Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outrage over the Obamas cover feature image by the New Yorker

Default Outrage over the Obamas cover feature image by the New Yorker

This week's New Yorker cover features an image of Michelle and Barack Obama that combines every smeary right-wing stereotype imaginable: An image of Obama in a turban and robes fist-bumping his be-afro'd wife, dressed in the military fatigues of a revolutionary and packing a machine gun and some serious ammo. Oh yes, this quaint little scene takes place in the Oval Office, under a picture of Osama bin Laden above a roaring fireplace, in which burns an American flag. All that's missing is a token sprig of arugula.

The illustration, by Barry Blitt,is called "The Politics of Fear" and, according to the NYer press release, "satirizes the use of scare tactics and misinformation in the Presidential election to derail Barack Obama's campaign." Uh-huh. What's that they say about repeating a rumor?

Presumably the New Yorker readership is sophisticated enough to get the joke, but still: this is going to upset a lot of people, probably for the same reason it's going to delight a lot of other people, namely those on the right: Because it's got all the scare tactics and misinformation that has so far been used to derail Barack Obama's campaign — all in one handy illustration. Anyone who's tried to paint Obama as a Muslim, anyone who's tried to portray Michelle as angry or a secret revolutionary out to get Whitey, anyone who has questioned their patriotism— well, here's your image.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton called it "tasteless and offensive" and, according to Jake Tapper at ABC, another high-profile Obama supporter called it "as offensive a caricature as any magazine could publish."

grownblackandsexy

It IS lampooning that idiotic Fox news "terrorist handshake" bullshit (why do they never get fined for shit like that) but considering most people are blithering idiots, this is an epic fail.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It's Freedom of Speech.

No it's not, it's satire but it's done so that only a small minority of people will get it, while the rest will see exactly what's there because they're stupid.

Then again, how many neocons read the new yorker...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Satire still falls under FOS. Just because people don't like it doesn't mean people aren't free to say what they want. If this hurts his feelings and gets his undies in a bunch then he's not President material anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No it's not, it's satire but it's done so that only a small minority of people will get it, while the rest will see exactly what's there because they're stupid.

Then again, how many neocons read the new yorker...
    are you drunk grim? (i know i am...a little anyway)......

but duh, of course this is freedom of speech. just speech that you may not agree with.

Anyone upset doesn't understand satire.

satire is dead....america has no sense or humor or irony

anyone upset by the cover better not read the article...

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

*sigh*

It's not some jerkwad neocon from FOX throwing it up there JUST TO DISCREDIT OBAMA.. it's poking fun at such things, as a result it's satire. The intent is what would fall under freedom of speech.

if it was some jerkoff doing it just to discredit Obama, then people could scream freedom of speech. but it's not. It's supposed to be lampooning that, but it's just done so broadly and badly that idiots will take it seriously.

I think we all know the difference between satire and FOS. We are just saying the " idiots that will take it seriously" can scream FOS at this form of satire because that's exactly what it is.

Here is my problem with this. It might be freedom of speech, and satire to many different people, however they could've drawn Michelle Obama a little better. They have a history of drawing Condi Rice normally..so would it have been so hard to make her lips their normal size, and gave her straight hair!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    *sigh*

It's not some jerkwad neocon from FOX throwing it up there JUST TO DISCREDIT OBAMA.. it's poking fun at such things, as a result it's satire. The intent is what would fall under freedom of speech.

if it was some jerkoff doing it just to discredit Obama, then people could scream freedom of speech. but it's not. It's supposed to be lampooning that, but it's just done so broadly and badly that idiots will take it seriously.
    Hes right. theres such a thin line. like if something is considered libel or slander its not protected against FOS

I didn't see a whole lot of people pitching a fit when cartoons, etc. showed the president being assassinated, let alone movies, etc.

FOS. Plain and simple.

Obama's camp are a bunch of whiney bitches. If he doesn't have thick skin now, its going to suck if he's elected president... because this shit will be ten times worse.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

SVZ

I don't think many people will get it

It's obviously satire, I got it right away..... it's called the politics of fear for a reason, that's the whole point. They are using irony to poke fun at the far right. And The New Yorker is usually read by people who understand satire, as witchcurlgirl pointed out this isn't the first time something like this has been published.

....the "idiots that will take this seriously" probably wouldn't have voted for Obama in the first place now, would they?
    Last edited by nycgirl; July 14th, 2008 at 12:31 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Its satirical to me ... but this could be the first shot of the battle to come.

Let the games begin!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information