Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nancy Pelosi advises Dems 'drill for votes'

Default Nancy Pelosi advises Dems 'drill for votes'

California Democrat Nancy Pelosi may be trying to save the planet — but the rank and file in her party increasingly are just trying to save their political hides when it comes to gas prices as Republicans apply more and more rhetorical muscle.

But what looks like intraparty tension on the surface is part of an intentional strategy in which Pelosi takes the heat on energy policy, while behind the scenes she’s encouraging vulnerable Democrats to express their independence if it helps them politically, according to Democratic aides on and off Capitol Hill.

Pelosi’s gambit rests on one big assumption: that Democrats will own Washington after the election and will be able to craft a sweeping energy policy that is heavy on conservation and fuel alternatives while allowing for some new oil drilling. Democrats see no need to make major concessions on energy policy with a party poised to lose seats in both chambers in just three months — even if recess-averse Republicans continue to pound away on the issue.

“The reality is we will have a new president in three months, and what Bush and the Republicans are trying to do amounts to a land grab for the oil companies,” said one senior House Democratic aide involved with party strategy. “I don’t think we have to give in at all pre-election — we have many more options postelection.”

It’s a reality that Rep. Nick J. Rahall (D-W.Va.) personally delivered to President Bush recently.

Rahall spent more than an hour last week talking to the president about energy. Bush spent the entire flight aboard Air Force One, and much of a subsequent limousine ride, grilling the West Virginia Democrat about legislative solutions to the high price of gasoline, Rahall said last week.

So, does the president think Congress can get anything done this year?

“No,” Rahall replied in a short interview with Politico. “He’s realistic about it.”

Asked if Congress will produce a comprehensive energy bill in September before Congress adjourns again for elections, Rahall replied, “This year? No.”

Instead, the chairman of the House Committee on Natural Resources believes Democrats are all about 2009.

“We’ve laid the groundwork this year,” Rahall said.

Democratic House aides say the energy agenda has been carefully gamed out in strategy sessions, and Pelosi always intended to take heat on gas prices while tacitly encouraging more vulnerable Democrats to publicly disagree with her and show their independence.

Freshman Democrats like Jason Altmire of Pennsylvania and Don Cazayoux of Louisiana have taken her up on the offer.

Altmire has said a drilling vote “will happen,” while Cazayoux, hoping to hang on to his seat in a conservative Baton Rouge-area district, on Friday sent a letter to Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) demanding a vote on more domestic oil exploration.

“There will be a vote,” said Altmire, who faces a rematch with former GOP Rep. Melissa Hart this fall in the Pittsburgh suburbs.

Indeed, Congress must vote before Sept. 30 to renew the annual moratorium; otherwise, it will lapse on its own, giving states the right to decide whether private companies can search for potential drilling sites three miles offshore. .

“My view is that if we have a vote, let’s make it a rational policy,” said Altmire, whose district includes viable coal and nuclear industries. “We can’t let Republicans hold this issue hostage because of one vote.”

Cazayoux, in his letter, says “the current debate seems to be bogged down in partisan one-upmanship.”

To some extent, House Republicans seem to be playing right along with the strategy, taking Pelosi’s name in vain dozens of times during their rebel House sessions over the past few days and making her the villain who won’t allow oil drilling votes.

“It’s grossly unfair to the Democrats who want a vote,” said Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas). “[Pelosi] needs to cut that out.”

The Senate has also gone with a run-out-the-clock strategy, with Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) calling for a bipartisan energy summit but promising no major energy votes. Reid embraced the drilling and conservation proposals of the bipartisan Senate “Gang of 10” last week, but he made further commitment on the energy debate.

Reid, like Pelosi, is expecting to have a much stronger governing majority in the Senate next year, so he has little incentive to give in to Republicans on energy policy as long as he thinks it won’t hurt Democrats.

Even as they face heat from constituents during the August break, Democrats say they aren’t going to cave in to popular pressure.

“We feel pretty comfortable with where we are,” said Rep. Michael E. Capuano (D-Mass.), who is close to the Democratic leadership. “This is a not a new issue. This just didn’t happen today. We’ve been working on this for months.”

Democratic insiders said that Pelosi and other party leaders were “not rattled” by the GOP floor rebellion, and at this point, it’s not clear if the Democrats will even pay a price on energy. State-level polling conducted by Democrats suggests that voters still view President Bush and the GOP as the incumbent power in Washington, and Democratic strategists believe any anti-incumbent wave would hurt Republicans more than Democrats.

Rep. Jeb Hensarling of Texas, one of the leaders of the rogue GOP House session, said he realizes that Democrats are “in a four-corners stall right now,” and admits that “it gets more challenging” for Republicans if they lose more seats in Congress.

Democrats are also comforted somewhat by the fact that crude oil prices have gone down more than 10 percent from their summer highs, and if the U.S. economy enters a recession, prices may fall further due to slackening demand.

“There is no crisis on our side of the aisle,” a top House Democratic leadership aide said. “We have a plan, and we will stick to it.”

Pelosi: At-risk Dems back drilling - Martin Kady II and Patrick O'Connor - Politico.com
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

So because people are stupid and don't realize that it'll take 20 years for drilling to show anything, they have to pander?

