Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Karl Rove calls Barack Obama "arrogant". He means "uppity negro."

Thumbs down Karl Rove calls Barack Obama "arrogant". He means "uppity negro."

Karl Rove says Barack Obama is arrogant.

We've heard that; we've heard the pejorative "arrogant" before. When I say "we" I mean those of us who are "others" in America; people of color. Minorities. Women. We hear the word all the time from a select section of privileged white guys; the codifying they use when they fear the silver spoons are about to be snatched from their lily palaces: "Those people... How dare they think they can work jobs like ours or live in neighborhoods like ours or send their children to school with ours? Those people are just so damn arrogant."

Arrogant, of course, is a euphemism. In the monochromatic bunkers from which old-schoolers cling to power the true word they use is "uppity" when hurled at blacks. It's the "B-word" for women. I'm not sure what the Rovian ilk use for the Latinos and Asian-Americans who dare claim their due, but I'm sure it's equally as derisive and wielded with sick pleasure.

Arrogant?

The only arrogance Obama is guilty of is the same "Unforgivable Blackness" so many exceptional people of color have demonstrated throughout the history of this country: a refusal to bend to the will of the Retro Guard. To Rove, to the neocons such attitude is wholly unacceptable. Back in the day such "arrogance" was met with a strong rope and tall branch, and anyone who believes that analogy to be too harsh, read here how Roy Bryant and J.W.Milam dealt with the arrogance of 13 year old Emmett Till.

But in this day and age Karl Rove is reduced to making statements which he does not even have the meat to own up to.

Nevertheless, speaking of Obama's "arrogance" Rove is quoted as saying: "Even if you never met (Obama), you know this guy. He's the guy at the country club with the beautiful date, holding a martini and a cigarette that stands against the wall and makes snide comments about everyone."

Really, Mr. Rove? Do you really wish to go there? I will give you the cigarette. Obama did smoke. I will give you the beautiful date. Beyond being a Harvard-educated lawyer, Michelle Obama is a beautiful woman. But I would bet the farm -- and I have a farm to bet -- that George Bush has been in more country clubs than Barack Obama. I would easily take the line on who's had more cocktails in their day. And isn't it the current president who loves to slap a condescending nickname on everyone?

And is there anything more arrogant, Mr. Rove, than ignoring the international community, the United Nations, weapons inspectors on the ground, very facts themselves, to invade a nation because you and a small cadre want to? Is there anything more arrogant than the belief that after such an invasion we as the occupying nation will be welcomed as liberators? Is there anything more arrogant than slapping on a flight suit, playing like you're the one landing on a carrier deck, making nice for the cameras before that infamous banner while tens of thousands of troops are left behind to fight, and four thousand (and counting) are left to die?

Arrogant?

It's nothing but hubris for the neocons to believe they can win the election on that one.

Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post
    Rove is such a slimeball.. this from the guy who refused to testify under subpoena and will be found in contempt this afternoon. Doughy, flaccid turdblossom.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well he's clearly wrong. Obama doesn't have a beautiful woman.

I really like how the writer managed to inject the murder of Emmitt Till, that is playing the race card talent on a par with the best, bringing the murder of a boy that happened in 1955 into a story that has nothing to do with Emmitt Till. I guess he had no more column space to squeeze in Medgar Evers or the Scottsboro boys for good measure.

I despise Karl Rove and he is a slimeball, but I use the word arrogant, and I don't use it as a synonym for uppity.....and in the dictionary they have two different meanings as well. I don't see any Rove quotes here where he uses 'uppity'. This writer is an asshole for assuming he knows what Rove is actually thinking. Unless he sidelines as a mindreader.

Of course, I also don't know anyone outside of old civil rights newsreels that actually uses the word 'uppity' or 'negro'. Is Bull Conners still alive?
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Nevertheless, speaking of Obama's "arrogance" Rove is quoted as saying: "Even if you never met (Obama), you know this guy. He's the guy at the country club with the beautiful date, holding a martini and a cigarette that stands against the wall and makes snide comments about everyone."
    'Arrogant' Obama standing in a country club, drinking and making snide comments. Hmm, that sounds more like Dubya.

And considering that this is Karl Rove we're talking about I agree that 'arrogant' is code for 'uppity.' Especially when you consider how Fox News has been crossing the line when it comes to Obama by calling his wife his 'baby mama' and saying a lynching party should go after Michelle.

And Michelle Obama is a nice-looking woman. She may not be a super model, but she's not ugly either.

I think he's arrogant and presumptuous too. He's pretty much traveling around the world like he's already President.

But what do I know. I don't like Obama so I must be a racist.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Oh McSame travelled around the world too, and nobody said boo to him. Double standard.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Obama isn't black.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    I think he's arrogant and presumptuous too. He's pretty much traveling around the world like he's already President.

But what do I know. I don't like Obama so I must be a racist.
    And wasn't it arrogant & presumptuous of McCain to travel to Colombia and Mexico, as if he was President? But I guess it's just wrong when Obama does it.

And let's not forget Obama probably wouldn't have been overseas to begin with if McCain hadn't challenged him to travel to the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Oh McSame travelled around the world too, and nobody said boo to him. Double standard.
    Yeah, he isn't being labeled the new Messiah by foreigners and media.

As far as the travel goes, I've said it before that NO presidential candidate should be campaigning overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    'Arrogant' Obama standing in a country club, drinking and making snide comments. Hmm, that sounds more like Dubya.

And considering that this is Karl Rove we're talking about I agree that 'arrogant' is code for 'uppity.' Especially when you consider how Fox News has been crossing the line when it comes to Obama by calling his wife his 'baby mama' and saying a lynching party should go after Michelle.

And Michelle Obama is a nice-looking woman. She may not be a super model, but she's not ugly either.
    How are they crossing the line, she's the one that referred to herself as that.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    And wasn't it arrogant & presumptuous of McCain to travel to Colombia and Mexico, as if he was President?

And let's not forget Obama probably wouldn't have been overseas to begin with if McCain had challenged him to travel to the Middle East.
    Did McCain hold a political rally like Obama did in Germany?

Again, STOP CAMPAIGNING on foreign soil. Everyone.

Yeah, he isn't being labeled the new Messiah by foreigners and media.
    That's because he sucks and nobody likes him.

As far as the travel goes, I've said it before that NO presidential candidate should be campaigning overseas.
    Well they both have so you might want to take aim at both lest you be seen as biased

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Double standard, much in line with the N-Word debate.

Did McCain hold a political rally like Obama did in Germany?

Again, STOP CAMPAIGNING on foreign soil. Everyone.
    Obama made a speech. McSame did the same in Canada, except to a bunch of rich old farts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    When have you ever heard a news network refer to a candidate's wife as his baby mama or that she should be lynched?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information