Thread: Barack Obama panders to the Palestinians on Jerusalem

Default Barack Obama panders to the Palestinians on Jerusalem

Palestinians say Obama "corrected" previous statement on undivided Jerusalem

July 23, 2008 10:18 AM

A statement from the Palestinian National Authority -- after Sen. Barack Obama's meeting today in Ramallah with President Mahmoud Abbas and Prime Minister Salam Fayyad at the Mukata, the president's compound -- states that Obama "corrected his statements" on supporting an "undivided Jerusalem."

Obama "said that the future of the city can be resolved through peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians," the official statement said. "The Palestinians want the eastern part of the city as the capital of their state."

Obama has previously backtracked on his declaration before the pro-Israel group AIPAC that Jerusalem should not be divided, saying that he meant it shouldn't contain barbed wire and barriers as the city did from 1949 through 1967, when the Israelis took control of East Jerusalem after the Six Day War.

At the meeting, Obama sat to the left of Abbas, Fayyed to Abbas' right. A small coffee table and Palestinian flag sat between them, photos of the late Yasser Arafat and Abbas hung on the wall. Obama advisers Dennis Ross, Jim Steinberg, Dan Shapiro. Susan Rice, and Dan Kurtzer were also there.

After the meeting, Obama, Abbas, and a phalanx of security guards walked down to the senator's motorcade.

Political Punch

pandering to the palestinians one day and the israeli's the next....this certainly is a new kind of politics....although it's being denied by Obama's people:

Obama Says Jerusalem Status Did Not Come Up With Palestinian Leaders

July 23, 2008 11:46 AM
    Despite a statement from the Palestinian National Authority that suggested that in his meeting with Palestinian leaders Sen. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, had "corrected" a previous statement supporting an "undivided Jerusalem," Obama says the subject did not come up in the meeting.

“Senator Obama did not discuss Jerusalem in the meeting with President Abbas, Prime Minister Fayyad and their colleagues," Obama senior adviser Robert Gibbs said in a statement. "His position on the issue was never raised.”

Obama himself told ABC News' Charles Gibson in an interview to air Wednesday night on World News with Charles Gibson that the topic was not raised.

Officials of the Palestinian National Authority could not immediately be reached for comment.

Political Punch
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I feel sorry for anyone who believes a word Obama says. He's turning into a bigger flip flopper than Kerry.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    I feel sorry for anyone who believes a word Obama says. He's turning into a bigger flip flopper than Kerry.
    Yeah, because McCain and the Republicans are so trustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Yeah, because McCain and the Republicans are so trustworthy.
    No politicians are trust worthy. Period. But at least McCain isn't promising rivers of chocolate, polka dot skies, furry bunnies for every child, and skipping lessons for all parents. But hey, he's all about change and hope!!!

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

No politicians are trust worthy. Period. But at least McCain isn't promising rivers of chocolate, polka dot skies, furry bunnies for every child, and skipping lessons for all parents. But hey, he's all about change and hope!!!
    Since when has Obama promised anything extravagant?

"but at least..." = words meant for fail!

No McCain's just promising to finish the job Bush started and screw the poor and middle class, while starting World War 3 in the process. Old people are funny.

Elite Member

YES!

He was here and in one speech he said "Israel dosent need to talk with the Hammas they are terrories" only few HOURS! later at the same day!! he said "Israel and the Hammas need to sit down and talk"

and ect and ect

He said one thing (the subject dosent matter bc he did that in ALL the subjects that he talk about) and then after few hours said completely different thing.

I think it's getting to the point that even Obama doesn't know what he believes anymore.
    Coffee is my happy drug

Frankly everybody should stop propping up Israel and ignore the Palestinians and let them kill each other till there's nobody left.

I'm bored of both.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Honestly, I think the big problem when it comes to Obama, and all U.S. politicians, is that they keep walking a tightrope when it comes to Israel and by extension the Palestinians. The U.S. wants to broker a peace in that situation, but the problem is the U.S. is clearly on Israel's side in that conflict. Which is why the U.S. can't mediate any peace in that situation, because we're not impartial and the Palestinians know it.

Elite Member

One of the main reasons why USA is on "Israel side" is bc they dosent want Iran to control this area.

And since Iran is the one who realy control the Palestinians, Lebanon and Syria its USA and Israel (plus Egypt, Jordan and Turkey) against Iran more then USA on "Israel side".

Im not saying that the relationship between USA and Israel isnt warm and friendly just that USA have her own motives here also.

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    One of the main reasons why USA is on "Israel side" is bc they dosent want Iran to control this area.

And since Iran is the one who realy control the Palestinians, Lebanon and Syria its USA and Israel (plus Egypt, Jordan and Turkey) against Iran more then USA on "Israel side".

Im not saying that the relationship between USA and Israel isnt warm and friendly just that USA have her own motives here also.
    Helping Israel fend off Iran, a country that wants to wipe them off the map, and brokering a peace between Israel and the Palestinians are two completely different things. But I don't think the U.S. sides with Israel just because of Iran.

And you're right, the U.S. does have it's own motives. One thing that a lot of people forget is that it was the U.S., during the Reagan years, that built up Saddam Hussein and Iraq in an effort to destabilize Iran. And that bit us in the ass when Iraq invaded Kuwait, and it's a mess that we're still cleaning up.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Helping Israel fend off Iran, a country that wants to wipe them off the map, and brokering a peace between Israel and the Palestinians are two completely different things. But I don't think the U.S. sides with Israel just because of Iran.

And you're right, the U.S. does have it's own motives. One thing that a lot of people forget is that it was the U.S., during the Reagan years, that built up Saddam Hussein and Iraq in an effort to destabilize Iran. And that bit us in the ass when Iraq invaded Kuwait, and it's a mess that we're still cleaning up.
    What i mean is that one of the reasons why USA want to be involved in the Israel-Palestinians is bc of Iran.

Iran control the Palestinians. what ever the Palestinians will get they "give" it to Iran.

Iran already have the territory of Lebanon and Syria add to that the Palestinians and you get a strong and meaningful Iran.

That is something that not Israel and not USA want from different reasons.

More countries feel the same but USA is the most loud about that.
    Last edited by marie; July 29th, 2008 at 02:40 AM.

What i mean is that one of the reasons why USA want to be involved in the Israel-Palestinians is bc of Iran.

Iran control the Palestinians. what ever the Palestinians will get they "give" it to Iran.

Iran already have the territory of Lebanon and Syria add to that the Palestinians and you get a strong and meaningful Iran.

That is something that not Israel and not USA want from different reasons.

More countries feel the same but USA is the most loud about that.
    You've got a point there.

Oh bullshit. The US helps Israel because of the Judeo CHristian sky fairy mumbo jumbo, and it just happens to occupy a strategically stupid point on the planet.

Really, whoever thought of creating a country right in the middle of your enemies was a forkin nutjob.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information