Thread: Poll: Nearly half of those polled hearing too much about Barack Obama

Default Poll: Nearly half of those polled hearing too much about Barack Obama

Poll: Nearly half hearing too much about Obama - Yahoo! News

(Hey he's my man but even he is not immune to overexposure and being way too confident)

Barack Obama may be the fresh face in this year's presidential election, but nearly half say they're already tired of hearing about him, a poll says.
    With Election Day still three months away, 48 percent said they're hearing too much about the Democratic candidate, according to a poll released Wednesday by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center. Just 26 percent said the same about his Republican rival, John McCain.
    Obama, the 47-year-old Illinois senator who would become the first black president, has dominated political news coverage much of the year. According to an ongoing Pew study, Obama has appeared in more news stories this year and more people say they have heard more about him than McCain, the longtime Arizona senator who also ran for president in 2000.
    Two-thirds of Republicans and about half of independents said they've heard too much about Obama, as did a third of Democrats, a significant number.
    At the same time, nearly four in 10 said they've been hearing too little about McCain — about four times the number who said so about Obama. About half of Republicans, four in 10 independents and even a quarter of Democrats said they've not heard enough about the GOP candidate.
    The poll was conducted from Aug. 1-4 and involved telephone interviews with 1,004 adults. It had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

I can understand people getting tired of hearing about Obama, since the media coverage of him is in heavy rotation. But, on the other hand, if McCain was half as interesting maybe somebody would want to cover him, too.

I am included in that percentage.

I hope he falls off the face of the earth soon, very soon.

I am tired of hearing about him 24/7 too, even though I like a lot of his ideas, it's getting to be a little too much. It's like they're shoving him down our throats. It's unfortunate because it really could backfire. This isn't to say heavy McCain coverage would be good either, but I'd like to see it even out because media bias sucks. Let voters decide things for themselves.

You know there's something wrong when 1/3 of democrats say they're sick of hearing about a democratic candidate, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I am included in that percentage.

I hope he falls off the face of the earth soon, very soon.
    RACIST!

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Bronze Member

There is such a thing as being overexposed and I think that is what people are tired of. If the coverage of McCain had been what Obama's has been, people would be sick of McCain too. The Media better listen up to this poll and start giving us more balanced coverage.

Funny, because Obama is what even John McCain ever talks about! How counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Funny, because Obama is what even John McCain ever talks about! How counterproductive.
    Ironic, isn't it? McCain spends more time bitching about Obama than talking about the issues. I guess he's got 'Obama-fever', too.

But, on one hand, I understand why the media is focusing on Obama. Because whether people want to admit it or not, Obama's candidacy, and potential presidency, are historic moments. If they weren't the media wouldn't be focusing on him so much. And, make no mistake, if Hillary was the nominee, she'd be getting more coverage than McCain, too, because of the historical implications.

^^That and, John McCain is as interesting as watching paint dry. I wonder would he compare Martin Luther King Jr. to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton too, because of the crowds he drew as well when he gave the 'I Have A Dream' speech at the Lincoln Memorial? Cause he was fond of showing footage of the thousands of people listening to Obama speak.

I've got to say though, some Obama followers treat him as a God, and it's a bit ridiculous. There's being enthusiastic, and there's going overboard. The New York magazine cover for example. It's satire, it's making fun of the media thoughts/fears/criticism on Obama and you've got the general public thinking its 'racist' and thinking it's apart of it! If it was Bush or McCain, it wouldn't have been anything. Obama is not immune, pardoned or excluded (for lack of a better word) to political parodies just because he's smarter/better (by far) than others. Most of them are positive anyway. Whens the last time you remember a pro political cartoon of a candidate??
    Last edited by bychance; August 6th, 2008 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    ^^That and, John McCain is as interesting as watching paint dry. I wonder would he compare Martin Luther King Jr. to Britney Spears and Paris Hilton too, because of the crowds he drew as well when he gave the 'I Have A Dream' speech at the Lincoln Memorial? Cause he was fond of showing footage of the thousands of people listening to Obama speak.

I've got to say though, some Obama followers treat him as a God, and it's a bit ridiculous. There's being enthusiastic, and there's going overboard. The New York magazine cover for example. It's satire, it's making fun of the media thoughts/fears/criticism on Obama and you've got the general public thinking its 'racist' and thinking it's apart of it! If it was Bush or McCain, it wouldn't have been anything. Obama is not immune, pardoned or excluded (for lack of a better word) to political parodies just because he's smarter/better (by far) than others. Most of them are positive anyway. Whens the last time you remember a pro political cartoon of a candidate??
    McCain can't help being boring. That's just who he is.

And it is crazy for some people to treat Obama, or any politician, like their God. And if you want to see some funny parodies of Obama you should check the Madtv ones on youtube. Hysterical.
    Last edited by kingcap72; August 7th, 2008 at 01:58 AM.

McCain's interesting... Enough, to keep an eye on his daily gaffes and fuck ups. Enough to make sure he isn't pulling an 'illegitimate black' baby stunt ala Rove!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Thread Information