Thread: Barack Obama caves on offshore oil drilling

Default Barack Obama caves on offshore oil drilling

Obama flip-flops on offshore oil drilling

Offshore oil drilling plays well to US voters, but the plan is environmentally irresponsible and won't lower fuel prices

On Friday, saying it was time for a compromise on the energy issue, presidential hopeful Barack Obama voiced his tentative support for a bipartisan proposal calling for the expansion of offshore oil drilling, along with the development of alternative fuels and more efficient motor vehicles. Soon after, Obama implied that his willingness to allow the drilling in Florida "wasn't really a new position". But, of course, it is.

As recently as late June, he said that, in order to protect the US coastline, he would enforce a drilling moratorium that has been in place since 1981. (Democratic leaders and environmentalists have supported that ban for years.) What's not new: Obama's interest in working with Republicans to move the country toward greater energy independence, and his eagerness to appease voters. That's why he made a gesture that many of them believe would lower prices at the pump.

While I've been or more less accepting of Obama's float toward the centre as a political imperative as the election gets closer, this is one move I can't support. Reversing his position on campaign financing, for example, is one thing - a tactic that upset some of his supporters but won't necessarily have any kind of permanent or global repercussions. Offshore drilling, on the other hand, is sure to contaminate marine life and the water along Florida's coast, produce a number of small oil spills and, ultimately, contribute to the problem of global warming. A catastrophic oil spill is also a possibility.

Now, it's true that Obama said that any compromise he would agree to would have to involve "a careful, well thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage" - which sounds pretty, doesn't it? Too bad the reality is much uglier.

"There is no such thing as environmentally friendly drilling," says Greenpeace USA spokesperson Michael Crocker. After noting that damage to drills caused between seven and nine million gallons of oil to be spilled during Hurricanes Rita and Katrina, Crocker says: "There's a real irony when it comes to offshore drilling. It's done so we can get more oil in the hopes of reducing gas prices. In the meantime, we keep burning fossil fuels, which causes more global warming, which leads to more hurricanes, which lead to more oil lost in spills - and yet, drilling does almost nothing to alleviate the cost of gasoline."

Why doesn't it? "There's simply not very much oil on America's shorelines," he says. "Government studies have indicated that it will take a decade for any offshore drilling to pay off even minimally - and even then, prices will only be reduced by a few cents per gallon."

It's irresponsible of Obama to be cavalier about an issue that is of so much importance to the environmental health of the country, and the world. He should have stuck to his guns and insisted on finding cleaner alternatives that would truly make the US energy independent, instead of trying to placate short-sighted American car owners.

To be fair, Obama did point out that it was "important to recognise if you start drilling now you won't see a drop of oil for 10 years, which means it's not going to have a significant impact on short-term prices. Every expert agrees on that." And yet, that's really the fine print. What most voters will be paying attention to are the headlines announcing his willingness to let offshore drilling move forward - as I'm sure he and his strategists know.

And of course, most voters don't care about contaminating the shoreline. According to a Rasmussen poll released on July 29, 57% percent of Americans favour offshore drilling (only 29% are opposed). And why is that? Because nearly the same number - 56% - believe gas prices would be likely to fall if the ban is lifted.

So while Obama is wrong to waver on this issue - he's punting on his duty as a public steward - voters are wrong, too. Many Americans might be willing to watch the new "green" cable channel, eat organics and recycle (although not in Houston, Texas), but they've got to start supporting the environmental movement in truly meaningful ways, not just trendy ones.

They should start by getting over fuel prices and realising that one of the things we're paying for at the pump is our role in accelerating the pace of global warming. What voters should be clamouring for is not cheaper gas, but a truly longterm and sustainable solution - one that emphasises new, clean forms of energy and fuel-efficient transportation alternatives.

Maura Kelly: Barack Obama caves on offshore oil drilling | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Did we need any more proof that these two are more similar than they are different.....I wonder if Obama will now bitchslap himself

John McCain flip-flops on offshore oil drilling, Barack Obama bitchslaps him for it

John McCain flip-flops on offshore oil drilling, and is an idiot to boot

John McCain flip-flips on oil drilling, sees oil campaign donations skyrocket
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

"They should start by getting over fuel prices and realising that one of the things we're paying for at the pump is our role in accelerating the pace of global warming. What voters should be clamouring for is not cheaper gas, but a truly longterm and sustainable solution - one that emphasises new, clean forms of energy and fuel-efficient transportation alternatives."

I completely agree with you. Finding more oil is a short term solution.

Finding more oil isn't even that, considering it'll take 20 years to show anything. in 20 years we could have something else.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Regardless of the drill/don't drill debate....Obama has changed to a position he criticized and spoke out against........

Just for some votes.....

Politics as usual......We will be getting exactly what we've always gotten, no matter which party gets in
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Finding more oil isn't even that, considering it'll take 20 years to show anything. in 20 years we could have something else.

You are exactly right! Why is our country so obsessed with oil? In 100 years it will all be gone anyway. What do we do then? We need to be proactive about our energy needs.

SVZ

My friends have been saying it really doesn't matter whether McCain or Obama wins...there really won't be that many important differences.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by KS71 View Post
    You are exactly right! Why is our country so obsessed with oil? In 100 years it will all be gone anyway. What do we do then? We need to be proactive about our energy needs.
    It could be gone years ago! The electric car has been invented.

