Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Make sure your child can speak Spanish- Barack Obama

Default Make sure your child can speak Spanish- Barack Obama

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama lamented legislative pushes to make English the official language of the United States and said Americans should instead focus on making sure their children learn Spanish at a recent campaign stop.

“I don’t understand when people are going around worrying about, we need to have English only. They want to pass a law, we just, we want English only,” Obama told supporters in Powder Springs, Georgia on Tuesday. “Now, I agree that immigrants should learn English, I agree with this. But understand this, instead of worrying about whether immigrants can learn English, they’ll learn English, you need to make sure your child can speak Spanish.”

He continued his thoughts by expressing embarrassment at Americans’ language skills compared to the Europeans. “You should be thinking about how can your child become bilingual,” he said. “We should have every child speaking more than one language. It’s embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German. And then we go over to Europe and all we can say is merci beacoup, right?”

As an Illinois senator, Obama voted against a measure to make English the official language of the United States in June 2007. He was one of 34 senators who voted against the measure.

At a Democratic primary debate Obama said he voted against it because “This is the kind of question that is designed precisely to divide us,” he said. He also called the issue a “distraction” a word he commonly uses to describe controversial issues. Obama remarked, “When we get distracted by those kinds of questions, I think we do a disservice to the American people.”

Townhall.com::Obama: Kids Should Learn Spanish::By Amanda Carpenter

I don't need Spanish, I can press number 1....

Actually in the global market today, kids would be better off with Mandarin or Hindi....
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I do not agree that having English as the 'official language' and teaching our kids to learn more languages are mutually exclusive. I think we need an official language and it should have been declared a long time ago. However, I agree that Euro kids are waay ahead of ours because they grown up learning other languages which is always an advantage.

It just bugs me that everything seems to be geared towards accommodating native Spanish speakers moreso than other immigrants from India, Viet Nam, the Middle East, etc.

But he needs to be more careful with how he phrases things because he will get burned and he needs to learn this quickly.

Silver Member

" It just bugs me that everything seems to be geared towards accommodating native Spanish speakers moreso than other immigrants from India, Viet Nam, the Middle East, etc. "

people from those countries and many others learn english and tend to be more indepent as newer Americans

"new world spanish" is not power player language

americans should understand power players' languages

I think parents and children should have a choice of languages to learn

chinese and russian- growing economical powers

arabic, hebrew

french and italian- languages of art, fashion and food

nope. either you speak MY language in MY country, or go home. but, we're so goddamned busy catering to the 'outsiders' we cant operate our own land. grrrrrrrrrr
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Silver Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    nope. either you speak MY language in MY country, or go home. but, we're so goddamned busy catering to the 'outsiders' we cant operate our own land. grrrrrrrrrr

please run for president

you have bigger balls then the two goofs currently

A*O

But if you say you expect people living in an English speaking country to speak, errr, you know ENGLISH you'll be accused of being racist.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

What a bunch of bullshit, Barack. You come to this country willingly then you learn to speak the language, period, or get the fuck out. I'm sick of kowtowing to the 'accommodate me because I don't speak English' crowd.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    What a bunch of bullshit, Barack. You come to this country willingly then you learn to speak the language, period, or get the fuck out. I'm sick of kowtowing to the 'accommodate me because I don't speak English' crowd.
    :werd:

You know, I get it if your English is poor, and broken because you came over to be with your grandchildren or something...that's fine. But if you're like 20 and have been here for like 10 years and can't order a drink at a Starbucks then there is a problem.

I'm all for kids learning other languages in school, but seriously, it should be for their own benefit, not to cater to others. And if you're going to come to the U.S. you should probably atleast try to learn the language, is that too much to ask? If I was going to move to Spain I would learn to speak the language fluently, it's just common sense.

Elite Member

From the remarks, it doesn't look like Obama is pushing Spanish over other languages. He's just saying that we need to speak more than just English. And he's right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I see the point of Senator Obama, but I guess it boils down to education and the need for the USA to speak more than one language. It always amazed me how people in Europe and Canada speak more than 2 languages...
    Now, on the topic of Spanish dont get me started, some places in the USA are ridiculous you dont even hear english, just spanish and a bad version of it...

of course immigrants should learn the language! and i understand some people's frustration toward what they view as the country catering to immigrants that don't bother to learn english.
    but that doesn't mean it's not important to learn other languages. i think that instead of worrying so much about immigrants or having english declared the official language (i mean, come on, it's not like it's in danger of disappearing or anything) or resenting having to press an extra button for english on the phone, people should stop being so damn resentful and open their minds a little more and think of what's best in the long term, not only in terms of their own country but also in terms of the world, and the ever quicker pace of globalisation and inter-dependance, and focus instead on broadening their horizons, starting by learning another language.
    i think it is vital to teach kids other languages in school. and to really teach them, not like they do now where really you can't say much of anything in another language even after years of learning it in high school.
    speaking another language, any language (whether it's a 'power language' or not - that's all relative) is vital. in my field, you can't even get a job as a secretary unless you can speak and write in at least 2 languages.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    It’s embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German. And then we go over to Europe and all we can say is merci beacoup, right?”
    Errr, I don't think that is true, silly man

^ though it seems like it mostly is.
    out of curiosity do students in the states have to learn a forgein language? or is it all voluntary/ an optional subject? then again i have no clue how it is handled in other european countries?! all i know is that in germany we have to learn english and at least in "gymnasium" you have to learn one more. usually you can choose between french and latin (mostly students that want to be doctors or such choose that).

If they spoke Spanish in New Jersey, French in Connecticut and Italian in Pennsylvania, I could hop around to each neighboring state and speak fluently to people they way they do in Europe. It's great to speak different languages.....but after you learn them you have to be able to speak to someone who knows them as well. I have no one to speak French to here which hinders my ability converse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information