How abouT they throw up a few commercials that just say "DRILLING WILL NOT FUCKING DO ANYTHING FOR A GENERATION. it will not help you next week, it will not help you next bill. You want someone to blame? Blame the repukes and their stupid price speculation legislation that's driven prices into the stratosphere."

That might be too cerebral for the majority of dumbfuck american voters hough
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

I agree with you Grimmlok. It amazes me how in the age of the internet the public is so uninformed about issues. Not only would drilling not help us but it can harm so many other things, like the ocean,fish, environment etc. It would also put more money in the oil companies pockets,who don't give a dam about the public or the environment.

With the high cost of gas, I think people are willing to believe anything that they think will save them money at the pump. No matter how stupid it is.

Quote Originally Posted by candy27 View Post
    It amazes me how in the age of the internet the public is so uninformed about issues.
    It doesn't amaze me.

The internet is so full of lies and nonsense and slanted bullshit posing as news that it's not the internet that is going to educate the masses, if anything it's partly to blame for how stupid people are- and they're getting dumber every day....

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    With the high cost of gas, I think people are willing to believe anything that they think will save them money at the pump. No matter how stupid it is.
    Kinda like the global warming farce and how we should buy into Kyoto when the affect (if any) won't be seen for years?

If drilling now for something that *could* help in 10-20 years is absurd, then stop asking me to hug trees, burn candles and ride my bike.
    Last edited by tkdgirl; August 5th, 2008 at 01:29 PM.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Silver Member

*lol* I agree with you also witchcurlgirl. I find a lot of people today just don't have basic common sense to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Kinda like the global warming farce and how we should buy into Kyoto when the affect (if any) won't be seen for years?

If drilling now for something that *could* help in 10-20 years is absurd, then stop asking me hug trees, burn candles and ride my bike.

Yeah, fuck those long term benefits.......I won't be here and I'm 'barren' so what the hell do I care what kind of shape the world is in 40 years from now

Kyoto is a fucking joke anyway.....the big polluters have no obligations except to report their emmisions, not to actually do anything about them.....it's all just window dressing, but people swallow the bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Yeah, fuck those long term benefits.......I won't be here and I'm 'barren' so what the hell do I care what kind of shape the world is in 40 years from now

Kyoto is a fucking joke anyway.....the big polluters have no obligations except to report their emmisions, not to actually do anything about them.....it's all just window dressing, but people swallow the bullshit
    HEHEHEHE!

I think we need to do everything possible to become LESS dependent on foreign oil and energy. And if that means drilling now for results 10-20 years later, when I'll be retired driving my gas guzzling motor home, then hell yeah, do it now!

Seriously, whatever we can do to become less dependent on outside sources, the better. That includes drilling as well as exploring new technologies, reducing consumption, etc.

The effect that will see the planet inundated, diseases run rampant, and people die by the millions? That's an effect we can all work towards NOT EXPERIENCING, jesus.

If drilling now for something that *could* help in 10-20 years is absurd, then stop asking me to hug trees, burn candles and ride my bike.
    that's the most absurd argument you've made yet. Stunningly dense.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Drilling in ANWR would produce results in 5-10 years. Plus, as an immediate fix, the fact that America is aggressively drilling for oil would cause the middle east countries to up their output, thus lowering the cost.

At the same time, we need to start developing alternative means for energy. But, those will take just as long, if not longer, to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    The effect that will see the planet inundated, diseases run rampant, and people die by the millions? That's an effect we can all work towards NOT EXPERIENCING, jesus.

that's the most absurd argument you've made yet. Stunningly dense.
    Call it what you want but the basis for it is true. The premise for global warming- do something NOW for the future, is the same one you're slamming for drilling. IOW, the same stupid logic you're slamming others for is the same one you're promoting.

But bless your little heart nonetheless...

Dilling in ANWR, a PROTECTED WILDLIFE SANCTUARY for gods sake, would produde enough to keep America alone chugging along in its overconsumption for about 2 years. It would produce those results in 10-15.

ANWR is not the panacea the neocon retards think it is.

The cost right now is not a supply and demand issue. it's market speculation, fueled by idiot republican legislation that loosens the rules for said speculation.

You really think the Repukes, drenched in oil and from oil dynasty families, are really giving a fuck about the price of oil? They're drowning in money right now.

Call it what you want but the basis for it is true. The premise for global warming- do something NOW for the future, is the same one you're slamming for drilling. IOW, the same stupid logic you're slamming others for is the same one you're promoting.

But bless your little heart nonetheless...

Drilling for oil has negative consequences, conservation does not. Drilling for oil will see the planet worsen, conserving will not. Drilling for oil will exacerbate the coming crises, conservation will stop them.

When the results are diametrically opposed, the theoretical structure of the process becomes utterly irrelevant. I can't believe you're trying to make a point with that. It doesn't even make any SENSE.

last week Pelosi was quoted as saying she opposed drilling and was 'trying to save the planet'

this week she says 'fuck the planet, we need the votes'

Fucking hypocrite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information