Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John McCain cheated on answers at evangelical forum

Thumbs down John McCain cheated on answers at evangelical forum

As you'll recall, Evangelical leader Rick Warren claimed last night that while Barack Obama was answering questions about his religious beliefs at the evangelical forum last night, John McCain was supposedly in a "cone of silence" where he couldn't hear, or be given, the questions in advance. In fact, this was a lie. McCain hadn't even arrived yet, and while McCain claims he didn't himself directly listen to the Obama (in order to find out the questions in advance), McCain isn't claiming yet that no one briefed him or in any way told him what Obama was asked. Like they didn't.

Jake Tapper at ABC, along with Ben Smith at Politico, has been some of the few journalists willing to ask obvious questions that the corporate media so often don't ask. Tapper is on the trail of the phony "cone of silence" from yesterday's religious forum, and the McCain campaign is looking increasingly shifty. Here's what Jake has to report:

Regarding the revelation that Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., was not in a "cone of silence" after all while Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, answered questions from Pastor Rick Warren, a couple points….

1) The McCain campaign's vitriol against NBC's Andrea Mitchell is odder still when you consider that the McCain campaign's blogger Michael Goldfarb was quoting her very same reporting approvingly as evidence that the Obama campaign was a bunch of whiners.

2) The McCain campaign's responses so far are entirely focused on McCain's geography and whether or not he himself could hear and see Obama being questioned.

To wit: McCain adviser Charlie Black told CNN, "We were in motorcade until 5:30 p.m. ET; then a holding room in another building with no TV."

Nothing that I've seen so far from the McCain campaign touches on whether or not any aides with McCain were getting reports on their Blackberries or cell phones on the questions Obama was getting and then sharing them with McCain.

- jpt

UPDATE: ABC News' Ron Claiborne, traveling with the McCain campaign, reports that McCain senior adviser Charlie Black would not say whether people around McCain while he was en route to Rick Warren's forum had access to blackberries and cell phones from which they could have tipped off Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., about the questions.

"There's no reason we would do that," was all Black would say, though quite obviously there is a reason.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    Well, at least he wasn't wearing a wire like Bush did.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

US election: Rick Davis chastised an NBC analyst's comments on Saturday night's presidential forum at Saddleback church

A senior adviser to John McCain is accusing NBC news of "irresponsible journalism" and bias against his candidate, a move designed to build on the Republican's well-received performance during a joint weekend appearance with Barack Obama.

In a letter to NBC news president Steve Capus, McCain campaign manager Rick Davis asked for a meeting to discuss his "deep concerns about the news standards and level of objectivity" at the network.

Davis chastised NBC analyst Andrea Mitchell for remarking that Obama aides were trying to quell talk of a McCain victory at Saturday night's Saddleback church forum, where the two candidates were quizzed on personal and moral concerns before a Christian evangelical audience.

"The Obama people must feel that he didn't do quite as well as they wanted to in that context," Mitchell said yesterday on the Meet the Press programme, "because what they are putting out privately is that McCain … may have had some ability to overhear what the questions were to Obama".

The suggestion that McCain had somehow cheated at Saddleback – although not endorsed by Mitchell and labelled as an opinion in the Obama camp – left Davis irate.

"We are extremely disappointed to see that the level of objectivity at NBC news has fallen so low that reporters are now giving voice to unsubstantiated, partisan claims in order to undercut John McCain," Davis wrote in his letter to Capus, sent late yesterday.

Davis's letter marks the third confrontation this year between NBC and a high-profile politician. Hillary Clinton backers accused the network of pro-Obama bias during the Democratic primary race this spring, and Clinton herself protested one NBC anchor's quip that daughter Chelsea was being "pimped out" on her mother's behalf.

The White House also complained to NBC this spring about the editing of a taped interview with George Bush, suggesting that the president's words had been taken out of context to portray animus against Obama on US-Iran relations.

