Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Democrats brace for Barack Obama's VP pick via text mail this week

Default Democrats brace for Barack Obama's VP pick via text mail this week

You got VP mail: Democrats brace for Obama pick
    asociated press
    US political junkies will be casting nervous glances at their mobile phones this week, with Democratic White House pick Barack Obama promising to name his running mate by text message and email.

In an unprecedented move, the Obama campaign says it will first reveal his choice of vice presidential nominees not to the political media pack, but to the two million supporters who have bankrolled his tilt at history.
    Many observers think the Illinois Senator could make his pick as soon as this week, to give him time to showcase his presidential ticket before the Democratic National Convention between August 25 and 28 in Denver, Colorado.
    Republican John McCain is also mulling his choice of vice presidential nominee, and could spring a surprise this week, or wait until just before the Republican convention, between September 1 and 4.
    Both candidates have holes in their political resumes they need to plug, and making the right choice is vitally important.
    Obama, 47, has said he does not want merely a ceremonial vice president, but is seeking an integral cog in his governing machine.
    "I'm not interested in a vice president who I send off to go to funerals," he told NBC television last month.
    "I want somebody who is going to roll up their sleeves and be willing to work."
    Republican McCain meanwhile, who would be 72, and the oldest president ever inaugurated for a first term next January, may be looking for some youth.
    "I am aware of the enhanced importance of this issue given my age," McCain said back April.
    As the 'VP' stakes heat up Obama and McCain campaign teams are scouring financial records and personal histories of potential picks for any hidden scandal.
    Conventional wisdom has it that a vice presidential candidate must reflect the core message behind their boss's campaign, or make up for his political deficiencies.
    And since the 'VP' is popularly seen as a heartbeat away from the presidency McCain and Obama must also think the unthinkable -- ensure that their number two is fit to serve in the event of their demise.
    Since Obama is short of national security experience, he may opt for a veteran political hand.
    For Obama, Senator Joseph Biden, former senator Sam Nunn, or even ex United Nations ambassador Bill Richardson might be a fit, but picking an establishment figure might undercut his vow to reform Washington's clogged political system.
    Or, the Illinois senator might chose to compliment his youthful message, emulating Bill Clinton, who picked Al Gore in 1992.
    Virginia governor Tim Kaine is from middle America, speaks fluent Spanish and may be able to help deliver his southern swing state, which Obama is targeting.

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland, or Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell, who both delivered their states to Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary, are long-shots and both say they will not accept if asked.
    When Clinton admitted defeat in the Democratic nominating race against Obama in June, she signaled she might accept the number two spot.
    But "dream ticket" talk has since faded, with Clinton seen as a symptom of the "old politics" Obama vows to change.
    Should Obama wish to chose a woman nevertheless, he could go for Kathleen Sebelius, 60, a governor who has cross-partisan appeal in the traditionally Republican state of Kansas.
    Or he may give the nod to Indiana senator Evan Bayh, a strong Clinton supporter, who is seen as having appeal to white conservative Democrats, and some national security expertise.
    Some pundits believe McCain may try to balance his ticket with a much younger running mate.
    That could be good news for Tim Pawlenty, 47, governor of Minnesota, who could help McCain with the powerful Christian conservative block.
    Florida is also a prize, so speculation is surrounding the state's governor Charlie Crist, who is young, popular and has a formidable political machine.
    As Obama tries to portray McCain as illiterate on economics, the Republican might be tempted to shore up his credentials on the number one campaign issue.
    That has brought former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, 61, into the frame. Another 'safe' economic pair of hands might be former congressman and US trade representative Rob Portman, who hails from Ohio, a state McCain must have in his column if he is to win the White House in November.

I think this is a bit brilliant on his behalf, especially if he doesn't want to wait until the DNC Convention to do it..but at the same time he doesn't want to overshadow or be overshadowed by the Olympics. I donated, and I have been on the texting list since Super Tuesday..so I'm covered!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

^^Well, you know as soon as you get that text you need to share the news.

Indeed....you know I have GR covered! After I forward it, of course!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

^^Cool.

I'm so excited for this. I swear I Google 'Obama VP' nightly, hoping something will break.

I wanna know already!!!!

And I hope he makes an interesting, surprise pick, not someone vanilla and boring like Bayh or Kaine.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    I think this is a bit brilliant on his behalf, especially if he doesn't want to wait until the DNC Convention to do it..but at the same time he doesn't want to overshadow or be overshadowed by the Olympics. I donated, and I have been on the texting list since Super Tuesday..so I'm covered!
    I don't think you even have to donate to get the text. I signed up for it without donating $$.

Elite Member

His VP pick is critical. Unfortunately there's a good chance Obama will be the target of an assasination attempt if he's elected. There are a lot of racists out there. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    His VP pick is critical. Unfortunately there's a good chance Obama will be the target of an assasination attempt if he's elected. There are a lot of racists out there. Just sayin'
    Another reason why Hillary can't be VP, because if something happened to Obama, she'd be the prime suspect. But the VP choices are key for Obama and McCain, because of possible assassination attempts on Obama and McCain's advanced age.

mebbe Hill can teach Obama how to dodge bullets bosnia style...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^Hillary Clinton: Tomb Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    mebbe Hill can teach Obama how to dodge bullets bosnia style...

I'm sure she can....right after he teaches her about the time machine his parents used to go back in time after the Selma march.

'It gave them the courage to get married and have a child' even though Selma was in 1965 and he was born in 1961.....

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Oh no, someone got a date wrong instead of fabricating someting out of thin air.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

of course, when he does it it's a mistake....when she does it it's a lie...

The Selma story was a lie told to pander to a crowd Selma....

he lies, she lies.....it's a job requirement

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

When she does it, it's a lie. When she is told it's a lie, she repeats the lie 4 or 5 times anyway. Then she makes up excuses when people don't buy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information