, when candidates keep repeating what is the obvious to the American people, they tune out, or it becomes a mockery- like it was with Kerry back then, like it is now with McCain. Whoever their advisers are, they need a smack in the head.
    Nobody's panning McCain's military service. He should be respected for that. However, McCain tries to build his entire campaign around it, as if being a POW somehow qualifies you to be commander-in-chief.

But I do agree with you that if candidates continue to repeat the same thing people begin to tune it out or make a mockery of it. But I think since McCain has backed Bush so much, he figures he has to keep playing the POW card, since Bush was a draft-dodger.

Nobody's panning McCain's military service. He should be respected for that. However, McCain tries to build his entire campaign around it, as if being a POW somehow qualifies you to be commander-in-chief.

But I do agree with you that if candidates continue to repeat the same thing people begin to tune it out or make a mockery of it. But I think since McCain has backed Bush so much, he figures he has to keep playing the POW card, since Bush was a draft-dodger.
    Draft dodger? Speaking of dead horses...

Draft dodger? Speaking of dead horses...
    Hey, when a draft-dodger starts an illegal war that horse ain't never gonna die.

Hey, when a draft-dodger starts an illegal war that horse ain't never gonna die.
    That's two now!

That's two now!
    Well, let's go for the trifecta. Bush is an alcoholic, retarded draft-dodger who started an illegal war.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information