The McCain-NBC dispute turns on whether the Republican nominee was able to overhear some of the questions that Saddleback forum moderator Rick Warren posed to Obama, who preceded McCain on stage at the televised event.

Warren, a popular evangelical pastor, told the audience that McCain was in a "cone of silence" during Obama's interview.

But news reports after the forum revealed the expression to be a figure of speech, leading some Obama supporters to question whether McCain had an advantage by anticipating some of the questions.

In fact, the website Politico.com reported today that both candidates had an advance warning of certain questions Warren asked.

Aiming to capitalise on the positive response to McCain's Saddleback performance, aides to the Republican nominee continue to maintain that he was in a private motorcade during Obama's interview with Warren and did not listen to the forum broadcast.

US election: McCain campaign manager claims US network favours Obama | World news | guardian.co.uk
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Certain questions, yes. Listening to your opponents answers? That's what he did.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The Republicans cheated at something, and then try to act pissy about it. I'm shocked.

Talk about projection

Sen. John McCain's (R-Ariz.) campaign manager Rick Davis asked Sunday for a meeting with Steve Capus, the president of NBC News, to protest what the campaign called signs that the network is "abandoning non-partisan coverage of the presidential race."

Davis made the request Sunday in a letter that is part of an aggressive effort by McCain to counter news coverage he considers critical.

In this case, the campaign is objecting to a statement by NBC's Andrea Mitchell on "Meet the Press" questioning whether McCain might have gotten a heads-up on some of the questions that were asked of Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), who was the first candidate to be interviewed Saturday night by Pastor Rick Warren at a presidential forum on faith.

Warren told the audience that McCain was being held in "a cone of silence" so he wouldn't hear the questions, which were similar for both candidates.

Warren referred again to "the cone of silence" when McCain came onstage, and the senator joked: "I was trying to hear through the wall."

Mitchell reported that some "Obama people" were suggesting "that McCain may not have been in the cone of silence and may have had some ability to overhear what the questions were to Obama. He seemed so well prepared."

A McCain aide said that is not the case: "Senator McCain was in a motorcade led by the United States Secret Service and held in a green room with no broadcast feed."

Mitchell made the comment in the context of saying McCain did better, and that the Obama camp was defensive. In response to the campaign's letter, she pointed out that journalists get criticism from both sides.

"I wasn't expressing an opinion," Mitchell said. "I was reporting what they were saying."

Here is the text of the letter:

August 17, 2008
    Mr. Steve Capus
    President, NBC News
    30 Rockefeller Plaza
    New York, NY 10112

Steve:

We are extremely disappointed to see that the level of objectivity at NBC News has fallen so low that reporters are now giving voice to unsubstantiated, partisan claims in order to undercut John McCain.

Nowhere was this more evident than with NBC chief correspondent Andrea Mitchell's comments on "Meet the Press" this morning. In analyzing last night's presidential forum at Saddleback Church, Mitchell expressed the Obama campaign spin that John McCain could only have done so well last night because he "may not have been in the cone of silence and may have had some ability to overhear what the questions were to Obama." Here are Andrea Mitchell's comments in full:

Mitchell: "The Obama people must feel that he didn't do quite as well as they might have wanted to in that context, because what they are putting out privately is that McCain may not have been in the cone of silence and may have had some ability to overhear what the questions were to Obama. He seemed so well-prepared." (NBC's "Meet The Press," 8/17/08)

Make no mistake: This is a serious charge. Andrea Mitchell is repeating, uncritically, a completely unsubstantiated Obama campaign claim that John McCain somehow cheated in last night's forum at Saddleback Church. Instead of trying to substantiate this blatant falsehood in any way, Andrea Mitchell felt that she needed to repeat it on air to millions of "Meet the Press" viewers with no indication that 1.) There's not one shred of evidence that it's true; 2.) In his official correspondence to both campaigns, Pastor Rick Warren provided both candidates with information regarding the topic areas to be covered, which Barack Obama acknowledged during the forum when asked about Pastor Warren's idea of an emergency plan for orphans and Obama said, "I cheated a little bit. I actually looked at this idea ahead of time, and I think it is a great idea;" 3.) John McCain actually requested that he and Barack Obama do the forum together on stage at the same time, making these kinds of after-the-fact complaints moot.

