Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hillary Clinton is VP favorite among delegates

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Hillary Clinton is VP favorite among delegates

Clinton Is VP Favorite Among Delegates

Aug. 18, 2008

(CBS) Senator Hillary Clinton is by far the favorite choice for the number two spot on the Democratic ticket, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll of delegates to the Democratic convention. When asked who they would like Barack Obama to select, 28 percent volunteer her as their top choice for Vice Presidential nominee.

Six percent volunteer Delaware Senator Joe Biden, and four percent mention two other unsuccessful Democratic candidates: New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson and former North Carolina Senator John Edwards. [Most of the interviews for this poll were conducted before Edwards admitted to having an extramarital affair.] Another 4 percent volunteer Indiana Senator Evan Bayh.
    Other people mentioned by at least 2 percent of delegates as possible Obama running mates include retired General Wesley Clark, Virginia Governor Tim Kaine, Virginia Senator Jim Webb, and Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius.

Support for Clinton as the first choice for the vice-presidential nomination is not universal. It is mostly found among delegates who were pledged to her when selected. Sixty-one percent of delegates pledged to Clinton name her as their choice for vice presidential candidate.

Obama’s pledged delegates are less enthusiastic about the choice of Clinton as the vice presidential nominee. Eight percent of them choose Richardson, seven percent choose Biden, and another six percent choose John Edwards. Just percent name Clinton, and as just as many suggested Sebelius, Webb or Clark.

CBS News and The New York Times interviewed a random sample of 972 delegates to the convention, including both pledged delegates (who were committed to support a candidate when they were selected to attend the convention), and superdelegates, the party leaders and elected officials who can support any candidate they choose at any time.

Most delegates (61 percent) think Clinton’s selection would help Obama’s chances of winning the general election in November. Nearly all of those originally pledged to Clinton say this. Far fewer of Obama’s pledged delegates see the benefit from naming her. Thirty-five percent of Obama’s pledged delegates think having Clinton’s name on the ticket would help Obama win in November, 23 percent of them say choosing her would hurt.

Nearly half the superdelegates interviewed did not offer a VP pick. Clinton led among those who did - 20 percent named her. But 10 percent selected Biden, four percent named Edwards, five percent chose Bayh and three percent volunteered Richardson.

By more than five to one, superdelegates think putting Clinton on the ticket would help Obama win the election: 56 percent say she would help, 11 percent say she would hurt Obama’s chances. The rest are undecided or don’t think her candidacy would affect his chances of victory in November.

There is little difference between men and women delegates when it comes to a vice presidential choice: 27 percent of men and 30 percent of women volunteer Clinton’s name. There is also little difference by age.

In addition, about six in 10 women and a similar percentage of men say that Clinton’s name on the ticket would help Obama in the fall.

The CBS News/New York Times Delegate Poll was conducted July 16-August 17, 2008 with a random sample of 972 Democratic delegates. The error due to sampling could be plus or minus three percentage points for results based on the entire sample. Interviews were conducted via phone; if a delegate preferred, he or she could complete the survey online. Online interviewing was conducted by CfMC, a San Francisco-based research software company.

CBSNews.com: Print This Story

Elite Member

I think she's his best shot to actually win in November, 18,000,000 voters worth. But he's got to put her on the ticket before the convention, or it will look like he was forced to, after the roll call vote. Not to mention, with her upswing in popularity, BO stands a real chance of her getting more superdelegates. Remember, he didnt actually reach 1,600 in the primaries. Until/unless he gets the remainder in superdelegates, he is not yet the actual nominee, despite what the media is hyping. If she walks in and gets more super delegates at the roll call, then she's the nominee and he gets offered VP. He'd be smart to lock it up before the convention.