They created on in Canada...wanna know why it was street illegal? Beacause it was TOO fast and had TOO much power!

Normally engines work through an axle system, but with the electric car they put the engines directly behind the wheels, almost 100% transfer of torque

Hit By Ban Bus!

The next generation of electrics is right around the corner so why not subsidize the electric car industry to boost production rather than drilling more holes?

I can't believe Obama is giving in to the drilling pressure when its obvious it'll never solve anything.

I'd rather see tax breaks for buying one of these:

Tesla Motors

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Obama flip-flops on offshore oil drilling

Offshore oil drilling plays well to US voters, but the plan is environmentally irresponsible and won't lower fuel prices

On Friday, saying it was time for a compromise on the energy issue, presidential hopeful Barack Obama voiced his tentative support for a bipartisan proposal calling for the expansion of offshore oil drilling, along with the development of alternative fuels and more efficient motor vehicles. Soon after, Obama implied that his willingness to allow the drilling in Florida "wasn't really a new position". But, of course, it is.

As recently as late June, he said that, in order to protect the US coastline, he would enforce a drilling moratorium that has been in place since 1981. (Democratic leaders and environmentalists have supported that ban for years.) What's not new: Obama's interest in working with Republicans to move the country toward greater energy independence, and his eagerness to appease voters. That's why he made a gesture that many of them believe would lower prices at the pump.

While I've been or more less accepting of Obama's float toward the centre as a political imperative as the election gets closer, this is one move I can't support. Reversing his position on campaign financing, for example, is one thing - a tactic that upset some of his supporters but won't necessarily have any kind of permanent or global repercussions. Offshore drilling, on the other hand, is sure to contaminate marine life and the water along Florida's coast, produce a number of small oil spills and, ultimately, contribute to the problem of global warming. A catastrophic oil spill is also a possibility.

Now, it's true that Obama said that any compromise he would agree to would have to involve "a careful, well thought-out drilling strategy that was carefully circumscribed to avoid significant environmental damage" - which sounds pretty, doesn't it? Too bad the reality is much uglier.

"There is no such thing as environmentally friendly drilling," says Greenpeace USA spokesperson Michael Crocker. After noting that damage to drills caused between seven and nine million gallons of oil to be spilled during Hurricanes Rita and Katrina, Crocker says: "There's a real irony when it comes to offshore drilling. It's done so we can get more oil in the hopes of reducing gas prices. In the meantime, we keep burning fossil fuels, which causes more global warming, which leads to more hurricanes, which lead to more oil lost in spills - and yet, drilling does almost nothing to alleviate the cost of gasoline."

Why doesn't it? "There's simply not very much oil on America's shorelines," he says. "Government studies have indicated that it will take a decade for any offshore drilling to pay off even minimally - and even then, prices will only be reduced by a few cents per gallon."

It's irresponsible of Obama to be cavalier about an issue that is of so much importance to the environmental health of the country, and the world. He should have stuck to his guns and insisted on finding cleaner alternatives that would truly make the US energy independent, instead of trying to placate short-sighted American car owners.

To be fair, Obama did point out that it was "important to recognise if you start drilling now you won't see a drop of oil for 10 years, which means it's not going to have a significant impact on short-term prices. Every expert agrees on that." And yet, that's really the fine print. What most voters will be paying attention to are the headlines announcing his willingness to let offshore drilling move forward - as I'm sure he and his strategists know.

And of course, most voters don't care about contaminating the shoreline. According to a Rasmussen poll released on July 29, 57% percent of Americans favour offshore drilling (only 29% are opposed). And why is that? Because nearly the same number - 56% - believe gas prices would be likely to fall if the ban is lifted.

So while Obama is wrong to waver on this issue - he's punting on his duty as a public steward - voters are wrong, too. Many Americans might be willing to watch the new "green" cable channel, eat organics and recycle (although not in Houston, Texas), but they've got to start supporting the environmental movement in truly meaningful ways, not just trendy ones.

They should start by getting over fuel prices and realising that one of the things we're paying for at the pump is our role in accelerating the pace of global warming. What voters should be clamouring for is not cheaper gas, but a truly longterm and sustainable solution - one that emphasises new, clean forms of energy and fuel-efficient transportation alternatives.

Maura Kelly: Barack Obama caves on offshore oil drilling | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Did we need any more proof that these two are more similar than they are different.....I wonder if Obama will now bitchslap himself

John McCain flip-flops on offshore oil drilling, Barack Obama bitchslaps him for it

John McCain flip-flops on offshore oil drilling, and is an idiot to boot

John McCain flip-flips on oil drilling, sees oil campaign donations skyrocket

He said he would be willing to compromise on Offshore Drilling, if it was apart of a Comprehensive Energy Plan...not the only plan. I wish folks would watch the speech he gave instead of taking someone else's word!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Silver Member

Cool

snuffy is a member of those rich people who make too much
    you need to pay more taxes

no tax breaks for a $109,000 plus electric car

i prefer those damn cute smart cars

Hit By Ban Bus!

^if I had enough $ to buy a Tesla think I'd be posting here?

I'd be living on some Beach in the Caymans.

Yeah, Obama flip-flopped on off-shore drilling. Partially.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It'll bounce off him.

^^Pooty Tang!!

OMG Pooty Tang..LMAO.

Thread Information