Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: John McCain's attack strategy paying dividends

Default Poll: John McCain's attack strategy paying dividends

Poll: McCain's attack strategy paying dividends
    Associated Press
    Intensified attacks by Republican John McCain on the character of his Democratic opponent have coincided with Barack Obama losing a nine percentage point advantage in a national poll, which showed the candidates running dead even over the weekend.
    McCain, who had vowed to avoid the kind of negative tactics that were used against him in the 2000 Republican primary contest with George W. Bush, began attacking Obama during the Illinois senator's trip to Iraq and Afghanistan late last month.
    In the course of the McCain offensive, Obama's lead in a Gallup Poll tracking survey slid from nine percentage points on July 26, when he returned from overseas, to nothing by Saturday, when the poll showed the candidates tied at 44 percent.
    The four-term Arizona senator, who backed the war and claims experience with security and foreign policy issues, charged that Obama's promise to withdraw U.S. forces from Iraq within 16 months of taking office amounted to his having chosen to lose a war to promote his run for the presidency.
    McCain has not relented even though he took criticism for the remark. It appeared at the time to be a defensive response to the massive attention paid to the Obama visit to the two U.S. war fronts as well as to the Middle East and Europe.
    He subsequently ran a television ad that accused Obama of deciding not to visit wounded U.S. troops because he could not take television cameras a claim that appeared to be false. Next he issued a commercial that interpose images of Obama with pop culture figures Britney Spears and Paris Hilton, trying to paint Obama as a celebrity without the experience to lead the country.
    That was followed by accusations that Obama, who would be the first black U.S. president, had resorted to racial politics by asserting McCain and other Republicans would try to frighten Americans because Obama did not look like past U.S. presidents whose images are on the country's paper money.
    And most recently, in an Internet advertisement, the voiceover calls Obama "The One" and features Obama appearing to describe himself and his presidential quest in grandiose terms. It ends with Charlton Heston as Moses parting the Red Sea in the movie, "The Ten Commandments."
    Obama may have given McCain more fodder in recent days by announcing a readiness to compromise with Republicans on offshore oil drilling which he had opposed and apparently rejecting McCain's challenge to join him in a series of town hall meetings.
    On Saturday, Obama said McCain's campaign was cynical and trying to distract voters from real issues but that he did not believe his opponent and his campaign had engaged in racism.
    "In no way do I think John McCain's campaign was racist. I think they are cynical," Obama said. "Their team is good at creating distractions and engaging in negative attacks."

Grampa Munster's tactics are going to blow up in his face eventually.

i'll refrain from saying "well of course americans are stupid enough to fall for it, Bush has been president twice"

Seriously.. after 8 years, that many people still don't get it?

How embarrassing for the rest. Good god.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Sadly,we cannot make people take an IQ test first & demand 3 digits to qualify before voting.
    Worse,a lot of our citizens are former Canadians.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    i'll refrain from saying "well of course americans are stupid enough to fall for it, Bush has been president twice"

sadly, some people just don't learn. the US re-elected bush, italy just put berlusconi back in power, etc.
    and my faith in humanity continues to nose dive.
    people = stoopid
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

We didn't vote for Bush, the first time, in my opinion....

^^I agree, we all know he stole the election the first time around. Imagine how different things would be today if Gore was elected....

^^
    IMO that doesn't make any difference because the country did elect him the second time round. in fact, it makes it almost worse.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

McCain had to go dirty in order to stop the Obamagasm, he's not half the politician he used to be but he's playing to win.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Sadly,we cannot make people take an IQ test first & demand 3 digits to qualify before voting.
    I haven't decided who I'm voting for yet, waiting for the debates - but I think it is wrong for you guys to label people as "stupid" just because they don't agree with your political views.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    ^^I agree, we all know he stole the election the first time around. Imagine how different things would be today if Gore was elected....
    Just FYI - almost all of the recounts and studies have shown that Bush did win the 2000 election, albeit by a razor thin margin. I agree, the Supreme Court getting involved was deplorable and completely unconstitutional in my mind ... but Bush won in FL on votes and that gave him the Electoral College victory (lets not even start an EC discussion, what a joke - I don't want to even imagine the disaster the EC could create this year).

Anybody who voted for Bush, and plans to extend his political insanity by McCain, is stupid.

It's pretty much unequivocal. Frankly I don't care who's pwecious feewings I hurt.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I don't know much at all about US politics but I've got a horrible feeling Obama isn't going to be president any time soon...

Hit By Ban Bus!

Anybody who voted for Bush, and plans to extend his political insanity by McCain, is stupid.

It's pretty much unequivocal. Frankly I don't care who's pwecious feewings I hurt.
    I didn't think you would ...I wasn't worried about it hurting anyones feelings, it makes you sound like a child and it marginalizes every other point you make.

I also couldn't care if reality is too much for some of the more dim members to grasp, it'll bitchslap them soon enough.

I prefer to think of my approach as 'delayed acceptance'. I might marginalize some now, but when their stupid decisions come back to bite them in the ass 'll be there to gloat and ram their faces in it and they'll be forced to swallow my hot TOLD YOU SO load

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    Just FYI - almost all of the recounts and studies have shown that Bush did win the 2000 election, albeit by a razor thin margin. I agree, the Supreme Court getting involved was deplorable and completely unconstitutional in my mind ... but Bush won in FL on votes and that gave him the Electoral College victory (lets not even start an EC discussion, what a joke - I don't want to even imagine the disaster the EC could create this year).
    The SC stopped the county by county recounts where Gore may have received more votes. So IMO Bush did not fairly win the election, but hey, that's open to interpretation.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^ The University of Chicago, The Miami Herald and USA Today all did detailed examinations of the Florida ballots and concluded Bush would have won in any recount situation.

There is no disputing Gore won the popular vote by about 1%, but Bush took FL by 1% and under the arcane EC he won.

Gore lost Tennessee anyway ... still can't believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post

You are wicked
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information