Yes, and since you copied and pasted this answer from another thread, i'll reiterate what i said:

The republicans would turn out in droves to vote against her.
    Last edited by Grimmlok; August 19th, 2008 at 08:09 AM.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Article so FILLLLLLLLLLED with bullshit! There is no way in hell Hillary is going to be the VP nominee, she's not on the short list and I get the feeling that Obama would rather have sloppy drunk sex with McCain on camera before he'd gladly embrace Hillary as his running mate. Hillary would kill his chances stone cold dead.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I think she's his best shot to actually win in November, 18,000,000 voters worth. But he's got to put her on the ticket before the convention, or it will look like he was forced to, after the roll call vote. Not to mention, with her upswing in popularity, BO stands a real chance of her getting more superdelegates. Remember, he didnt actually reach 1,600 in the primaries. Until/unless he gets the remainder in superdelegates, he is not yet the actual nominee, despite what the media is hyping. If she walks in and gets more super delegates at the roll call, then she's the nominee and he gets offered VP. He'd be smart to lock it up before the convention.
    That'll happen the same day Dubya is put on trial for war crimes.

Elite Member

W. should be tried for war crimes. I wouldnt go anywhere near the Hague if I were Georgie Boy. Kingcap, I'm sorry that my having an opinion different from yours so irritates you. I'm afraid you're going to have to put up with it unless W. manages to get the right to free speech repealed before November. Also, from the article above, the super delegates agree with me by a 5:1 margin. This will be a very interesting convention. So who do you think that BO will put up for VP? Or does the Messiah intend to run alone?

Probably better than having a cannonball chained to your neck with the name Hillary scrawled on it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

Who would be Obama's first choice for VP then?

I read somewhere that those 18 million voters don't exist for Hillary anymore, that when a meeting was called for her supporters, only 250 showed up. She isn't getting the VP pick, and Hillary's new found popularity came because she is gaining some favorable ground on those she turned off during the primary. And the article is BS its being fueled by the FEW of her supprters who are still hanging on...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

W. should be tried for war crimes. I wouldnt go anywhere near the Hague if I were Georgie Boy. Kingcap, I'm sorry that my having an opinion different from yours so irritates you. I'm afraid you're going to have to put up with it unless W. manages to get the right to free speech repealed before November. Also, from the article above, the super delegates agree with me by a 5:1 margin. This will be a very interesting convention. So who do you think that BO will put up for VP? Or does the Messiah intend to run alone?
    I have no problem with your opinion differing from mine, Scooter. In fact, I said as much in another thread. Nice try, though.

Below is the exchange you and I had on differing opinions in the Obama goes insane thread:

Kingcap I am the bluest of the blue. I feel sure there are many things we can agree on.

Scooter, we may not agree when it comes to Obama and Hillary, but I'm sure we'd agree on a lot of other things politically. Besides, it'd be boring if we agreed on everything. Where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by cheetopia View Post
    Article so FILLLLLLLLLLED with bullshit! There is no way in hell Hillary is going to be the VP nominee, she's not on the short list and I get the feeling that Obama would rather have sloppy drunk sex with McCain on camera before he'd gladly embrace Hillary as his running mate. Hillary would kill his chances stone cold dead.
    Good point.

Having HRC as VP is very risky. There are a lot of positives to come from it and negatives.

I think at the end of the day, he'd pick someone else. Hillary = too much baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Good point.

Having HRC as VP is very risky. There are a lot of positives to come from it and negatives.

I think at the end of the day, he'd pick someone else. Hillary = too much baggage.
    True. But the other reason why Obama can't pick Hillary is because he needs a VP to shore him up in his weakest areas like foreign policy and/or military experience. Hillary is weak in both of those areas too, so she can't help him there.

Its Bidden all the way. HRC does come with a great deal of baggage, and we haven't even thrown BC into the mix it..its a complete wash.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

He needs Biden, however he might end up with either Tim Kaine or Evan Byh (sic?).. volunteering with the campaign and married to a delegate here, supposedly we're going to hear before the media by a few minutes.

Elite Member

Biden said this morning 'I'm not the guy'. Also, today's Reuters poll shows McCain with a 5 point lead over Obama, in case anyone missed it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information