Indeed, instead of taking a critical journalistic approach to this spin, Andrea Mitchell did what has become a pattern for her of simply repeating Obama campaign talking points.

This is irresponsible journalism and sadly, indicative of the level of objectivity we have witnessed at NBC News this election cycle. Instead of examining the Obama campaign's spin for truth before reporting it to more than 3 million NBC News viewers, Andrea Mitchell simply passed along Obama campaign conspiracy theories. The fact is that during Senator Obama's segment at Saddleback last night, Senator McCain was in a motorcade to the event and then held in a green room with no broadcast feed. In the forum, John McCain clearly demonstrated to the American people that he is prepared to be our next President.....

We are concerned that your News Division is following MSNBC's lead in abandoning non-partisan coverage of the Presidential race. We would like to request a meeting with you as soon as possible to discuss our deep concerns about the news standards and level of objectivity at NBC.

Sincerely,

Rick Davis
    Campaign Manager
    John McCain 2008

McCain protests NBC coverage - Mike Allen - Politico.com

Like anyone would even need to cheat.

It's not hard to know what evangelicals want to hear. God, god, god, no abortion, god, god, god.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Like Republicans don't cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Like Republicans don't cheat.

of course they do...but so do dems...see the 1960 election....2000 was just deserved payback

yeah, i don't think Bush winning an election is a reasonable and measured response to anything LOL

The insinuation from the Obama campaign that John McCain, a former prisoner of war, cheated is outrageous"
    John Aravosis (DC) · 8/18/2008 01:15:00 PM ET · Link
    Make a comment · reddit · FARK · Digg It!

In fact, the "former prisoner of war," after his release, cheated on his wife, and cheated during the Keating Five Scandal. I know, it's not "nice" to mention these things, but where does the McCain campaign come off claiming that John McCain's POW status makes him exempt from "cheating" when he has cheated repeatedly since the time of his POW experience? Is this what we have to look forward to for the next 3 months? Every time someone has a tough question for John McCain, he's going to invoke his POW years to effectively shut down the question, even when the question has nothing to do with national security? And will the corporate media call McCain on this?

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    He has a point

Hit By Ban Bus!

A senior adviser to John McCain is accusing NBC news of "irresponsible journalism" and bias against his candidate
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouKJixL--ms[/youtube][YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjYpkvcmog0[/YOUTUBE]

It turns out that the Rev. Rick Warren gave both Senators Barack Obama and John McCain an advance look at some of the questions he posed to them on Saturday night at the Saddleback Church forum in California, according to church officials.

A spokesman for Mr. Warren, A. Larry Ross, said that Mr. Warren, founding pastor of Saddleback, had assured both candidates in advance that he was not going to play “gotcha” with them. He gave them some of the questions, Mr. Ross said, because he wanted to put them at ease and alleviate any concern that the forum would be a “Christian litmus-test” for president.

The Saddleback event was the closest the two candidates have come to a joint appearance since they became the presumptive nominees of their parties. They were interviewed separately — Mr. Obama first, by a coin toss — and were not on stage at the same time except for a brief handshake and hug between their interviews.

On Thursday night, Mr. Ross said, Mr. Warren told Mr. Obama three of the questions he would be asking: What is your greatest moral failing? What is America’s greatest moral failing? And who are the three people you rely on most for wise advice?

On Friday, Mr. Warren gave the same three questions to Mr. McCain.

Mr. Warren also told them the general categories of the questions, some of the broad themes and that he would also be asking about their tax policies.

In addition, Mr. Ross said, Mr. Warren later told Mr. Obama that he would be asking him another question: whether he would support the church’s emergency project for orphans.

