Thread: Barack Obama spent more on ads in July than John McCain spent on election

Default Barack Obama spent more on ads in July than John McCain spent on election

Aug. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Barack Obama spent more on advertising last month than Republican rival John McCain spent on his campaign, new Federal Election Commission filings show.

Obama spent $57.2 million in July, including $33 million on advertising. McCain spent $32.4 million, with $18.7 million going for ads.

McCain entered August with slightly more money than Obama when funds in the bank accounts of the Republican and Democratic party committees are included.

McCain, 71, is taking federal funds for the general election and therefore must drain his campaign bank account by the end of August. He boosted his spending by more than $5 million over the previous month. In addition to his ad spending, he spent $5.2 million on printing and postage. He has now spent $150 million on his presidential campaign.

Obama's spending included $3 million on print and online advertisements. He has now spent $335.5 million on his campaign.

The Arizona senator reported a bank account balance of $21.4 million entering August in his FEC report released today. The Republican National Committee had $75.1 million in the bank, meaning that the party and the candidate had $96.5 million to spend. The RNC reported its first independent expenditures last month, spending $3.4 million against Obama.

Obama, 47, had $65.8 million in the bank, and the Democratic National Committee said it had $28.5 million, giving the candidate and his party more than $94 million.

Since sewing up the nomination, McCain has steadily increased his monthly fundraising haul. He brought in $26.2 million in July, including $5.5 million from a joint committee with the RNC, after raising $21.5 million in June. To date, he has raised more than $152 million, more than any other Republican presidential candidate ever except for President George W. Bush in 2004.

He received $2,300 apiece from vanquished Republican rival Mitt Romney and his wife Ann. Mitt Romney has been mentioned as a potential vice-presidential pick.

Even so, McCain's fundraising continued to trail Obama, who broke through the $50 million barrier for the second straight month and now has raised a record $390 million. Obama raised $50.3 million in July, including $12.6 million from a joint fundraising effort with the Democratic National Committee.

Obama, an Illinois senator, is not taking federal funds for the general election, the first major party nominee to shun the public money since the campaign finance system was overhauled for the 1976 elections as a result of the Watergate scandal.

McCain also raised $2.7 million to pay for legal and accounting costs incurred in the general election, bringing that fund's balance to $11.4 million.

Bloomberg.com: News
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Obama didn't get his money's worth, his ads have been mostly crap
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Maybe they should spend some of that money on stuff that makes a difference in this world.

^^ you should run. That's a better plan than either candidate has
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information