When Mr. Warren did ask Mr. Obama about it during the forum, Mr. Obama noted: “I cheated a little bit. I actually looked at this idea ahead of time and I think it is a — I think it’s a great idea.”

Mr. Ross said Mr. Warren had hoped to tell Mr. McCain about the orphan project in advance but said he did not have time. But this is a well-trod subject for Mr. McCain. When Mr. Warren asked him about it during the forum, he answered by telling a story he tells all the time, that his wife, Cindy, adopted their youngest daughter from an orphanage in Bangladesh.

Mr. Warren did not share with his audience — of more than 2,200 in the church and millions watching and listening to the live television broadcasts, radio programs and streaming on the Internet — that he had alerted the candidates to any of the questions in advance.

But he did tell them that Mr. McCain was in a “cone of silence” while Mr. Obama was being interviewed, suggesting he would not have been able to hear any of the questions or answers. He referred to this cone twice, saying first that while he was interviewing Mr. Obama, “we have safely placed Senator McCain in a cone of silence.”

After Mr. Obama left and Mr. McCain sat down for his interview, Mr. Warren started by asking Mr. McCain, “Now, my first question: Was the cone of silence comfortable that you were in just now?”

Mr. McCain deadpanned, “I was trying to hear through the wall.”

But Mr. McCain was not in a “cone of silence.” His aides told The New York Times that he was in his motorcade, en route to the church, during the first half of Mr. Obama’s interview.

Some of Mr. Obama’s allies had found Mr. McCain’s performance surprisingly good and had suggested that he had received word of the questions and possibly Mr. Obama’s answers in advance.

The McCain campaign heatedly denied that Mr. McCain had done anything wrong.

“The insinuation from the Obama campaign that John McCain, a former prisoner of war, cheated is outrageous,” Nicolle Wallace, a spokeswoman for Mr. McCain, told The Times.

The McCain campaign also sent a statement to Saddleback, which Mr. Ross made available to The Times.

The McCain statement said: “The insinuation suggests that the Obama campaign is grasping at falsehoods. The facts are that Senator McCain was in a motorcade led by the United States Secret Service and held in a green room with no broadcast feed. Last night, Senator McCain demonstrated to the American people that he is prepared to be the next president. Senator McCain never heard or saw any of Senator Obama’s appearance.”

Mr. Ross said that Mr. Warren had used the phrase “cone of silence” in the metaphoric sense.

As for providing them some questions in advance, Mr. Ross said that having a church hold such a forum, particularly in advance of the presidential debates, was a new step in presidential politics and Mr. Warren wanted to make sure it went well.

“Pastor Rick saw his job as setting up the ball up at the net so the candidates could spike it,” Mr. Ross said. “He wanted to set them at ease.”

Mr. Warren is to appear live tonight on FOX’s Hannity at 9 p.m. and with Larry King on CNN at 9:15 p.m. ABC’s “Nightline” will be airing a taped segment about Saddleback at 11:35 p.m.

The forum is generating intense interest in the blogosphere. Check out this discussion on belief.net.

And here’s an interesting snippet from belief.net’s God-o-Meterblog, which interviews Mr. Warren:
    Q: Some Obama supporters are claiming that McCain saw the questions before the forum began, giving him a leg up on Obama.

Mr. Warren: They’re dead wrong. That’s just sour grapes. They both did fantastically well. The only question he knew, I gave them the first question and I was changing the questions within an hour [before the forum began.] I talked to both of them a week before the debate and told them all the themes. I talked personally to John McCain and I talked personally to Barack Obama. I said, ’We’ll talk about leadership, talk about the roles of government,’ I said I’d probably have a question about climate change, probably a question on the courts. I didn’t say, ‘I’m going to ask which Supreme Court justice would you not [nominate].’ They were clearly not prepared for that.
    Who Knew What When? - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

again, it's not about the questions.. it's about McSame LISTENING TO OBAMA'S ANSWERS before he got to the thing

nope, it's about excuses for being outperformed at the event...

*snorts* outperformed by McSame? Hardly.

He cheated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information